Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

Food for thought...

Browns tried to trade a 2nd and 3rd round pick for McCarron. They only gave up a third to get Tyrod. Contract obviously comes into play in these valuations. But still, interesting how things came full circle. 

Browns wanted McCarron. Their execs celebrated the agreement like it was their first win in 2 years (oh wait...) and didn't put the call in in time. They later got Tyrod instead. McCarron comes to Buffalo to replace Tyrod... Full circle, people. Full circle around the wagons ;)

If we're dumb enough to take Allen all bets are off. They could bring back EJ and start him for all I care at that point

If they're dumb enough to trade Taylor without a plan to the point where AJ freaking McCarron is the vet coming into camp, they're dumb enough to draft Allen.

Here's to 17 more, folks.

McCarron is just as good as any rental "keep the seat warm" QB keeping the seat warm for Josh Rosen. 

Really.  He's as good as Bridgewater?  As Bradford?  

They are betting a lot of chips that a real QB will be there for the plucking either through trade or through picking. Maybe a Foles trade is the backup if they are unable to trade up and get their guy.

Imagine going into the season with McCarron, Peterman and the fifth-best QB in the draft.

Edited by dudacek

If they're dumb enough to trade Taylor without a plan to the point where AJ freaking McCarron is the vet coming into camp, they're dumb enough to draft Allen.

no capspace if you want to fill other holes.

At this point, it's merely speculation that he's better than Taylor. So, it is definitely wishful (hopeful?) thinking thst he's better than either of those 2 former Vikings.

The extra draft pick he comes w/ plus the ridiculously low price might tip the scales towards him over Taylor. And maybe the extra $'s left in the Bills' cap might tip the scales in his favor against those other 2, but that is a much further stretch.

Right now, whether people like him as the guy vying w/ the near definitely brought in rookie, or hate him, they have to admit he is still very much so an unknown quantity. As the rookie will also be, and in a BEST case, so is Peterman, not a huge fan of this move. But am hopeful it works out. (Got nothing left but hope at this point.)

Taylor's ceiling was low, but his floor was/is WAY higher than any of the other 3 (or possibly even 4, not counting Webb) guys they'll be trying out this summer. Unless management thought keeping Taylor to compete w/ the rookie would cause Flutie/Johnson levels of discord in the locker room, these 2 QB moves seem to be far riskier than they needed to be.

Geez. This is obdurately negative.

McBeane’s moves this offseason have been shrewd. There seems to be more of a plan at OBD than there’s been since the team’s heyday.

To this point, the evaluation is an asset-based one — the McBeane FO has been smart with asset management and theoretical roster building. Now they hafta score with a QB pick — which means, in large measure, they have to have some good fortune. Which: Same as it ever was.

Taylor's ceiling was low, but his floor was/is WAY higher than any of the other 3 (or possibly even 4, not counting Webb) guys they'll be trying out this summer. Unless management thought keeping Taylor to compete w/ the rookie would cause Flutie/Johnson levels of discord in the locker room, these 2 QB moves seem to be far riskier than they needed to be.

Man - I am so done with the low-floor approach.

Certainly there’s risk here. Far riskier than needed? I’m not so sure about that.

Seattle thought they were relying on, who — Matt Flynn? — the year Wilson emerged. Having an Alex Smith in place probably would have been better — but not at the price and term, he fetched — no, sir. Overpaying for a FA QB would have been riskier to longer term success than what they’re doing now.

The idea seems to be to build a terrific roster around a cost controlled quarterback. Giddee up. And bonne chance!

Food for thought...

Browns tried to trade a 2nd and 3rd round pick for McCarron. They only gave up a third to get Tyrod. Contract obviously comes into play in these valuations. But still, interesting how things came full circle.

Browns wanted McCarron. Their execs celebrated the agreement like it was their first win in 2 years (oh wait...) and didn't put the call in in time. They later got Tyrod instead. McCarron comes to Buffalo to replace Tyrod... Full circle, people. Full circle around the wagons ;)

Good stuff.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Bradford made 20M on a one year deal, and for someone who has as much luck staying upright with his noodle of an arm, he might be out by December 1st with an injury.  Bridgewater had one of the ugliest injuries in recent history.  I'm not bringing him in to be my starter unless there is a better saturation rate on what he can do in full contact.  So yeah, i will take the relative unknown over huge injury risks.  Again, the likelihood come year 2 that McCarron is the Bills starter is less than 30-70% in favor.  I would say he's destined to be an overpaid back up next year.  The Allen fluff could be a complete smoke screen.  Allen has an arm, but so did EJ.  No thanks.  Rosen all the way.

Edited by De Listig Ett

From Ross Tucker, fwiw:

“Bills getting AJ McCarron for 25 cents on the Sam Bradford dollar feels like the best value in free agency so far.”

Other then Cousins what has any of the FA QBs proven. Bradford has collected millions while being out for most of his careers with injuries. Odds are he won't last 5 weeks. Bridgewater is young inexperienced and injury prone. Keemun was the ultimate unproven journeyman before playing great last season at 30 years old.

My guess is that Beane decided the risk wasn't worth the $ and took the chance that AJ just needs an opportunity for very little football $.

Sadly after Cousins, Cleveland got the most proven, albeit mediocre QB, in Taylor.

I'll remind you that we are only 1 day into Free Agency my friend. I think AJ McCarron was the value they were looking at to avoid the situation they were in last year, where if the starter struggles then they have to turn to 5 INT Peterman as a rookie instead of having a competent backup.

I in no way expect AJ McCarron to start more than a handful of games for the Bills. Josh Rosen will be the starter by midway through this season.

So who have we signed so far?

Davis to replace Gaines at CB.

Ivory to be the backup/3rd string RB

Bush to replace Aaron Williams at S

Lotulei to replace Dareus on the D line

Murphy, DE, to add pass rushing

Also signed a depth LB, Stanford, and a depth DE.

Re-signed Pitts, CB, Yarbrough, DE, Kyle Williams, and Thomas, TE.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

So who have we signed so far?

Davis to replace Gaines at CB.

Ivory to be the backup/3rd string RB

Bush to replace Aaron Williams at S

Lotulei to replace Dareus on the D line

Murphy, DE, to add pass rushing

Also signed a depth LB, Stanford, and a depth DE.

Re-signed Pitts, CB, Yarbrough, DE, Kyle Williams, and Thomas, TE.

Bush belongs in the "also signed depth". He will not see the field behind Poyer and Hyde.

Also GR reported that the Bills are expected to have a private meeting in Norman Oklahoma and/or in Orchard Park with Baker Mayfield.

Oh, yeah, man. I like the sound of it.

Mind you: I have *no* clue whether Mayfield can get it done in the NFL. I haven't watched him much, and I also am not good at evaluating foobaw talent.  I have come to realize that, chief among other things, most successful NFL QBs need a workaholic approach to their job (Big Ben maybe an exception?). Those dudes need to study and grind and process information like no one else on the roster.

But Mayfield sounds and seems to have some "it" to him. Bring it on!

Bradford made 20M on a one year deal, and for someone who has as much luck staying upright with his noodle of an arm, he might be out by December 1st with an injury.  Bridgewater had one of the ugliest injuries in recent history.  I'm not bringing him in to be my starter unless there is a better saturation rate on what he can do in full contact.  So yeah, i will take the relative unknown over huge injury risks.  Again, the likelihood come year 2 that McCarron is the Bills starter is less than 30-70% in favor.  I would say he's destined to be an overpaid back up next year.  The Allen fluff could be a complete smoke screen.  Allen has an arm, but so did EJ.  No thanks.  Rosen all the way.

We're talking about McCarron, and you're telling me Bradford has a noodle of an arm?  Did you watch either of these guys in college?  Have you watched Bradford at all in the NFL?  He has a great arm.  McCarron is the one who is Pennington.

I'll remind you that we are only 1 day into Free Agency my friend. I think AJ McCarron was the value they were looking at to avoid the situation they were in last year, where if the starter struggles then they have to turn to 5 INT Peterman as a rookie instead of having a competent backup.

I in no way expect AJ McCarron to start more than a handful of games for the Bills. Josh Rosen will be the starter by midway through this season.

You're not helping me feel better about 2018.

We're talking about McCarron, and you're telling me Bradford has a noodle of an arm?  Did you watch either of these guys in college?  Have you watched Bradford at all in the NFL?  He has a great arm.  McCarron is the one who is Pennington.

You're not helping me feel better about 2018.

Well then I guess I just have my rose colored glasses on. I'm excited to finally take a shot on a top rookie QB instead of shopping in the retread bargain bin for the most important position in football.

I admit, I am drinking the Beane and Bills kool-aide.  But some of the things I have read on TBD and Twitter sound eerily familiar.

"Beane is cold and calculated"  "He's not afraid to make the big bold moves" etc etc.

Sounds a lot like what Sabres fans were saying a few years ago about GMTM, in fact some of the quotes are almost verbatim.  I am pretty pleased with the moves, especially Murphy, but McCarron, I am not super thrilled about, as mentioned, he only has a handful more starts than Peterman.  Assuming the Bills move up again and get their top 4 rookie QB, next year could truly be one of those one step backwards to eventually take 3 steps forward.

The biggest thing we have going for us is our defense, was solid last year and they really have made it better, addressed the D-line, our secondary will be among the best again, just need a solid LB in the draft and we are going to have a top 5 defense.  

Not to thrilled about the offense though, WR's are still meh and with a rookie, McCarron and Peterman to be our starter, not looking awesome.  will be another year of riding McCoy and now much tread does he have on the tires?  

Edited by Marions Piazza

Geez. This is obdurately negative.

McBeane’s moves this offseason have been shrewd. There seems to be more of a plan at OBD than there’s been since the team’s heyday.

To this point, the evaluation is an asset-based one — the McBeane FO has been smart with asset management and theoretical roster building. Now they hafta score with a QB pick — which means, in large measure, they have to have some good fortune. Which: Same as it ever was.

Man - I am so done with the low-floor approach.

Certainly there’s risk here. Far riskier than needed? I’m not so sure about that.

Seattle thought they were relying on, who — Matt Flynn? — the year Wilson emerged. Having an Alex Smith in place probably would have been better — but not at the price and term, he fetched — no, sir. Overpaying for a FA QB would have been riskier to longer term success than what they’re doing now.

The idea seems to be to build a terrific roster around a cost controlled quarterback. Giddee up. And bonne chance!

Good stuff.

Pretty sure you meant high floor. ;) But we aren't talking high floor/ low ceiling for the starter. (Not the expected LT starter at any rate.) The expected starter by the quarter pole will be the rookie they make one more trade up to land. Here's hoping it's Mayfield, but Rosen works likely, as well.

But this is a team that was a legit 9-7 and w/ a serviceable QB should be in the hunt for the playoffs again. (Them likely losing Gaines will hurt a lot; he seemed to be a key to making the D click. But he's the only guy they're going to lose that will truly hurt besides Wood.)

If the rookie catches lightning, they could be legitimately good. If he doesn't in year 1 and the backup is serviceable, the playoffs aren't out of reach w/ a break or 2. If we are back to the level of QB play that we got from everyone post-Bledsoe & pre-Taylor (minus Fitzpatrick), they'll be able to draft their next kick at the QB can in '19. Really not looking forward to that sort of a dropoff.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.