Defense Next Year

GASabresIUFAN

According to Hawks fans, Keith is already a shell of his former self. We should target other vets

I think that's the consensus around the league. Keith and Seabrooke are pretty toast at this point. Might have another surprising year, maybe 2, but they're no longer top pairing guys. 

Another example of why the league has started to pay for potential and not past performance

5 more years at 5.5M cap hit. He'll be 39 by the time that contract ends

That is highly possible - for one more year. But it should get the attitude changed, should provide Eichel the opportunity to become the leader, and should let them grow together as a team. I think it can create a culture shift and the trajectory will be positive.

If you can show me a better way to change this deep rooted culture of losing and quitting I am all ears. If not, a youth oriented reset is the only way.

For starters, upgrade the wings so we have enough talent to actually win games.  That right there is a better was to change a deep rooted culture of losing.  You aren't upgrading anything penciling in Girgensons, Nylander, and your entire 3rd and 4th lines.

And I disagree with more youth on the roster.  Now is the time to bring in some proven winners that have some time under their belts.  Let them teach Jack, Sam, Casey, and Rasmii how to win in the NHL.

For starters, upgrade the wings so we have enough talent to actually win games.  That right there is a better was to change a deep rooted culture of losing.  You aren't upgrading anything penciling in Girgensons, Nylander, and your entire 3rd and 4th lines.

And I disagree with more youth on the roster.  Now is the time to bring in some proven winners that have some time under their belts.  Let them teach Jack, Sam, Casey, and Rasmii how to win in the NHL.

Yeah but who are those vets you want to bring in?

Identify these NHL defencemen by their numbers the past three years.

They range from the league’s 12th highest scoring D to its 33rd.

34/110/144 -65

47/89/136 -59

26/102/128 -54

21/106/127 -55

32/91/123 -35

21/94/115 -41

16/97/113 -28

41/64/105 -66

Barrie

Ekman-Larsson

Leddy

Ristolainen

Shattenkirk

Reilly

Brodie

Faulk

If Risto is bad, he’s in pretty good company.

Yeah but who are those vets you want to bring in?

I have no idea right now.  I pretty much shot what I had with everyone's admission that Sam = Sharp.  :P

I just don't think that kids on top of kids is what is best for our elite, young core.  I want them surrounded by a similar number of guys that have fought the war and won, so to speak.

edit to add-- Honestly, I haven't watched much hockey the last 3 seasons.  This tank and resulting suckitude has seriously hurt watching the league for me.  I watched the whole league when Buffalo was relevant and how the league stood compared to Buffalo mattered.  I couldn't spit out names that I want now because I've lost touch with the last 4 years, the guys that made a difference in that time, and what their contract status is.

So, I got no specific ideas, but I've had alot of time freed up.  :D

Edited by We've

I have no idea right now.  I pretty much shot what I had with everyone's admission that Sam = Sharp.  :P

I just don't think that kids on top of kids is what is best for our elite, young core.  I want them surrounded by a similar number of guys that have fought the war and won, so to speak.

edit to add-- Honestly, I haven't watched much hockey the last 3 seasons.  This tank and resulting suckitude has seriously hurt watching the league for me.  I watched the whole league when Buffalo was relevant and how the league stood compared to Buffalo mattered.  I couldn't spit out names that I want now because I've lost touch with the last 4 years, the guys that made a difference in that time, and what their contract status is.

So, I got no specific ideas, but I've had alot of time freed up.  :D

But sometimes, as we have seen here and in Colorado, it’s best to keep this worn out vets away from the kids.

But sometimes, as we have seen here and in Colorado, it’s best to keep this worn out vets away from the kids.

It's all about which vets you pick.  Yes, grabbing a bunch of guys from losing organizations is a mistake. 

I think that's the consensus around the league. Keith and Seabrooke are pretty toast at this point. Might have another surprising year, maybe 2, but they're no longer top pairing guys. 

Another example of why the league has started to pay for potential and not past performance

5 more years at 5.5M cap hit. He'll be 39 by the time that contract ends

To be honest while Seabrook is cooked, I think Keith may still have a little left in the tank due to how he plays the game. Place him next to Dahlin and I'd bet he'll look like he did a couple years ago. Not to mention his resume is worth the contract, 2 Norris, a Conn Smythe and 3 Cups where he had an instrumental part of winning them. He's reliable health wise and aside from this year he was still a solid Dman. And this year he was playing the Ristolainen role on a defense that has been stripped of most of its overall talent.

What about

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/679026

To be honest while Seabrook is cooked, I think Keith may still have a little left in the tank due to how he plays the game. Place him next to Dahlin and I'd bet he'll look like he did a couple years ago. Not to mention his resume is worth the contract, 2 Norris, a Conn Smythe and 3 Cups where he had an instrumental part of winning them. He's reliable health wise and aside from this year he was still a solid Dman. And this year he was playing the Ristolainen role on a defense that has been stripped of most of its overall talent.

What about

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/679026

Solid effort, but I just can't live with those wingers

Solid effort, but I just can't live with those wingers

The problem is there aren't many wingers out there...... either they'd require to many assets or they are one dimensional.

I liked my McCabe for Yamamoto deal seeing as I could really see Edmonton biting on that and he's a solid winger prospect.

Vanek is a 1 year guy who has spurts of speed and still scores

Wilson is a solid bottom 6 winger

ERod I really want to see with Eichel

as for RW

Okposo should bounce back this year to some degree

Reinhart (2nd Half) would be our best winger

Baptiste, speedy who has scoring potential

Pominville & Hendricks, vet presence who sit on the bottom line or in the suites

Bailey, extra fast guy

The problem is there aren't many wingers out there...... either they'd require to many assets or they are one dimensional.

I liked my McCabe for Yamamoto deal seeing as I could really see Edmonton biting on that and he's a solid winger prospect.

Vanek is a 1 year guy who has spurts of speed and still scores

Wilson is a solid bottom 6 winger

ERod I really want to see with Eichel

as for RW

Okposo should bounce back this year to some degree

Reinhart (2nd Half) would be our best winger

Baptiste, speedy who has scoring potential

Pominville & Hendricks, vet presence who sit on the bottom line or in the suites

Bailey, extra fast guy

Bailey and Baptiste are fast for sure, but, they haven't really shown a whole lot on the NHL level.  They have had their chances, granted on a losing team for years now.  i think the window is close to closing for Baptiste, Bailey, and throw in Nylander, Fasching as well.

Bailey and Baptiste are fast for sure, but, they haven't really shown a whole lot on the NHL level.  They have had their chances, granted on a losing team for years now.  i think the window is close to closing for Baptiste, Bailey, and throw in Nylander, Fasching as well.

Not sure what this has to do with defense, but Nylander is 3 years younger then Bailey, Baptiste and Fasching. There are certainly issues with Nylander, but running out of chances do to age isn’t one of them.

Not sure what this has to do with defense, but Nylander is 3 years younger then Bailey, Baptiste and Fasching. There are certainly issues with Nylander, but running out of chances do to age isn’t one of them.

i was simply responding to someone else's post that veered off topic from defense in which he mentions those players, my apologies from further veering off the topic of defense.

i was simply responding to someone else's post that veered off topic from defense in which he mentions those players, my apologies from further veering off the topic of defense.

That wasn't his issue with your post, you have already written of Nylander after a bad injury to start the year which took him all year to recover from.

I'm not saying he is looking good, but writing him of is a bridge to far.   Lets see what he does next year first.

With the Pilut signing our bottom LHD really starting to look good.  Guhle, McCabe , Pilut should make for an interesting fight.

Down to the studs is an interesting choice of words.

It implies the studs will be kept.

And raises the question: who are the studs?

Fwiw, I interpreted studs as in:

an upright support in the wall of a building to which sheathing, drywall, etc.,

As opposed to ya know someone studly.

Fwiw, I interpreted studs as in:

an upright support in the wall of a building to which sheathing, drywall, etc.,

As opposed to ya know someone studly.

Maybe both meanings were intended?  Presents an interesting concept. 

That wasn't his issue with your post, you have already written of Nylander after a bad injury to start the year which took him all year to recover from.

I'm not saying he is looking good, but writing him of is a bridge to far.   Lets see what he does next year first.

With the Pilut signing our bottom LHD really starting to look good.  Guhle, McCabe , Pilut should make for an interesting fight.

I said the window is closing, didn't write him off yet, but, he's likely on a short leash IMO.

with regards to LHD - Guhle seems to be trending towards being a good NHLer, McCabe is a fine 4-5 d-man and Pilut is still unknown.  Hoping he doesnt become last years Antipin

• 1 month later...

Identify these NHL defencemen by their numbers the past three years.

They range from the league’s 12th highest scoring D to its 33rd.

34/110/144 -65

47/89/136 -59

26/102/128 -54

21/106/127 -55

32/91/123 -35

21/94/115 -41

16/97/113 -28

41/64/105 -66

Barrie

Ekman-Larsson

Leddy

Ristolainen

Shattenkirk

Reilly

Brodie

Faulk

If Risto is bad, he’s in pretty good company.

What do the numbers look like at even strength? We all know Risto is really good on the PP; it's even strength where he's a mess. His value will drop considerably when Dahlin takes over the top PP unit.

D is getting crowded.

Dahlin, Scandella and Risto are a given

Now we have Hunwick, McCabe, Bogo, Nelson, and Guhle.

Pilut starts in Roch, with Borgen and Hickey plus the vets.

Are we done? I don’t think so at least at the NHL level.

Adding a RHD is a must, even if Dahlin plays the right side (and he may not).

D is getting crowded.

Dahlin, Scandella and Risto are a given

Now we have Hunwick, McCabe, Bogo, Nelson, and Guhle.

Pilut starts in Roch, with Borgen and Hickey plus the vets.

Are we done? I don’t think so at least at the NHL level.

Beaulieu and Tennyson are in the mix as well. We have about 10 guys pending trades. The one bad contract is Bogo with a $5.1million cap hit. No one will take that contract though.

Beaulieu and Tennyson are in the mix as well. We have about 10 guys pending trades. The one bad contract is Bogo with a $5.1million cap hit. No one will take that contract though.

No to Tennyson. He has been passed on the depth chart by Guhle and Nelson

Baloo maybe, because of his contract. However I’d say Guhle and Nelson have passed him as well.

Parayko.  He was in the Ron T twitter report of the ROR trade.  We'll see if he comes to pass.

If we were able to add Parayko (especially at the expense of ROR) I would go as far as to say defence will have become our strength. We'd be looking at D pairings sometime in the near future like:

Dahlin - Parayko

Scandella - Ristolainen

Guhle - Borgen/Nelson/Whoever

Effectively revamping our entire defence by adding in not just a legit top pair, but a probably franchise D-man in that spot, to boot. If Dahlin plays on the right, it could look something like:

Scandella - Dahlin

Guhle - Parayko

McCabe - Ristolainen

That's a hell off a third pair. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.