WTF is wrong with this team?

matter2003

Wrong*

All the rest of our forwards are players who were acquired from other teams or free agents. There are virtually no homegrown forwards on our team at the present. How can you argue against that?

Friday’s Lines:

Kane  O’Reilly  Moulson

Girgensons  Eichel  Pominville

Reinhart  Larsson  Griffith

Pouliot  Josefson  Nolan

*However, thank you for reading my comment and caring enough to answer back, even though it was only a one word answer.

Edited by Marvelo

All the rest of our forwards are players who were acquired from other teams or free agents. There are virtually no homegrown forwards on our team at the present. How can you argue against that?

Friday’s Lines:

Kane  O’Reilly  Moulson

Girgensons  Eichel  Pominville

Reinhart  Larsson  Griffith

Pouliot  Josefson  Nolan

*However, thank you for reading my comment and caring enough to answer back, even though it was only a one word answer.

Players acquired via trade or FA are not necessarily castoffs.  No way is ROR a castoff, just for one example. Nor Okposo, nor Kane, etc.  And Pominville certainly qualifies as home-grown, anyway.  

Nolan?  Sure, he's a castoff.  But the majority aren't.

I was thinking about it this morning. What if the plan is to keep this group intact for as long as possible until you make trades for picks and prospects. The new system is going to be 10x easier to learn in Rochester than it is up in Buffalo and you'll have hungry guys that understand their assignments and can be where your stars need them to be. Almost like a half season mini-rebuild. The team can come together and move forward until your top line talent is ready to move up next year (Nylander, Asplund, Casey)

By then you have a few great ELCs that understand the new system, can play it, and are out from underneath your albatross contracts like Moulson and Gorges and can stack some serious talent for a year or two for a deep run.

Friday’s Lines:

Kane O’Reilly Moulson

Girgensons Eichel Pominville

Reinhart Larsson Griffith

Pouliot Josefson Nolan

You said our forwards were cast offs so I stopped reading because that's . Cast offs are guys no one really wants. That isn't buffalo. Of course everyone over 23 is from somewhere else. We traded literally all our older guys.

It's like everyone has amnesia. Of course everyone over a certain age is not from Buffalo, we traded all the vets. All of them. No one from 2014 is on this team.

I’m with Liger here. Jordan Nolan is a castoff. Griffith a castoff. ROR and KO were specifically acquired for a specific purpose to allegedly improve the team.

However, as I’ve said til I’m blue in the face our rebuild pipeline has produced almost no talent outside the top picks (Jack, Sam and Risto), Girgensons, and McCabe. That is a horrible performance. Liger holds out hope that someone will emerge from our sea mediocre pre-2016 prospects and we both have hope for last 2 classes, but I agree that had we had competent management since 2012 we’d be further along in this rebuild, with more homegrown talent and a better team on the ice.

You said our forwards were cast offs so I stopped reading because that's ######. Cast offs are guys no one really wants. That isn't buffalo. Of course everyone over 23 is from somewhere else. We traded literally all our older guys.

It's like everyone has amnesia. Of course everyone over a certain age is not from Buffalo, we traded all the vets. All of them. No one from 2014 is on this team.

With all due respect, and I'm answering you with the respect that you and everyone else deserves, without coarse language, swearing or insults, the way people deserve to be treated, with respect. (believe me it makes the world a nicer place)...I intended the word castoff to be used is below, from the dictionary.

castoff

a person or thing that has been thrown aside or rejected

To me, a castoff is a player that was cast off by his former team, not by all teams. It's not a guy that nobody wants. It's a guy that didn't work out with his original team...You misunderstood the meaning. It implies the guy didn't work out here, he didn't work out there, so Buffalo gets him.

9 out of 12 of our current forwards came from other teams.

That is a reason of what's wrong with this team, which was frankensteined together by two first-time GMs.

Edited by Marvelo

Very respectful to post a dictionary definition of a word that even 45 understands.

They still were not rejected from their teams. That implies a negative aspect. ROR was moved because of money. Scandella because of depth. Okposo because he wanted out. So yes you're right we have cast offs, players who cast off their old team.

Edited by LGR4GM

With all due respect, and I'm answering you with the respect that you and everyone else deserves, without coarse language, swearing or insults, the way people deserve to be treated, with respect. (believe me it makes the world a nicer place)...I intended the word castoff to be used is below, from the dictionary.

castoff

a person or thing that has been thrown aside or rejected

To me, a castoff is a player that was cast off by his former team, not by all teams. It's not a guy that nobody wants. It's a guy that didn't work out with his original team...You misunderstood the meaning. It implies the guy didn't work out here, he didn't work out there, so Buffalo gets him.

9 out of 12 of our current forwards came from other teams.

That is a reason of what's wrong with this team, which was frankensteined together by two first-time GMs.

Your definition and the dictionary definition don't match.

I did try to respect you by offering the exact technical meaning of the word from the dictionary to illustrate my point...and then you go off and insult 45. I'm sure it was good natured. Players don't work out in certain places for XYZ reasons and they those teams decide that a certain player no longer has a role on his original team. Then they unload him, or refuse to re-up. So yes, we do agree on the basic concept and I was glad that we could discuss it with respect, which is becoming a dinosaur concept to those who disagree or think they disagree.

Dude, by your definition, Wayne Gretzky was a castoff - multiple times.

Here is some good news.

1) We have actually been in 3 of the 5 games we have played with a chance to win or at least gets points in two if the games.

2) Jack is a true franchise player who makes the players around him better.

3) Pommers looks solid on Jack's RW.

Sadly, that's it for the positives.

Scoring has coming from Jack and whom ever is playing with Jack.  I have zero idea why Housley moved Z off Jack's line in the third last night.  I'm wondering if it is worth trying ROR on Jack's wing to help him get find some confidence and his game?

Y'all threw DD under the boss last year.  System, system, system.  It was the players.  We dumped 10 and most of the rest still stink.  Don't care and don't give it their all.  

Dude, by your definition, Wayne Gretzky was a castoff - multiple times.

Jagr, LaFontaine, Gretzky, Hasek, Patrick Roy, Housely, Peter Forsberg, Messier, Brett Hull, Ciccarelli, Doug Gillmour; those are just the HoF players I sampled through. Well, not Jagr but that's just a matter of time; I'm sure by 2034 when he's been retired a couple years he'll be inducted.

Housley lambasted them postgame yesterday amd rightfully so.

This team wants to make you believe they work hard..well maybe at practice but apparently not watching film to understand opponent tendencies away from the rink...its easy to work hard when you are being watched...what are you doing when nobody is there to make yourself better? Apparently nothing...

Housley went off on them saying they were completely unprepared and it was an unacceptable level of preparation. He furrhee went on to say that you just csnt step on the ice and expect to win the games in the NHL and that is takes a lot of hard work and preparation on and off the ice and now the players know what to expect and there will be consequences if they dont do things the way he wants them done.

I guess we know why they look lost out there...they have no clue what the other team is doing. What an indixtment of the so called leadership...could you imagone Chris Drury ever allowing this type of thing to happen??

Here is some good news.

1) We have actually been in 3 of the 5 games we have played with a chance to win or at least gets points in two if the games.

2) Jack is a true franchise player who makes the players around him better.

3) Pommers looks solid on Jack's RW.

Sadly, that's it for the positives.

Scoring has coming from Jack and whom ever is playing with Jack. I have zero idea why Housley moved Z off Jack's line in the third last night. I'm wondering if it is worth trying ROR on Jack's wing to help him get find some confidence and his game?

Y'all threw DD under the boss last year. System, system, system. It was the players. We dumped 10 and most of the rest still stink. Don't care and don't give it their all.

Add in..Kane has been a beast most games and has been the best player on the ice for us and Reinhart actually factored in on 3 of the 4 goals last night and Housley seems to be flexible enough to understand that even though he doesn't like Reinhart standing in front of the net on the PP it led to 3 goals for them last night...one by him on a tip and two more by the goalie being screened by him. Reinhart and O'Reilly both got going last night..hope that continues. Edited by spndnchz

Housley lambasted them postgame yesterday amd rightfully so.

This team wants to make you believe they work hard..well maybe at practice but apparently not watching film to understand opponent tendencies away from the rink...its easy to work hard when you are being watched...what are you doing when nobody is there to make yourself better? Apparently nothing...

Housley went off on them saying they were completely unprepared and it was an unacceptable level of preparation. He furrhee went on to say that you just csnt step on the ice and expect to win the games in the NHL and that is takes a lot of hard work and preparation on and off the ice and now the players know what to expect and there will be consequences if they dont do things the way he wants them done.

I guess we know why they look lost out there...they have no clue what the other team is doing. What an indixtment of the so called leadership...could you imagone Chris Drury ever allowing this type of thing to happen??

Add in..Kane has been a motherfvcking beast most games and has been the best player on the ice for us and Reinhart actually factored in on 3 of the 4 goals last night and Housley seems to be flexible enough to understand that even though he doesn't like Reinhart standing in front of the net on the PP it led to 3 goals for them last night...one by him on a tip and two more by the goalie being screened by him. Reinhart and O'Reilly both got going last night..hope that continues.

Me too. Reinhart should change his address to "opponents goal crease", and just camp out in front of every goalie if it's going to work that well. It was interesting how cognizant he was about being in Subban's sight lines, and obviously effective. Also it frustrated the goaltender, and we know as well as anyone (with Lehner) that a goalie "on tilt" can be less than ideal.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.