DEADLINE DAY -- Sabres trade speculation

matter2003

I certainly hope so.  Three things that absolutely frustrate me to no end when I watch this team is how slowly they seem to process the game (i.e. no quick puck movement/passing, no consistent sense of anticipation), how they have zero gap control, and how they always try to play the puck instead of the man in front of the net. 

Couldn't agree more, power play and D-zone exits are great examples of where skating speed isn't the issue, but ability to quickly process the game, make a decision and execute a pass or a shot

They are the worst passing team I can recall

Edited by Georgia Blizzard

J Bot understands speed is more than how fast you can skate, speed is how fast you can play, there's a big difference.

Yup.  I don't think the problem is lack of team speed.  The problem is lack of players that want to play at a fast tempo.

Good point. Then again there's Malkin and Crosby, Toews and Kane

I think the whole, two guys driving play, thing is way overblown. Centers generally make good wings.  Multiple dynamic players on a line are only a hindrance if they won't work with each other.

On paper, Nylander is the perfect fit with Jack, along with a big body crease crasher.

I’ve been waiting to see Nylander, Fasching Eichel since Alex was drafted.

It was the only thing that let me like the pick.

Can’t see why Reinhart and Casey can’t be a thing like Reinhart and Domi were a thing.

Edited by Mick O’Manly

I think the whole, two guys driving play, thing is way overblown. Centers generally make good wings.  Multiple dynamic players on a line are only a hindrance if they won't work with each other.

Correct.  Martin wouldn't have scored 50 without Perreault.  And add Robert into the mix.  A good solid first line isn't an obsolete idea.

Mittelstadt could definitely play with Eichel. He and Eichel have a similar head for the game. Kane does not.

No.  No more two centers together, please.

Correct.  Martin wouldn't have scored 50 without Perreault.  And add Robert into the mix.  A good solid first line isn't an obsolete idea.

No.  No more two centers together, please.

But high talent guys that play centre in juniors/pre-NHL play wing in the big leagues all the time.

I’d prefer Casey at C as it’s the most valuable position, but there’s no reason he couldn’t hack wing with Eichel.

Richard Rakell is a mainstay, effective wing for the Ducks who played C as a prospect. Just one example.

But high talent guys that play centre in juniors/pre-NHL play wing in the big leagues all the time.

I’d prefer Casey at C as it’s the most valuable position, but there’s no reason he couldn’t hack wing with Eichel.

Yes they do and no, that's not right for Mittlestadt.  He's a creator.  Put him at center.

Sabres should have kept Reinhart there as well.  

Edited by Eleven

Yes they do and no, that's not right for Mittlestadt.  He's a creator.  Put him at center.

I see what you’re saying. Can’t say it’s not a logical stance to take.

Reinhart is a good example of someone who’s stand-out skills (distribution) are best suited to centre. If the Sabres don’t see him as a centre, or he can’t excel in that position at the NHL level, his upside as a Sabre may be quite limited on the wing. Centres do transition to the wing often, but perhaps he doesn’t have the board play for it.

Patrick Sharp is mentioned often here as a Reinhart comparable, but maybe that’s just not him.

I see Mittelstadt in a different light, but you are correct that centre would be ideal for a player of his strengths.

I think the whole, two guys driving play, thing is way overblown. Centers generally make good wings. Multiple dynamic players on a line are only a hindrance if they won't work with each other.

They're also a hindrance if they make you a one-line team. If O'Reilly is moved and Mittelstadt is playing on Eichel's wing, who in the world is centering our second best line?

They're also a hindrance if they make you a one-line team. If O'Reilly is moved and Mittelstadt is playing on Eichel's wing, who in the world is centering our second best line?

Ya, we’re gonna need one of Mittelstadt or O’Reilly at 2C.

i can randomly put conditions on this too.  But my point wasn't meant to be anything other than dynamic players that drive play don't need to be separated simply because they both like to set up play.

i can't find the post, but there was an analysis post WJC of the prospects that really shown well, and when they discussed Casey, one of the items specifically mentioned was that it looked like he'd have an ability to really shine at wing in the NHL too.  Point was, he didn't need to center his own line in their opinion.

ROR better be bringing me more than faceoffs. 

For the record I would have to be blown away by a ROR trade. Like Bellows, 1st this year, 2nd next year, and Mitchel Vonde Sompel. Maybe instead of Sompel, go with Ho-Sang but that might be way over priced. 

You mean this Ho-Sang?  https://www.bardown.com/the-islanders-ahl-coach-called-out-josh-ho-sang-for-being-a-baby-and-immature-1.967090

Yea... no thanks.  At this point I think if someone offered the Islanders a yellow raincoat they'd trade Ho-Sang for it.

i can randomly put conditions on this too.  But my point wasn't meant to be anything other than dynamic players that drive play don't need to be separated simply because they both like to set up play.

Fair 'nuff. I took you to be talking more about the Sabres' situation in particular.

Ya, we’re gonna need one of Mittelstadt or O’Reilly at 2C.

If your O'Reilly talk is true then you may get your wish with Sam at C

Well, it'd certainly be one way to get another look at him there. A bad way, in my view, but a way nonetheless.