Losing Culture

inkman

Haha same.

Ya. If you are staying out so long that it prohibits you from getting back on D, don't stay out so long. I don't care if it's on the PP. "I had a long shift" is a terrible excuse.

It boils down to this.  Either you understand what happened on that goal and what led up to it or you don't.  I think you can go looking for anything and potentially tie it in to fit some narrative that Jack is lazy.  In this case you now what to call him out for a long shift when most of the PP unit was on the ice for 2 minutes and it was probably a coaching decision as to how long they were out there.

You can ignore everything that has been laid out and just call him lazy.  There is no conversation to be had at that point.  If you want to believe he was lazy on that play despite any discussion that states the opposite it's your choice.

I used to coach a kid who skated really hard all the time.  ALL THE TIME.  This was great at the younger levels because most kids didn't understand positioning.  As kids began to pass more this kid looked like a chump on the ice because he'd basically be the man in the middle and never be near the play.  Sure he was hauling butt around the ice but he was never in the right position.

There are times when skating at 100% top speed is not required and in fact a really stupid idea.  In this case I'm seeing people now saying he was gliding back, yes he was.  It was not an incorrect thing to do at that point.  If he skated hard he'd be out of position.  He's where he needs to be and he's waiting for a opponent to come into his coverage zone.

Now get out the damn horse.gif.

I must be incapable of understanding such deep concepts. I forgot, your hockey knowledge is complete and mine is non-existent. I'll defer to you on this I suppose.

It boils down to this.  Either you understand what happened on that goal and what led up to it or you don't.  I think you can go looking for anything and potentially tie it in to fit some narrative that Jack is lazy.  In this case you now what to call him out for a long shift when most of the PP unit was on the ice for 2 minutes and it was probably a coaching decision as to how long they were out there.

You can ignore everything that has been laid out and just call him lazy.  There is no conversation to be had at that point.  If you want to believe he was lazy on that play despite any discussion that states the opposite it's your choice.

I used to coach a kid who skated really hard all the time.  ALL THE TIME.  This was great at the younger levels because most kids didn't understand positioning.  As kids began to pass more this kid looked like a chump on the ice because he'd basically be the man in the middle and never be near the play.  Sure he was hauling butt around the ice but he was never in the right position.

There are times when skating at 100% top speed is not required and in fact a really stupid idea.  In this case I'm seeing people now saying he was gliding back, yes he was.  It was not an incorrect thing to do at that point.  If he skated hard he'd be out of position.  He's where he needs to be and he's waiting for a opponent to come into his coverage zone.

Now get out the damn horse.gif.

It's not a narrative though. The national media has been blasting him for it. Local media has been all over it. Numerous and various types of posters with much different views have all said the same thing about him, for 3 years now. He has done that exact play a million times regardless of any other factor. The only common denominator is what everyone everywhere has been saying: he's a floater

I must be incapable of understanding such deep concepts. I forgot, your hockey knowledge is complete and mine is non-existent. I'll defer to you on this I suppose.

You're wonderfully passive aggressive.  I've stepped back from my statement in the GDT.  I've never said my hockey knowledge is complete, it is not.  You should not infer that it is.  

It's not a narrative though. The national media has been blasting him for it. Local media has been all over it. Numerous and various types of posters with much different views have all said the same thing about him, for 3 years now. He has done that exact play a million times regardless of any other factor. The only common denominator is what everyone everywhere has been saying: he's a floater

It's forcing a narrative when it doesn't apply to this play.  Pure and simple.  He's in the right position despite having been on the ice for over 2 minutes.  He's conserving energy because the puck will be in his zone assuming Williams does not score.  He's doing EVERYTHING right.  Regardless of anything else he's done, his play, in this instance, is absolutely correct.

Does he float?  Yes.  Is he lazy?  Yes.  

Was he lazy here? No.

If you insist on labeling him as a lazy floater on this play then you really are pushing the narrative.

You're wonderfully passive aggressive. I've stepped back from my statement in the GDT. I've never said my hockey knowledge is complete, it is not. You should not infer that it is.

It's forcing a narrative when it doesn't apply to this play. Pure and simple. He's in the right position despite having been on the ice for over 2 minutes. He's conserving energy because the puck will be in his zone assuming Williams does not score. He's doing EVERYTHING right. Regardless of anything else he's done, his play, in this instance, is absolutely correct.

Does he float? Yes. Is he lazy? Yes.

Was he lazy here? No.

If you insist on labeling him as a lazy floater on this play then you really are pushing the narrative.

Says the guy with the personal insults :lol:

The wording in a lot of your posts is borderline offensive.

---

With a straight face you knock others for having an interpretation of the play, and say things like the bolded above. You somehow know what Eichel was thinking on the play?

Good grief.

You are the one with the narrative, if anyone has one, because while others are reacting to what they saw, you are forming your opinion based on what you think Eichel was thinking.

---

I'm good with ceasing the bickering at this point. I'm sure you are stand-up dude (seriously), but we're butting heads here. No need.

Edited by Thorny

@BrianWGR Jordan Nolan says when he was with the Kings that players would hold guys accountable... taking bad shots, long shifts, players would hear it. Gave impression that it's not happening here. Says it better start or it will be a long season and long seasons to come. #Sabres

https://twitter.com/BrianWGR/status/933529898702069760

@BrianWGR Jordan Nolan says when he was with the Kings that players would hold guys accountable... taking bad shots, long shifts, players would hear it. Gave impression that it's not happening here. Says it better start or it will be a long season and long seasons to come. #Sabres

There are guys on this team, like Nolan, Scandella and Pommers, who played for winning teams and know what it takes to play at that level. They need to pull Jack, Sam, and ROR aside and say time to grow up and play big boy hockey.

Management needs to strip the A’s off all the guys who have them now and give them out game by game to those who are actually showing effective leadership. If no one does, then no one gets one.

Guys who don’t put forth the right effort need to be sent to the pressbox. The bad eggs need to be traded or waived even if it is for a bag of used pucks. Until there are consequences for bad effort, there won’t be positive change.

There are guys on this team, like Nolan, Scandella and Pommers, who played for winning teams and know what it takes to play at that level. They need to pull Jack, Sam, and ROR aside and say time to grow up and play big boy hockey.

Management needs to strip the A’s off all the guys who have them now and give them out game by game to those who are actually showing effective leadership. If no one does, then no one gets one.

Guys who don’t put forth the right effort need to be sent to the pressbox. The bad eggs need to be traded or waived even if it is for a bag of used pucks. Until there are consequences for bad effort, there won’t be positive change.

I actually agree with pretty much all of this.

It's becoming blindingly apparent that Jack and Sam, while talented, are in desperate need and crying out for an alpha veteran precence to sort of grab them by their scruffs here and give them a nudge in the right direction. Nothing embarrassing, just a firm influence. I'm thinking of Erik Karlsson reeming his bench out before a comeback against Pittsburgh in the East Final last season. What a respected voice can do.

If someone could do this, I would name that man captain. Jack keeps the "A". Like a Patrick Kane in Chicago. Still the top offensive player, making (along with Toews) the most $.

I'm not sure Nolan has the credibility talent wise to do this. Pominville might, but does he have it within him? Scandella?

Listen to Paul Hamilton's post game report (wild vs. buffalo 11/22/17)

Post-game meltdown in the locker room.  Pommer fuming; Nolan calling out the culture of the team (no accountability), Housley at wit's end with the group, and all that sort of good stuff.

Blow it up!  Rebuild the rebuild.  This group is done.  

:w00t:

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/11-22-paul-hamiltons-thoughts-wild-sabresmp3

Edited by Kruppstahl

Jordan helicoptering his Wanker pretty loudly there. (thanks PA)

I like it.

Edited by inkman

Culture change doesn't happen overnight, we all know that. It's tough but I'm trying to be patient and trust JBot.

He came from a winning culture so let's see what he does. As I said earlier, there is no Messier to parachute into the dressing room, so they need to address the leadership from within and make some moves as they become available.

I thought I was done with this, but I will keep an eye on the 2018 draft lists now.

Listen to Paul Hamilton's post game report (wild vs. buffalo 11/22/17)

Post-game meltdown in the locker room.  Pommer fuming; Nolan calling out the culture of the team (no accountability), Housley at wit's end with the group, and all that sort of good stuff.

Blow it up!  Rebuild the rebuild.  This group is done.  

:w00t:

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/11-22-paul-hamiltons-thoughts-wild-sabresmp3[/quote

About time, I guess the coddling has done wonders. Nice fancy lockeroom too

Leadership where, I see no schoenfeld, mike Ramsey, or Danny gare there.

Its inexcusable the team as currently built basically peaked Eichel and Rheinharts rookie years and has been swirling down the toilet bowl ever since...they should be getting better but they are getting worse...

Its head scratching and really indefensible...almost like they just concede whenever they get down a goal and then they'll get a lucky bounce to score down 4-1 in the third and then try and tie it and often come close...

If they just played that way in the first period they wouldn't find themselves down so much.

Is it just me or does this team look like it has to work inordinately hard just to get out of their own zone? I mean they spend a LOT of energy just trying to clear the pick most nights...too many times they have an easy chance to get the puck out and it doesn't get out...its embarrassing when other teams make a pass or two and are coming back at us...

Culture change doesn't happen overnight, we all know that. It's tough but I'm trying to be patient and trust JBot.

He came from a winning culture so let's see what he does. As I said earlier, there is no Messier to parachute into the dressing room, so they need to address the leadership from within and make some moves as they become available.

I thought I was done with this, but I will keep an eye on the 2018 draft lists now.

The longer the losing keeps happening the further away he gets from it....its like a festering wound...it has to be treated quickly before it starts spreading Edited by matter2003

^ they chase the puck, all 5 players get caught on the same side of the ice, when they get the puck they're easy to defend because everyone is next to one another. This team is complete garbage. I go nuts every time I see them try a stretch pass from behind their own net. It never works. Automatic turnover because the player can't handle the pass or it's off target and goes to the opposing teams defense. Big changes are needed.

Happy Thanksgiving.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.