The New Lineup Thread

GASabresIUFAN

The Cap number published by the News is a little suspect.  They are including the injured players (Malone, Nylander and ERod).  As soon as they are healthy all three will be in Rochester, with only Erod having to clear waivers.  

The actual cap number is a fraction over 69 million for the 13 forwards, 9 D including the injured McCabe) and 2 goalies.  This is be reduced further once McCabe is healthy and some like Tennyson, Falk or Gorges is sent down.  If Gorges is sent down, I think we receive about $1 mill in cap relief.

Longer term we have $45 mill committed to 12 players for next season.

We are set on defense with 6 D already signed (Risto, Bogo, Scandella, Baloo, McCabe and Tennyson) with Guhle on his ELC and Antipin a RFA.  The 6 D cost $19.193, with Guhle due an extra 700K

At forward:  We are ROR, KO, Pommers, Moulson, Girgensons and Larsson under contract for $27.175.  Jack, Sam and Griffith are RFAs.  Kane, Pouliot, Nolan and Josefson are UFA.  Who knows if any of them except Jack and Sam will be back next year.  I'm pencilling $16 mill to keep Jack and Sam, which would give us 8 forward for $43.175.  Odds are that Nylander replaces one of the FAs for another 900K.

Goalies: Lehner is a RFA currently earning $4 mill and Johnson is a UFA earning $2.5.  At worst Johnson will be replaced by Ullmark next season who is under contract for $750K.

Bottomline: the Sabres have no huge cap issues for next season.

The D group is 7 deep (w Guhle) for next year @ 19.893 plus Antipin if re-signed.

The forward group is 9 deep (with Nylander) @ 44.075 with maybe Kane and some depth players to sign or acquire. 

Goalie is also OK.  Lehner, a RFA could be signed if he looks good.  But I also won't be surprised if Jbot trades him and gives the team to Ullmark to save $ long-term.  Goalie cost $750K.  Backups usually are 1 to 1.5 in cost, but if Jbot gives the team to Ullmark, he may re-sign Johnson again to have a solid backup.  Still, this is a lot cheaper then re-signing Lehner if Robin isn't Jbot's guy.

This puts us at $64.718 with 17 players under contract including Jack and Sam.  That leaves 11+ mill to find 4 forwards and a goalie.  This is before Jbot finds a way to get rid of Moulson, maybe Bogo and possibly Lehner.  A buyout of Moulson would result in a cap savings of only $1.33 next season, but a buyout of Bogo would result in a $4 mill savings for each of the next 2 seasons. (It would be easier to send Moulson to Roch, save $1 in cap and have no obligation to him beyond next year, but this is $3.7 mill in real $ more expensive).  If I had to guess, Jbot keeps one of Kane or Lehner, but not both.  With Lehner being the more likely choice to stay.

Edited by GASabresFan

So compared to last year's early roster we are essentially going to enter the season with the same core guys (Risto, Jack, Kyle, Ryan, Robin and Evander) in the same key roles.

These are the exceptions:

* Jason Pominville moves into Sam Reinhart's spot as a top 6 RW

* Reinhart replaces Johan Larsson as the 3C

* Marco Scandella switches in for Dimitri Kulikov as a tough-minute 2/3 D

We made a lot of changes to the bottom half of the roster

* Girgensons, Pouliot and Griffith step in to the spots occupied by Ennis, Foligno and Gionta in the middle six

* Larson/Josefson/Nolan replaces Deslauriers/Grant/Girgensons on the fourth line

* Beaulieu and Antipin take over from Franson and Gorges

* Chad Johnson returns to take over the backup spot from Anders Nilsson.

I think we improved the talent on the back line. The forwards are - at best - a wash.

If we're going to make the playoffs this year it will because our young players took a step up and/or Housley is significantly better than Bylsma.

It is either further proof that Regier sucked at evaluating and developing talent and/or ex-GMTM was just as bad or both.  I tend to think both and ex-GMTM had the added afflication of dumping prospects so that he could acquire over priced vets to destroy our cap flexibility.  

After the last two GM's, one of which was heavily lauded for his ability to find and evaluate talent, I don't know why so many are head over heels over the current GM before he's actually built anything.  Wait and see for me.

It's not.  There were no promotions because of the waiver process.

You believe that one of our big 4 played their way on the team but were sent down because of waiver rules?  I'm skeptical.

Passenger not a driver and 5 million to boot. Its bad enough we have Moulson at 5 possibly spending the season in street clothes, we add another 3/4th liner at 5 million. Scandella better be the second coming of Mike Ramsay for the trade to be worth it. Right now it looks like Kulikov 2.0. Never been a Pominville fan, especially at this late stage of his career.

Pouliot didn't look good to me either, Pominville was fine though.

I know most vets get a preseason pass or two, but I'd say Matty has used his up.

He is fine if you put him with Sam on the third line, but he will not be a factor with Jack and Kane. Poulliot is hot garbage.

Not exactly.  Had Fasching, Baptiste and/or Bailey earned a slot, they'd still be in Buffalo and we would have risked sending someone like Josefson down

I don't think so.  This is the best way to protect two players.

I think GA is right here. When AHL guys are truly ready to make the jump, they make the jump. We wouldn't put a substantially better player in Rochester due to fear of losing a marginal one on waivers. If not, how would AHL guys make the jump?

New lines in practice today:

Pouliot - O'Reilly - Okposo

Kane - Eichel - Griffith

Girgensons - Reinhart - Pominville

Moulson - Josefson/Larsson - Nolan

Beaulieu - Ristolainen

Scandella - Tennyson

Antipin - Falk

---

I really like the look of line 3. I'm not sure about Pouliot, or a career AHLer in Griffith in the top 6. But that's the price one pays for structuring the lineup with balance in mind, and these are the most balanced lines we've seen.

Hopefully whoever of Josefson/Larsson that doesn't play 4C shifts over to 4L and bumps Moulson to 13.

On D, I think things will look pretty good once Bogosian goes in for Tennyson and McCabe for Falk. I suppose Antipin will go back to the right side at that time.

That'd be my preference as well.

Count me in on this too.

Here's the thing: Eichel doesn't need to play with the best players to get his points and has yet to elevate the play of his linemates.

My choices would be someone to get him the puck and someone who can get open: I want that to eventually be Nylander and Fasching, but Griffiths and Girgensons sorta fit, provided they can finish what he starts

Putting him with two guys who can skate with him while pumping up the other two lines might work.

Count me in on this too.

Here's the thing: Eichel doesn't need to play with the best players to get his points and has yet to elevate the play of his linemates.

My choices would be someone to get him the puck and someone who can get open: I want that to eventually be Nylander and Fasching, but Griffiths and Girgensons sorta fit, provided they can finish what he starts

Putting him with two guys who can skate with him while pumping up the other two lines might work.

I'd love to finally see Kane with Reinhart.

I still think these lines are the closest we've seen to balanced lines.

Beaulieu - Ristolainen

Scandella - Tennyson

Antipin - Falk

---

On D, I think things will look pretty good once Bogosian goes in for Tennyson and McCabe for Falk. I suppose Antipin will go back to the right side at that time.

I wonder he Guhle gets the call up to play. Or maybe Georges plays instead of Tennyson

New lines in practice today:

Pouliot - O'Reilly - Okposo

Kane - Eichel - Griffith

Girgensons - Reinhart - Pominville

Moulson - Josefson/Larsson - Nolan

Beaulieu - Ristolainen

Scandella - Tennyson

Antipin - Falk

---

I really like the look of line 3. I'm not sure about Pouliot, or a career AHLer in Griffith in the top 6. But that's the price one pays for structuring the lineup with balance in mind, and these are the most balanced lines we've seen.

Hopefully whoever of Josefson/Larsson that doesn't play 4C shifts over to 4L and bumps Moulson to 13.

I like these lines better than what I've seen so far. I like a physical player on each line. I also like having Pommers on a line which will likely only play 15 minutes a night at most. I also think he'll be a good coach on the ice for Sam and Girgensons. I also like adding Griffith's speed to Jack and Kane. They could run teams into the ground. It also gives Griffith the Best chance to succeed. Still have Griffith and Pouliot on our first two lines shows how far we still have to go.

I like these lines better than what I've seen so far. I like a physical player on each line. I also like having Pommers on a line which will likely only play 15 minutes a night at most. I also think he'll be a good coach on the ice for Sam and Girgensons. I also like adding Griffith's speed to Jack and Kane. They could run teams into the ground. It also gives Griffith the Best chance to succeed. Still have Griffith and Pouliot on our first two lines shows how far we still have to go.

He's coming. Check out the Mittelstadt thread.

I don't like handicapping our two highest ice time centers with a bum and a AAAA player. Seems like we're forcing something that just isn't there.

In the case of Eichel, Griffith hypothetically wouldn't be a handicap relative to Pominville. At least he's got speed.

Sure, ROR has to be saddled with Pouliot. But it's a small sacrifice to make, if we believe someone like Casey is going to be the real deal. For the long game, it's worth getting Sam the proper reps at C with actual support on the wings, if we're looking at Mittelstadt - O'Reilly - Okposo in a season or two. At that point, having 3 balanced lines centered around our 3 prized centers only makes sense.

I'm hoping Pouliot isn't so terribly bad that he completely offsets the good that will come from more balanced lines.

Edited by Thorny

I don't like handicapping our two highest ice time centers with a bum and a AAAA player.  Seems like we're forcing something that just isn't there.

I was there to begin with. But listening to this board talk about Jack being a liability on defense and not having the right attitude, it makes sense to put him in a position to free lance with speedsters to help get get back defensively. If Griffith has any ability to fiinish he will do, and Girgs is a decent defensive player and above average at possession. My concern with Kane is the Housley is preaching a shoot at all costs mentality which Evander will take to like a duck to water. I'd rather he do it with Sam in front and Pominville cleaning up scraps.