So who's the locker room problem on this team?

Ho-Chi-Sock

The locker room problem is literally the locker room. You have a $10 million locker room filled with 50 cent players. I wish I had just one chance to kick Terry and Kimmy in the a** with a big, wet boot. Just one. In fact I wish each Buffalo Sabres fan had a shot at it. Maybe we could then get some measure of satisfaction after all the mess and misery they have created.

This post is really sort of disturbing.  I mean, I guess you're being angrily facetious but it comes across very creepy. Like, "court order to stay 500 yards away from the Pegula's at all times" creepy. 

I think Sam was definitely one of those guys. His game has markedly improved.

Sam is the most likely candidate for the entitlement stamp and the I’m smarter than the coach stamp.

You see it in the interviews: “I’m not doing anything different.” Of course you are Sam.

Does his improved play mean he’s listening to the coach?

How about Risto? There’s another’s who fits the mould given his pedigree of pampered national team prodigy.

And of course Eichel. With Kane being the ringleader for a group of young athletes that has been pampered and told they are special for years, coming to downtrodden organization where they were embraced as saviours and have never been forced to earn it.

The Pegulas coddle their athletes in general, Murray fed that with our high picks and Bylsma and Housley aren’t exactly the types to throw the fear of god into anyone.

Edited by dudacek

Sam is the most likely candidate for the entitlement stamp and the I’m smarter than the coach stamp.

You see it in the interviews: “I’m not doing anything different.” Of course you are Sam.

How about Risto? There’s another’s who fits the mould given his pedigree of pampered national team prodigy.

And of course Eichel. With Kane being the ringleader for a group of young athletes that has been pampered and told they are special for years, coming to downtrodden organization where they were embraced as saviours and have never been forced to earn it.

The Pegulas coddle their athletes in general, Murray fed that with our high picks and Bylsma and Housley aren’t exactly the types to throw the fear of god into anyone.

I still think that the greatest error (besides losing on purpose for 3 years, of course), was not having a bunch of vets that would force respect in the locker room when the #tankprizes showed up.  TM attempted that to some extent, but he mostly chose vets from losing organizations that weren't exactly 1st tier guys to begin with.

The problem wasn't trading assets for vets, the problem was selecting vets that didn't command respect.  Brian Gionta was the only winner in the group that was here.  There needed to be more.

And I think this will continue to be a struggle for these guys in seasons to come.  The stink of being coddled early is difficult to wash off.

I wouldn't be surprised if they can't crest the hump at all without an influx of veteran leaders. 

Vogl’s quotes from and about Housley and the players not listening are beyond disturbing.

I don't know why it wasn't more expected.  We gave a couple of 18-19 year old kids the key to the franchise.

Didn't giving Risto 5.4 mil for 6 years broadcast a message that he's special ? 

This is extremely plausible as he LITERALLY overnight went from getting knocked down nearly every time he was checked to staying on his feet & scoring @ nearly a PPG pace. (Pretty sure the scoring started about 2 games earlier than him no longer being the protagonist in the Sabres version of the "down goes Hartnell" game. But they both started about the same time & it was like a lightbulb got switched on for both issues.)

Burn it all down.

Except when I look on the ice (recently) it’s not the core guys I see sucking.

Pouliot messed up on the Ekblad goal. Barkov schooled Falk. Josefson didn’t have his man on the fourth goal.

Reinhart was our most dangerous forward.

It’s become pretty clear to me that Kane was moved because of his influence on the kids.

With him removed from the equation, Botterill has his fingers crossed Sam and Jack might gravitate more to Housley.

Bringing in a Drury to replace Kane in the room and the ice might help even more.

Edited by dudacek

Bringing in a Drury to replace Kane in the room and the ice might help even more.

I think it is an absolute necessity.  I'd say we need more than one.  Vet.  Winner.  Leader.  Find those players and plug them into the 2018-19 roster thread.

I also wouldn't give Jack the C until the demons are fully exorcised, which to mean means when this team is established as good and consistent again.

Edited by We've

I think it is an absolute necessity. I'd say we need more than one. Vet. Winner. Leader. Find those players and plug them into the 2018-19 roster thread.

I also wouldn't give Jack the C until the demons are fully exorcised, which to mean means when this team is established as good and consistent again.

The problem is getting that kind of player to come here. I think we lucked into Drury, he went under the radar because of how good those Colorado teams were that he was on. Who knew he was Captain Intangibles?

If these players exist what team is going to give them up?

And if they're on a good team, how do you convince them to leave to come to dysfunctional Buffalo?

This is why we ended up with guys like Moulson and Gionta. The best GMTM could muster was a bunch of unwanted cast offs. What younger player is going to follow a bunch of washed up hacks?

I think we have to hope that those kinds of players are on this team or are coming in the pipeline. I think we have to hope that Jack or Sam become those leaders organically.

If this is really happening the way described and the player isn't Jack, move him out if you can get equal value. If it is Jack, do everything you can to find a Drury to kick his ass. Not literally, but leader-y. 

I don't think it's Jack, not just because I don't want to (which is absolutely an element of it) but because he really responded to his private skate with Housley with his best and most committed and consistent hockey stretch of his entire career. I think he gets it now. Now it's about bolstering the leadership group with guys that ROR was supposed to be, and making sure they own the room. 

The problem is getting that kind of player to come here. I think we lucked into Drury, he went under the radar because of how good those Colorado teams were that he was on. Who knew he was Captain Intangibles?

And if they're on a good team, how do you convince them to leave to come to dysfunctional Buffalo?

This is why we ended up with guys like Moulson and Gionta. The best GMTM could muster was a bunch of unwanted cast offs. What younger player is going to follow a bunch of washed up hacks?

I think we have to hope that those kinds of players are on this team or are coming in the pipeline. I think we have to hope that Jack or Sam become those leaders organically.

I don't get paid to find and attract these players.  Botteril does though.  I don't care if it is hard to do.  I expect the GM of the team I root for to figure it out.  Kids aren't going to figure it out for themselves.

Totally agree.  It's much easier said than done.

But that's why JBott is getting paid who knows how much (but certainly in the 7 figures) for a job that millions of people would love to have.  He needs to find a couple of guys with credibility, skill and leadership. 

I'm just imagining Ryan Kesler and Shea Weber beating the crap out of Risto and Reino in the parking lot after they blow off Howie's instructions during a home loss...

If this is really happening the way described and the player isn't Jack, move him out if you can get equal value. If it is Jack, do everything you can to find a Drury to kick his ass. Not literally, but leader-y. 

I don't think it's Jack, not just because I don't want to (which is absolutely an element of it) but because he really responded to his private skate with Housley with his best and most committed and consistent hockey stretch of his entire career. I think he gets it now. Now it's about bolstering the leadership group with guys that ROR was supposed to be, and making sure they own the room. 

No doubt in my mind that jack was a big part of it.  My suspicion is that he still is to some extent.

Totally agree. It's much easier said than done.

But that's why JBott is getting paid who knows how much (but certainly in the 7 figures) for a job that millions of people would love to have. He needs to find a couple of guys with credibility, skill and leadership.

I'm just imagining Ryan Kesler and Shea Weber beating the crap out of Risto and Reino in the parking lot after they blow off Howie's instructions during a home loss...

This idea of someone coming in from outside the org and swinging their dick around is laughable to me.

Maybe you get good results by bringing someone in that the players like.

Maybe.

But I think these lessons are ones the players have to learn on their own.

This idea of someone coming in from outside the org and swinging their dick around is laughable to me.

Maybe.

I mean no disrespect here, but did you ever have a mentor at school, or on the job?

That is what these kids on the Sabres need, IMO.

I agree with We've that the Sabres need and have needed for a long time good experienced (at winning) vets.  Gionta was good, but he was not enough.  I still say it was a big mistake not bringing him back this season and maybe even next season.  I would have signed him last July for 2 years.

Sabres need to trade for Johnny Taves. 

He's a top 100 player of all time over Evgeni Malkin, and is in the elite company of Orr, Gretzky, Crosby etc. Didn't you see that NBCSN special?

Plus it would make Hawks fans super happy to get his contract albatross off the team. They literally hate him right now.

Sabres need to trade for Johnny Taves. 

He's a top 100 player of all time over Evgeni Malkin, and is in the elite company of Orr, Gretzky, Crosby etc. Didn't you see that NBCSN special?

Plus it would make Hawks fans super happy to get his contract albatross off the team. They literally hate him right now.

Sarcasm?

:unsure:

Maybe.

Did you not see that with Drury?

To a degree, they lucked into Drury. The guy they really lucked into was Briere (the OTHER guy wearing a 'C' on those really good teams) because the Yotes had no f###ing idea what they had.

They NEED the leadership to be developed from w/in. They won't be able to trade for an outsider to step into the leadership role.

Eichel has looked much better since Christmas time. O'Reilly has looked good, for the most part, since slightly after that. And Reinhart has looked good for about a month. Okposo is finally healthy again. Scandella now has essentially a full season w/ this team. These guys & Ristolainen need to be the leaders.

IMHO, the fact that nobody on D (Bogosian wearing a letter for his 20 games doesn't count) wears a letter is a problem. (Not because they don't wear one, but because noone apparently has earned one.) If neither Scandella nor Ristolainen earn one next year we'll be in for another long season.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.