Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

56 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Here’s something else:  McD sounded pretty shell-shocked yesterday with Schopp and Chris.  Like someone staring into the abyss who didn’t expect to be there but knows he’s very much there.  

I'll have to go and listen. 

In his defence (not sure why I'm offering it), it could be very, very tricky to find the right tone given his role and team's performance. Maybe he is actually shell-shocked, but he could also be struggling to figure how best to talk about what's going on (from an optics perspective).

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

How could they possibly look at this roster and think it would produce anything other than bad football? Did they really think Tyrod/Dennison were the problems on offense? Did they genuinely just overrate...everything...because they made the playoffs last year?

It's a complete and total mystery to me what they had in mind on the offensive side of the ball. I mean, on D, at least they drafted a young stud and made some FA moves (bad ones, it would appear). But on offence -- what the actual fook? It's possible that that might be the worst offensive unit in the history of the non-strike NFL. McCoy at 30 years of age might save them from that judgment.

Unless, of course, the plan was to soft-tank.

13 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

In his defence (not sure why I'm offering it), it could be very, very tricky to find the right tone given his role and team's performance. Maybe he is actually shell-shocked, but he could also be struggling to figure how best to talk about what's going on (from an optics perspective).

It's a complete and total mystery to me what they had in mind on the offensive side of the ball. I mean, on D, at least they drafted a young stud and made some FA moves (bad ones, it would appear). But on offence -- what the actual fook? It's possible that that might be the worst offensive unit in the history of the non-strike NFL. McCoy at 30 years of age might save them from that judgment.

Unless, of course, the plan was to soft-tank.

This is definitely possible, but it doesn't really make me feel any better going forward. If we adopt the Howard Simon theory that they knew the offense would stink, but couldn't fix everything in one offseason, so they opted for defense first....it still leaves us room to evaluate the things they have done on offense. Jordan Matthews, Kelvin Benjamin, Zay Jones, MIke Tolbert, Chris Ivory, Russell Bodine, Marhsall Newhouse, Nathan Peterman....what among their offensive additions would give me any confidence that when they finally do decide to spend an offseason investing in the offense that they'll actually get it right? On merit, I would disagree with the decision to build the defense before the offense when you invested a lot in a QB prospect, but even if I were to put that aside...why should anyone believe in their offensive judgment?

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

This is definitely possible, but it doesn't really make me feel any better going forward. If we adopt the Howard Simon theory that they knew the offense would stink, but couldn't fix everything in one offseason, so they opted for defense first....it still leaves us room to evaluate the things they have done on offense. Jordan Matthews, Kelvin Benjamin, Zay Jones, MIke Tolbert, Chris Ivory, Russell Bodine, Marhsall Newhouse, Nathan Peterman....what among their offensive additions would give me any confidence that when they finally do decide to spend an offseason investing in the offense that they'll actually get it right? On merit, I would disagree with the decision to build the defense before the offense when you invested a lot in a QB prospect, but even if I were to put that aside...why should anyone believe in their offensive judgment?

I never have and have never seen anything that should convince me to start.

30 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Jordan Matthews, Kelvin Benjamin, Zay Jones, MIke Tolbert, Chris Ivory, Russell Bodine, Marhsall Newhouse, Nathan Peterman....what among their offensive additions would give me any confidence that when they finally do decide to spend an offseason investing in the offense that they'll actually get it right? 

Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

40 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I never have and have never seen anything that should convince me to start.

19 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Right. The one thing that looks good is Dion Dawkins--getting at least a decent LT with a 3rd round pick is nice. But man, when that's you're only hit...

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

Has some premier edge rushers up front that we desperately need

agree, would love to see Bosa in a Bills jersey, but, i can see a trade down 6-10 and pick up numerous picks, i think the O-line/WR issue is more important(very slight) than an edge rusher ATM.  

I really hope that Beane doesn't trade up in any of the rounds, you can hit on OL with 3rd and 4th picks

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Well, you could certainly be right about the bolded, but to me it sounded more like shell-shock arising from being unambiguously smashed in the face by the realization that "the process" was dead wrong about quite a few things, including his decision on the most important position on the team -- and that he very likely is looking at 4-12 or worse.  Not to mention the fact that Mahomes, the QB he passed over last year, looks terrific.

I will be curious to hear your thoughts if you listen to the interview.

59 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Not to mention the fact that Mahomes, the QB he passed over last year, looks terrific.

This is a huge concern.

Of course, the reality is that if you don't have an offensively-gifted coach like Reid, a talent like Mahomes may not become anything.

2 hours ago, WildCard said:

Has some premier edge rushers up front that we desperately need

I'd trade out of the top spot if they draft #1. Even if they only move down 3 or 4places they can pick up an extra 2nd and 3rd round pick (whatever the chart says is fair value). They desperately need offensive and defensive talent. We need at least 3 offensive lineman. 3 wide receivers. And that is just me thinking off the top of my head. 

Edited by LGR4GM

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'd trade out of the top spot if they draft #1. Even if they only move down 3 or 4places they can pick up an extra 2nd and 3rd round pick (whatever the chart says is fair value). They desperately need offensive and defensive talent. We need at least 3 offensive lineman. 3 wide receivers. And that is just me thinking off the top of my head. 

When's the last time the top spot was traded out for for a team that wanted a defensive player? I feel like the only way you get that trade is if Fromm or Griere or whoever the dude is in Oregon end up being Heisman winners

This franchise is so allergic to high-end talent that the fan base is even allergic to it. If they land at number one they should pick at number one. We weren’t in position to trade for Khalil Mack or sign Kirk Cousins or yada yada.

There’s a pretty decent list of teams in the top handful of picks that traded out and ended up with nothing or little to show for it.

2 minutes ago, Hoss said:

This franchise is so allergic to high-end talent that the fan base is even allergic to it. If they land at number one they should pick at number one. We weren’t in position to trade for Khalil Mack or sign Kirk Cousins or yada yada.

There’s a pretty decent list of teams in the top handful of picks that traded out and ended up with nothing or little to show for it.

Calling Kirk Cousins high end talent is pretty bold ?

• Like (+1) 1

I love high end talent. The Bills have so little talent that I want pull in as much as possible. An extra 2nd means a starting offensive lineman. We need them. I'm fine drafting 1 and taking an edge rusher. We better spend every other asset then on fixing the line and the receivers 

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Well, you could certainly be right about the bolded, but to me it sounded more like shell-shock arising from being unambiguously smashed in the face by the realization that "the process" was dead wrong about quite a few things, including his decision on the most important position on the team -- and that he very likely is looking at 4-12 or worse.  Not to mention the fact that Mahomes, the QB he passed over last year, looks terrific.

I will be curious to hear your thoughts if you listen to the interview.

You swap Peterman with Mahomes against the Ravens and the result is probably not much different.    

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.