New look for Sabres in 2018

sweetlou

Off season moves looking to future...

O'Reilly and Beaulieu to Rangers for Zuccarello and Kevin Hayes.  Rangers will have cap space and get something in return for Zuccarello who becomes UFA after this season.

Bogo and Nylander to Colorado for Barrie. 

Larsson and Baptiste to Pittsburg for Sheehan and Rust.  Pittsburg will be up against the cap and get cheaper alternatives. Sheehan becomes expendable because of them getting Brassard. 

Okposo to Arizona for Max Domi and 2nd rd 2018 pick.  Okposo helps fill salary space and an experienced scoring winger. Domi coming to Buffalo gives him a fresh start. 

Sign Raanta or Grubauer for two years to split time with Ullmark.

RFA's-

Reinhart gets 3 years 12 million (AAV $4 mil)  -  Still an RFA after this contract expires.

Wilson gets 2 years at 3 million (AAV $1.5 mil).  - Still an RFA after this contract expires.

Domi gets 3 years at 9 million (AAV $3 mil).  - Still an RFA after this contract expires.

Hayes gets 5 years at 25 million (AAV $5 mil)

Sheehan gets 3 years at 9 million (AAV $3 mil)

Rust gets 4 years at 12 million (AAV $3 mil)

Line up-

Middlestat- Eichel- Zuccarello

Domi- Hayes- Reinhart

Wilson- Sheehan- Rust

Girgensons- Rodrigues- Pommer

Guhle- Barrie

Scandella- Risto

McCabe- Nelson

Ullmark

Raanta or Grubauer

This line up makes the Sabres younger and faster and better on D.

Bogosian, has necrotic value.  He has no chance of netting a pure upgrade with even Nylander.

I don't see the value in the Rangers deal.  I'd rather keep O'Reilly over that.  

The Okposo deal makes no sense for Arizona, given that while Domi may be traded at the draft, I'm not sure Okposo can net that return.  

The Penguins deal makes "some" sense, however I'm not sure you can get Rust included in that deal.  I'm good with getting rid of Larsson, he's proven to be less the player than I personally thought he was.  

If we trade O'Reilly for anything that isn't a bonafide top pair defenseman, I quit.

Absolutely. Can't understand many fans who grossly undervalue ROR. Next to Jack he's our best player. Plays both ends of the ice and great faceoff guy. Guess I shouldn't be surprised when I see how highly some valued Kane.

I really think ROR's future revolves around the potential signing of Tavares.  If we sign him, ROR is expendable and maybe needs to move due to his salary.  If we don't sign JT or a comparable center that would be a clear upgrade, ROR stays.  ROR's statement that he thinks he's going to be traded may hang on his impression that the Sabres plan to make a strong play for JT in free agency.

Edited by Anordning

Absolutely. Can't understand many fans who grossly undervalue ROR. Next to Jack he's our best player. Plays both ends of the ice and great faceoff guy. Guess I shouldn't be surprised when I see how highly some valued Kane.

ROR played like an utter corpse for the first 30-odd games of the season, which is the period when the season was lost.

I agree that he has looked like a good-to-very-good player quite often during his tenure here, but he also deserves plenty of criticism for this season.

I really think ROR's future revolves around the potential signing of Tavares.  If we sign him, ROR is expendable and maybe needs to move due to his salary.  If we don't sign JT or a comparable center that would be a clear upgrade, ROR stays.  ROR's statement that he thinks he's going to be traded may hang on his impression that the Sabres plan to make a strong play for JT in free agency.

There is less than 0% chance that Tavares will sign here.

(IF) He's leaving Long Island because the organization is a mess and he wants to compete for a Stanley Cup, not join up a team whose restarting their 2nd rebuild after floundering in the basement of the standings for 1/2 of his career.

ROR played like an utter corpse for the first 30-odd games of the season, which is the period when the season was lost.

His bad start was a lot shorter than that - 0-1-1 in his first six games.

He then ripped off 14 points in his next 15

ROR in October -- 4 goals, 8 pts in 12 games, minus-9

ROR in November -- 3 goals, 8 pts in 13 games, minus-8

ROR in December -- 2 goals, 8 pts in 12 games, plus-2

There was also a stretch from mid-Nov. to early Jan in which he had 2 goals in 21 games.

I stand by my corpse assertion.

There was also a stretch from mid-Nov. to early Jan in which he had 2 goals in 21 games.

Those numbers are barely off his career averages. If they indicate he was a corpse, then he's always been a corpse.

I agree that 8 pts in 12 or 13 games doesn't by itself establish corpsehood.  I was just responding to MOM's 14 pts in 15 games assertion.

In any case, I think corpsehood was established by the eye test, as well as by the 2 goals in 21 games.

He had two slumps this year offensively: games 1-6 (where he was a corpse) and games 22-28 where he wasn’t a corpse but didn’t produce. But if you want to call 18 points in 30 games corpse like, fill your boots. You’ll find a Walking Dead level of zombies with those standards.

Edited by dudacek

I agree that he has looked like a good-to-very-good player quite often during his tenure here, but he also deserves plenty of criticism for this season.

Great. Let's trade him and see what all the experts have to say then. Just tired of so many quick to dump our second best player and touted Evander as our best player. Evander was a very talented and self absorbed player. A common trait with professional athletes.

Great. Let's trade him and see what all the experts have to say then. Just tired of so many quick to dump our second best player and touted Evander as our best player. Evander was a very talented and self absorbed player. A common trait with professional athletes.

I'm not advocating that they dump him.  I'm simply saying that, notwithstanding respectable assist production, he had a crappy pre-xmas part of the season, which is when the season was lost.  I want more than that from the guy who was supposed to be the next Drury.

I suspect he'd say the same thing.

I'm not advocating that they dump him. I'm simply saying that, notwithstanding respectable assist production, he had a crappy pre-xmas part of the season, which is when the season was lost. I want more than that from the guy who was supposed to be the next Drury.

I suspect he'd say the same thing.

I'd love if they move on from him. At his age, with his term on that contract he will be a problem in 3 years.

As for his play, he has a knack for being invisible yet showing up on a score sheet. Great trait for a 4th or 5th wheel. But not for a cornerstone.

In terms of worth, he may be the most tradeable asset we have. If you want a different dynamic, moving him is likely a good start.

Bogosian, has necrotic value.  He has no chance of netting a pure upgrade with even Nylander.

I don't see the value in the Rangers deal.  I'd rather keep O'Reilly over that.  

The Okposo deal makes no sense for Arizona, given that while Domi may be traded at the draft, I'm not sure Okposo can net that return.  

The Penguins deal makes "some" sense, however I'm not sure you can get Rust included in that deal.  I'm good with getting rid of Larsson, he's proven to be less the player than I personally thought he was.  

So nix O'Reilly to Rangers deal and plug him into the Arizona deal and keep Okposo.

O'Reilly for Domi and 2nd rd pick.

Send Beaulieu, Nylander and 2nd to Colorado for Barrie.

Mittelstadt- Eichel- Okposo

Domi- Reinhart- Pomminstein

Wilson- Sheehan- Rust

Girgensons- ERod- Bailey

Gulhe- Barrie

Scandella- Risto

McCabe- Bogo

You know when a team sucks a lot of attention is put on the stars.

The problem is not O’reilly, it’s a lack of O’Reillys.

Good band. Irish folk.

One of the best death metal bands of all time. Saw them at the Great Valley VFW Post in November of '86.

If we trade O'Reilly for anything that isn't a bonafide top pair defenseman, I quit.

Here's where my concern, and presumably Eleven's concern, about the Kane trade comes into focus. Jason makes it known that ROR is available. You're telling me 30 GMs aren't absolutely salivating to take the kid for another ride?

So nix O'Reilly to Rangers deal and plug him into the Arizona deal and keep Okposo.

Wilson- Sheehan- Rust

Girgensons- ERod- Bailey

Gulhe- Barrie

Scandella- Risto

McCabe- Bogo

Is there a reason you keep proposing to trade O'Reilly for worse players?

Here's where my concern, and presumably Eleven's concern, about the Kane trade comes into focus. Jason makes it known that ROR is available. You're telling me 30 GMs aren't absolutely salivating to take the kid for another ride?

I'm really not too worried about that. Botterill had zero leverage with the Kane trade; he would have considerable leverage in any ROR talks.

Wilson- Sheehan- Rust

Girgensons- ERod- Bailey

Gulhe- Barrie

Scandella- Risto

McCabe- Bogo

Domi has like 10 goals in his last what, 120 games played? And he's BEYOND trash in his own zone. Why on earth is that reasonable value for ROR?

Edited by Randall Flagg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.