Beaulieu: So Much for Being Any Good

WildCard

I don't really care that much about baconators (meh), poutine (overrated), or mayonnaise (unless I'm making tuna sandwiches, just no), but I would like to see Beaulieu back here next season.

Good Beaulieu is good. Haven't seen nearly enough of good Beaulieu. Bad Beaulieu makes my hair hurt, a la last night. Still, I'll agree that he can have another run at it. Hopefully a reinforced D corps puts him in better situations.

Good Beaulieu is good. Haven't seen nearly enough of good Beaulieu. Bad Beaulieu makes my hair hurt, a la last night. Still, I'll agree that he can have another run at it. Hopefully a reinforced D corps puts him in better situations.

I'd be lying if I said his character "issue" mentioned uptrend bothered me.

I love Buffalo Sports teams - including the Sabres.  BUT - do you know how humorous you ALL sound talking about this gang of low talent, low achievers stealing money from true hockey fans.  It's an embarrassment. 

You basically enable these men that can skate and shoot a puck to feel they are a big deal.  They aren't. 

I love Buffalo Sports teams - including the Sabres.  BUT - do you know how humorous you ALL sound talking about this gang of low talent, low achievers stealing money from true hockey fans.  It's an embarrassment. 

You basically enable these men that can skate and shoot a puck to feel they are a big deal.  They aren't.

Wut?

Welcome to the board, but this is a zero-value-added post.

Please try to participate in the conversation without throwing insults around.

"I love buffalo sports" then saying something against sports in general seems like saying "I'm not racist, but ..." and, well, anything after that. 

I think that BoLu will be fine as a 3rd pair D-man that doesn't sniff the powerplay or penalty kill. He does show some flashes of offensive vision, a few times (more and more recently) he's made a pass to E.Rod or Bailey that fed into their quickness and sprung them into the offensive zone with speed and numbers. 

I would like to see more goals out of our D-men as a whole but I don't think Beualiuoo is where we should be looking. The top-4 needs to improve in that area. Maybe Guhle can teach them a thing or two about joining the rush. 

Edited by Samson's Slickback

To me; much like what other's have said it's a tale of periods, shifts, and games.  At times he's what we had hoped for a 25 year old who can skate the puck into the zone, transition with speed and shoot with a great point bomb.  However, he's not that good to terrible in the D Zone, his decision making can be questionable.  He's not making a ton (under 3M) so I'm not crushed if we cannot move him.  However, he is what he is a risk that didn't pan out.  Those are the types that need to be made.  For every risk that pans out, there are two to three that fail. 

Edited by TheCerebral1

He’s an offensive defenseman with just nine points. He makes more mistakes than any other dman.

He’s got good skills, but they are negated by the fact he has the worst hockey sense on the team.

As far as I am concerned Guhle and Nelson make him redundant and I have yet to figure why he gets ice over Antipin. McCabe and Bogo are better and I’d rather dress Falk.

$2.4 is a helluvalot to be paying our #9 defenceman.

Don’t fault Botterill for making the trade, but it’s been a whiff so far.

Edited by dudacek

My take is that there was likely hours upon hours of video and scouting reports and info from colleagues available that JBot could have and in all likelihood did go to for the word on this guy. It was out there. Hell we knew it from what amateurs were saying on the Habs board. And for some reason he disregarded the professional info he was given and signed this guy. You've got to swing for the fences sometimes but do it based on sound advise. Methinks at that point he must have been desperate to make a move.

In Botterill’s defence, the kid obviously has NHL skill.

He was a 30-point guy in each of his two AHL seasons and scored 28 last year for a bad Montreal team.

We desperately needed to add mobility to a sluggish defence and he is an excellent skater.

The gamble was worth a 3rd rounder.

But he has been terrible.

Edited by dudacek

In Botterill’s defence, the kid obviously has NHL skill.

He was a 30-point guy in each of his two AHL seasons and scored 28 last year for a bad Montreal team.

We desperately needed to add mobility to a sluggish defence and he is an excellent skater.

The gamble was worth a 3rd rounder.

But he has been terrible.

Yeah maybe the scouting on him wasn't all that bad but damn does he make some boneheaded moves. 

He’s an offensive defenseman with just nine points. He makes more mistakes than any other dman.

He’s got good skills, but they are negated by the fact he has the worst hockey sense on the team.

As far as I am concerned Guhle and Nelson make him redundant and I have yet to figure why he gets ice over Antipin. McCabe and Bogo are better and I’d rather dress Falk.

$2.4 is a helluvalot to be paying our #9 defenceman.

Don’t fault Botterill for making the trade, but it’s been a whiff so far.

Yup.

DIsagree.    Beaulieu and Antipin are who most of us thought they were.   

Scandella was supposed to provide some offensive punch, he's done nothing, and his play in the d-zone leaves a lot to be desired as well IMO.    I like his effort level, I just don't think he's anywhere near being a top pairing guy.    Risto and Scandella would make a nice 2nd pairing.    Everybody else is at best candidates for a 3rd pairing.    

McCabe has largely been a disappointment IMO, his d-zone play away from the puck is atrocious.   

I can't disagree with any of this. The worst part is the learning curve seems to have flatlined on all of them. Wasn't Housley supposed to be the great D teacher that would transform ordinary D men into stars? Still waiting. 

I can't disagree with any of this. The worst part is the learning curve seems to have flatlined on all of them. Wasn't Housley supposed to be the great D teacher that would transform ordinary D men into stars? Still waiting.

You mean the same great D teacher that had 4 Norris trophy candidates on his squad last year that everyone, except a few smart posters, were gaga over despite his riches in talent.

He has moment when you are like wow he can skate. Then he pulls an Afineganov and loses the puck or makes a stupid pass..,

This puzzles me. I don't know any of our d-men that are not like that. They all cough up the puck and make really stupid plays. Heck, most NHL d-men do. I get he is not scoring as he should be, but his defense is no where as horrible as a lot posters say it is.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.