What is the Sabres Greatest Hope of a Bright Future?

WildCard

More fear and loathing of the wealthy nonsense.

How ‘bout this: TP, out of a desire to be a good guy and not blow into town and fire everyone, mistakenly kept on DR well past DR’s expiration date. He then recognized that DR/RR was a debacle and tried to hire the right guys to lead a turnaround.

He gave them 2 years, recognized that the train was going off the rails in multiple ways, sent them packing and again tried to hire the right guys.

All the while, the checkbook has been open, there have been no inflammatory challenges from him to his underperforming team in the media, he’s funded a ton of urban renewal in a blighted city, he hasn’t demanded that the city build him an arena and he’s generally conducted himself like a gentleman.

He agreed to the tank, he retained a lousy GM and hired another lousy GM (and hopefully not a 2nd one), which all turned out to be poor decisions but all of which were reasonable when made and most if not all of which were made with the assistance of knowledgeable professionals — and none of which were made based on greed or dishonesty or any of the other malicious intents that certain trolls for some reason feel the need to attribute to him.

Spot on (except the trolls comment). Terry has made a ton of mistakes, but they were honest ones.

Deep analysis is great, but a bit of luck for a change would also help (like a Tom Brady draft moment).  Applies to the Bills as well, in this sports cursed city.

Spot on as well. Time to stumble into another Hasek for Beauregard trade.

And I think after all the tanking and stuff, Housley simply can't say in public that this is another season where winning isn't in the cards.  But I think for this season, winning means absolutely nothing.  This is an 82-game pro development camp.  If the team comes around and he feels like he can go on a valiant run to 9th place, he'll try, but that's not this year's internal goal at all. 

This year the goals for the Sabres are: 

1. Instill a system.

2. Correct developmental deficiencies in the younger players so that they better fit the system. 

3. Teach the team how to manage a game- especially the energy level and how hard they skate throughout.

4. Wait for the fruits of Rochester to be ready for the NHL.

There is no winning planned for this season.  Any Ws in the standing are simply a reflecting that the goals above are being met.  At some point Housley may look back and admit that this was the case, but he won't do that now.

As unfortunate and hard to accept that reality may be I agree with everything you say except the bold quote above. It sounds like winning is not a goal. If not a goal it is a desired outcome of numbers 1 through 4 as we agree playing not to win is the wrong way to learn to play the game. Just reference the "is the tank worth it" thread for those points.. 

I agree with whomever i saw post there is a recipe and balance that should field a competitive team while still working towards those goals and that should be part of the plan and may still be but injuries may be keeping that from our view for now due to the lack of quality depth and experience in the new system. 

At least I hope that's what is going on, Hope is a wonderful thing if you can hang onto to it..       

Hope of a bright future:

The Hockey Gods correct their previous mistakes and award us Rasmus Dahlin

Bogosian brushes off the mummy bunker dust and bandages and becomes the Dman we hoped for

Risto gets healthy and continues to improve

Guhle becomes gouhlish to the opposition and becomes the Dman we hope him to be

Nylander and Mittelstadt become the guys we want them to  be

Somebody else shows he deserves to be in the NHL from the rest of our prospects.

Lehner or somebody becomes a #1 keeper.

Moulson decides to retire after this year

Jack and Samson become the players they were drafted to be. 

Okposo and ROR get rocket fuel injections up their rectums and become speedier players

#Narrative

#clever #trolling #agenda #fear #loathing

I mean, tbf this is pretty accurate like 90% of the time

The other end of it is adulation and worship of the wealthy, which is why we have an oligarchy/plutocracy in this country and not a democracy. Terry is STILL thought of as a good, smart owner by the vast majority of fans, without any basis, and that's Because Billionaire.

Only this was in the 10%.

This was about a meddling owner, not a rich one.

And ftr, we all were psyched that he came in spending like a drunken sailor.

Yep, I like the fact he is rich and willing to spend. It's about hiring the right people to spend wisely and at the right time.

+1

Some people here seem to think that "getting it right" with respect to running a sports franchise is easy or formulaic. Every decision Terry has made along the way has been roll of the dice, but what other sports franchises aren't also doing that when they hire GMs or coaches? 

I'm just happy the guy wants to spend money. Hiring coaches and GMs is a complete crapshoot. 

There are no "sports franchise whisperers". If there were, we wouldn't have teams with championship droughts like Toronto. 

All I want from my owner is an open wallet and a willingness to shuffle the deck if and when it feels appropriate. That's about all you can do. 

You have to maximize your chances of getting it right. So far, to run his franchise, Terry has gone with 1. A holdover, burned-out, Mugabe in Darcy with a strong helping of the good old boys Pittsburgh/PSU network overseeing things, all of whom are now gone 2. A legendary former player whom he met at dinner; Pat wisely advised he wasn't qualified to be GM but stupidly accepted the title of president, then realized he had no power 3. A first-timer GM from Ottawa 4. A first-timer, and former Sabres, GM from Pittsburgh. There's progress there, but the odds are still stacked against it working this time. I've asked before. Why does Terry tend to hire inexperienced people?

More fear and loathing of the wealthy nonsense.

How ‘bout this: TP, out of a desire to be a good guy and not blow into town and fire everyone, mistakenly kept on DR well past DR’s expiration date. He then recognized that DR/RR was a debacle and tried to hire the right guys to lead a turnaround.

He gave them 2 years, recognized that the train was going off the rails in multiple ways, sent them packing and again tried to hire the right guys.

All the while, the checkbook has been open, there have been no inflammatory challenges from him to his underperforming team in the media, he’s funded a ton of urban renewal in a blighted city, he hasn’t demanded that the city build him an arena and he’s generally conducted himself like a gentleman.

He agreed to the tank, he retained a lousy GM and hired another lousy GM (and hopefully not a 2nd one), which all turned out to be poor decisions but all of which were reasonable when made and most if not all of which were made with the assistance of knowledgeable professionals — and none of which were made based on greed or dishonesty or any of the other malicious intents that certain trolls for some reason feel the need to attribute to him.

What knowledgeable professionals helped with the Botterill hiring? Russ? Kim? Someone from the league office?

#clever #trolling #agenda #fear #loathing

Terry is STILL thought of as a good, smart owner by the vast majority of fans, without any basis, and that's Because Billionaire.

What knowledgeable professionals helped with the Botterill hiring? Russ? Kim? Someone from the league office?

No.

Not “because billionaire.”

People think he’s a good owner for the reasons I mentioned, and because they know too well what bad ownership looks like.

As for JBott — TP interviewed 7 candidates, each of whom was a well-regarded and respectable hockey guy. How do you think he formulated his list? Do you think he was too busy rolling around in a bed of money to consult with NHL people about this? Or do you just assume, because of #narrative #fearandloathing, that he...what, exactly?

No.

People think he’s a good owner for the reasons I mentioned, and because they know too well what bad ownership looks like.

As for JBott — TP interviewed 7 candidates, each of whom was a well-regarded and respectable hockey guy. How do you think he formulated his list? Do you think he was too busy rolling around in a bed of money to consult with NHL people about this? Or do you just assume, because of #narrative #fearandloathing, that he...what, exactly?

If I was TP I'd roll around in a bed of money  :P

No PA is just your narrative. It isn't trolling, it's what you believe and what you force into every thread. Take a look PA, 9 of 10 threads you post in discuss the owner and your belief. Why? Because narrative. Best part, I don't have read any of it.

Ps post merging is awesome and I love it

What is the Sabres greatest hope, that's the thread, yet here we are talking about PAs narrative of Pegulas right and ability to own the team.

No PA is just your narrative. It isn't trolling, it's what you believe and what you force into every thread. Take a look PA, 9 of 10 threads you post in discuss the owner and your belief. Why? Because narrative. Best part, I don't have read any of it.

What is the Sabres greatest hope, that's the thread, yet here we are talking about PAs narrative of Pegulas right and ability to own the team.

Someone else actually brought up ownership first. 

Pa responded.

And the nfreeman, defender of the rich, swooped in.

Someone else actually brought up ownership first. 

Pa responded.

And the nfreeman, defender of the rich, swooped in.

#Ligernarrative

Holy cow.  This is easier than I thought.

This whole narrative thing that runs rampant on this board is stupid.  None of us have the influence to have a narrative.  It's just opinions people.

Edited by We've

#Ligernarrative

Holy cow.  This is easier than I thought.

This whole narrative thing that runs rampant on this board is ###### stupid.  None of us have the influence to have a narrative.  It's just ###### opinions people.

And when you agree, it's not narrative, it's :thumbsup: .

He has a right to own the team. He is able to own it. He just sucks at it.

No.

I think Russ helped, which should scare the bejesus out of you and everyone else. And IIRC the league offered its assistance, presumably because they were also bejesus-scared he was going to run into Gil Perreault at Golden Corral.

And when you agree, it's not narrative, it's :thumbsup: .

He has a right to own the team. He is able to own it. He just sucks at it.

I think Russ helped, which should scare the bejesus out of you and everyone else. And IIRC the league offered its assistance, presumably because they were also bejesus-scared he was going to run into Gil Perreault at Golden Corral.

The likelihood that Russ played a significant role is regrettably greater than zero, and you are right that that does indeed scare the poop outta me.

But I think it's much more likely that the NHL played a real role in TP formulating his list, and that RB did not.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.