OT: The Geography of NY

LGR4GM

I consider Rochester and Syracuse more alike.

Also it's kinda fun nitpicking this area. It really is 6 to 1, half a dozen.

See, I don't think Rochester and Syracuse are that similar at all. But I do agree you'll see Syracuse things around Rochester like Spiedies. But even then, you're pushing more South and East of Rochester into places like Lima before you start seeing that stuff. In the transition zone.

I consider Rochester and Syracuse more alike. Also it's kinda fun nitpicking this area. It really is 6 to 1, half a dozen.

Is that just a notion, or from personal experience spending time in all three? Cuz I find hanging in Rochester feels way more like Buffalo than hanging in Syracuse.

Is that just a notion, or from personal experience spending time in all three? Cuz I find hanging in Rochester feels way more like Buffalo than hanging in Syracuse.

Personal. I feel that Syracuse and Rochester felt similar. Of course Syracuse I haven't spent a lot of time in in years so maybe it's a faulty memory.

Someone just suggested that Geneva is the line. Geneva is in the finger lakes. Definitely not wny

I suggested that there's a transition zone, with Geneva (rt-14) being the easternmost limit, if the objective is to identify what is WNY and what is CNY. 390 to 14 is like Townline is to Alden/Lancaster

I suggested that there's a transition zone, with Geneva (rt-14) being the easternmost limit, if the objective is to identify what is WNY and what is CNY. 390 to 14 is like Townline is to Alden/Lancaster

I would bet that someone fron Penn Yan or Canadaigua says they are from the Finger Lakes more often than they say they are from WNY.

So I came from no-man’s-land to Syracuse 26 yrs ago. Never fell into the vibe there. I found myself in Canandaigua four years later, onto Conesus Lake for four years, several years in Lima, several more in Avon and five in my new love, Bloomfield. I’m a WNYer, I belong to a Rochester LU...I’m a québécois redneck shifted into a WNYer. It’s been quite the journey.

No offense to Syracuse, but that place sucks. IMO Geneva is the point where it shifts.

I don't think Rochester is western ny.

You are wrong.

I would bet that someone fron Penn Yan or Canadaigua says they are from the Finger Lakes more often than they say they are from WNY.

Penn Yan AIN'T WNY. That's Menonite country.

And, Canandaiguans probabably consider themselves Finger Lakers (they live on one for gosh sakes) but nobody cares because they're wanna be Skaneatelesers which is definitely Finger Lakes.

Might I suggest WNY is a vibe of sorts and is not tied to geography necessarily? Sort of like how Brooklyn is not Long Island.

Is Jamestown WNY?

Lost out on an ECAC title in HS to them (even though they're nearly an hour from Erie County) so DEFINITELY NOT. (But if Lucy wants to claim WNY status, we'll throw her a bone.)

Would actually argue it's closer to Rte 89, but Rte 14 is close to the transition and is a reasonable delineation point. Edited by Taro T

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.