Housley with some really strong words postgame

matter2003

Is he? 

I know people say he works hard practicing skills and beats himself up for playing bad, but is anyone claiming he's a great leader?

Maybe not the vocal one the young players need... Wonder if there is guy out there that might be able to verbally lead... I think Housley is trying to teach them and see who step forward.

Bogo maybe if he can get healthy.

Those are strong words. And they're specific as well.

Maybe a little weird (and counter-productive) that he's airing it through the media, though.

As discussed above, it doesn't necessarily take Housley off the hook. It could be interpreted as a first-time coach trying to deflect blame.

Is it not up to the coaches to make sure that the players are ready to play, at least to some degree?

Towit. (Not twit.)

Where is the Chris Drury type leader on this team that would demand players come prepared and those players would be so afraid to incur his wrath they wouldnt dare come to the rink unprepared?

O'Reilly is talked about as this great leader where is he when this is going on? Is he one of these players himself?? If he is preparing he should be all over these other guys who aren't and I am sure he knows who they are.

This comes from players holding themselves and each other accountable. Once enough players do this everyone else will fall in line. But it has to start somewhere and Jack has to be on board with it. If he falls in line everyone falls in line.

You are right, every great team in any sport relies on players holding each other accountable.

I can imagine how badly O'Reilly has played this year, up until last night sort of undermined his ability to do that. He has been lost and useless by his own admission. Hard to be a leader when you clearly need to be led yourself.

That's why I think Housley went public with it. Time for the general public, media, and fanbase to hold the team accountable since they have shown they desperately need leadership and accountability. I imagine he is hoping it will spark a player (or more) to bring accountability back in-house, where it's more appropriate and effective.

My $.02

Yes many times

I don't know. I think people want him to have a C because of his work ethic and his nice beard. But I don't think he's ever been labeled a "great leader". He seems to get chided for hitting a Tim Hortons more than he gets praised for his supposed leadership skills. He only came second in the Captain Poll, beating out a guy who wasn't even signed to the team and still isn't, and failing to beat a guy who until the last few games hasn't exhibited leadership skills other than being the chosen one. Not a ringing endorsement. 

As discussed above, it doesn't necessarily take Housley off the hook. It could be interpreted as a first-time coach trying to deflect blame.

Towit. (Not twit.)

I have to imagine Housley wouldn't have said so much if the team hadn't responded positively in the 3rd. I suspect that what he told the media post-game was essentially what he told the team during the second intermission. He felt comfortable speaking plainly because the players had already heard it and responded to it, and they wouldn't pay any attention to him repeating it to the media. 

I don't know. I think people want him to have a C because of his work ethic and his nice beard. But I don't think he's ever been labeled a "great leader". He seems to get chided for hitting a Tim Hortons more than he gets praised for his supposed leadership skills. He only came second in the Captain Poll, beating out a guy who wasn't even signed to the team and still isn't, and failing to beat a guy who until the last few games hasn't exhibited leadership skills other than being the chosen one. Not a ringing endorsement.

I have to imagine Housley wouldn't have said so much if the team hadn't responded positively in the 3rd. I suspect that what he told the media post-game was essentially what he told the team during the second intermission. He felt comfortable speaking plainly because the players had already heard it and responded to it, and they wouldn't pay any attention to him repeating it to the media.

According to Rivet players never pay attention to coach press conferences, they are only aware of what was said through the media or if friends or family text them if its really crazy or they get called out personally

Interesting point on the chosen one... Jack is learning there is more to hockey than working on his game. Probably something Phil learned later, but a team needs a coach on the ice. You always see Sydney talking to his fellow teamates and discussing what is happening on the ice when he is on the bench or talking to the coaches... Saw Sam doing it last night with Phil... Honestly think Sam may surprise folks once he gets it down... I see him much more engaged the last few games.

Was listening to some former USA soccer players talk about the breakdown of Team USA in not qualifying for the World Cup. And, their position was the fire and passion and desire and "want to" has to come from the players themselves, not the coach. The desire to give 100% isn't something a coach should have to, or really can, coax out of a team. I think that applies to hockey as well. You can't have a coach motivate guys for 82 games. You're either the sort of player who will play hard every shift (a guy like Adam Mair comes to mind) or not. No system can fix lack of effort.

On that note, I think lack of effort is coming from some of our most talented players (Risto, Samson, etc.). That's a big problem and one we've seen before in Buffalo (e.g., the team in Lindy Ruff's last year was full of drifty drifters... and was captained by Pommer).

well said. :thumbsup:

According to Rivet players never pay attention to coach press conferences, they are only aware of what was said through the media or if friends or family text them if its really crazy or they get called out personally

So it's just a dog and pony show for the media. Great.

Right, so I don't see Housley using it as a forum for trying to kick the team in the a$$. He was just letting us know what I'm sure they players already knew: that he wasn't happy with their prep. 

Well I think it would be obvious the players would have heard it directly from the coach after the game and probably a lot more harshly than his media comments

. Yeh he was clearly irritated... better yet you could steam coming from his ears. Can’t capture the moment in the presser, but definitly saw a Vanek face.

Interesting point on the chosen one... Jack is learning there is more to hockey than working on his game. Probably something Phil learned later, but a team needs a coach on the ice. You always see Sydney talking to his fellow teamates and discussing what is happening on the ice when he is on the bench or talking to the coaches... Saw Sam doing it last night with Phil... Honestly think Sam may surprise folks once he gets it down... I see him much more engaged the last few games.

I actually think communication isn't too much of an issue right now. I regularly see Jack and Evander talking before faceoffs. I don't think this is one of those teams where guys are just sitting on the bench staring into space. I've seen those teams. 

But I do like seeing Sam get into it more. 

this team is fast becoming a huge disappointment.

On paper there is little reason for this slow start, so it has to be the level or professionalism of the players themselves. Year after year we keep hearing the same cliche' .. We have to play a full 60 minutes

I agree. They have some talent they just don’t seem to work hard. Defense needs some help. How long before they figure it out? Who knows but they can’t keep losing or you can kiss the playoffs goodbye again.

I don't think fans or media have any impact on how the team plays.

This fan base panics at the drop of a feather.

:w00t:

So it's just a dog and pony show for the media. Great.

It's for the fans. He's talking to us. And he's trying to tell us, "Hey, it's not me. Look at these bums." He sounds insecure. It'll play OK for awhile, because he's new and we've seen this act for years. We hate the players now more than a popular former player. But the tide will turn on the coach very quickly if this keeps up. A team not being ready will eventually perch right on his shoulder.

:w00t:

It's for the fans. He's talking to us. And he's trying to tell us, "Hey, it's not me. Look at these bums." He sounds insecure. It'll play OK for awhile, because he's new and we've seen this act for years. We hate the players now more than a popular former player. But the tide will turn on the coach very quickly if this keeps up. A team not being ready will eventually perch right on his shoulder.

It is very rare when PA & I agree.

And preparation is 100% on the coach.  If he hasn't communicated his expectations for how the players prepare, that's on him.  If he hasn't dealt out consequences to those who aren't prepared, that's on him, too.

This core group hasn't shown the "do whatever it takes" desire at all. I cant ever recall guys like Sidney Crosby get called out for lack of preparation.

Jack, you wanna be a F'in star in this league? Then you better commit to it fully, not in fits and spurts.

Elaborate? If a student repeatedly doesn't do her homework, and there are no consequences, is the teacher doing her job?

In high school that made sense. The only consequences there were for lack of preparation past high school was my own failure.

Elaborate?  If a student repeatedly doesn't do her homework, and there are no consequences, is the teacher doing her job?

Is losing games not a sufficient consequence? What other consequences do there need to be? What can there be? 

Like it or not, Housley's punishment options are limited. Benching isn't a tangible threat, not at this point. None of these guys are young enough anymore for that to work. 

The players have to care about losing. Feeling bad about losing is the only real punishment. Feeling guilt for not performing when everything you need has been provided for. 

Everything else is just demeaning or for show. And that stuff doesn't get players to take responsibility. Not adult players. 

All Housley can do is try to get through to them that the only thing he can do is provide the tools. And I'm sure he knows what tools he's providing and the purpose they can serve given his time with Nashville. 

The rest is on the players. 

This core group hasn't shown the "do whatever it takes" desire at all. I cant ever recall guys like Sidney Crosby get called out for lack of preparation.

Jack, you wanna be a F'in star in this league? Then you better commit to it fully, not in fits and spurts.

In high school that made sense. The only consequences there were for lack of preparation past high school was my own failure.

I'll put it another way, then.  If I have a team of employees and they are constantly underperforming and I am not imposing consequences, am I doing my job as a manager?

Is losing games not a sufficient consequence? What other consequences do there need to be? What can there be? 

Like it or not, Housley's punishment options are limited. Benching isn't a tangible threat, not at this point. None of these guys are young enough anymore for that to work. 

The players have to care about losing. Feeling bad about losing is the only real punishment. Feeling guilt for not performing when everything you need has been provided for. 

Everything else is just demeaning or for show. And that stuff doesn't get players to take responsibility. Not adult players. 

All Housley can do is try to get through to them that the only thing he can do is provide the tools. And I'm sure he knows what tools he's providing and the purpose they can serve given his time with Nashville. 

The rest is on the players. 

If, for example, Eichel isn't preparing, benching him would send one hell of a message to all 23, wouldn't it?  Housley needs his Eruzione.

Edited by Eleven

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.