Training camp questions #12: can Bogo start emptying the bunker?

dudacek

By the end of last season even his biggest supporters were spending time in his bunker.

It's clear from a recent interview he blames at least part of his ineffectiveness on not being allowed to play his game.

It is also clear he will be injured at some point.

What isn't clear is whether he will be the flawed but decent 2nd pairing guy we got from the Jets?

Or the liability spare-part he was last year?

I think he takes a big step forward this year.  He's right:  The Bylsma system was a total mismatch for his talents, and it seemed like DDB didn't make any effort to adapt the system to the players (except for Jack).  I think Bogo will naturally fit into Housley's system better, and I like to think Housley will do a better job of fitting the system to the talent, rather than make it all about the system.

Even if only the first is true, Bogo should rebound significantly.

I am cautiously optimistic that Bogo will start to look more like the guy we saw when we first traded for him than the rented mule we saw last season. IMO it is all about confidence with him and allowing Bogo to play aggressively will bring out a lot more of the good parts of his game and make his negatives far more acceptable.

I am cautiously optimistic that Bogo will start to look more like the guy we saw when we first traded for him than the rented mule we saw last season. IMO it is all about confidence with him and allowing Bogo to play aggressively will bring out a lot more of the good parts of his game and make his negatives far more acceptable.

I don't think he'll be any better defensively, but at least he should generate some more offense, which is all we really need from him. 

These questions are all triggering my Bylsma rage.

Think of it as a cleansing.

I think he will revert back to his usual self ... a reliable #4 with a nasty attitude, at times.

Paired with the right guy (McCabe, IMO) they will be a good 3/4 unit behind Risto and that new guy, who's name escapes me at the moment, but it is Italian.

Mozzarella, innit?

I think a lot of it will depend on how well the new comers do. If the two guys we got in trades are really good--I'm hoping they are--Bogo will fighting for minutes, which creates competition where everyone hopefully gets better. And if Guhle just plays too well to not be in the line up Bogo might be sitting in the press box 

We have 2 righty defenders, one is Bogo. He would have to majorly up to be in the press box. 

It's funny to see everyone blame Bylsma for poor individual play, but anybody who had success (Eichel/Kane) was because of their own doing.

Bogo is what he is.   He was the same WPG as he was the last 2 seasons in BUF.    A liability in his own end, a fast skater who lacks quickness to escape with the puck, and legally brain dead.    Dr. Phil can't just waive a magic wand and turn him into an All-Star.     I don't think he's a good fit off the ice either, I'll be surprised if he's still around come the trade deadline. 

It's funny to see everyone blame Bylsma for poor individual play, but anybody who had success (Eichel/Kane) was because of their own doing.

Bogo is what he is.   He was the same WPG as he was the last 2 seasons in BUF.    A liability in his own end, a fast skater who lacks quickness to escape with the puck, and legally brain dead.    Dr. Phil can't just waive a magic wand and turn him into an All-Star.     I don't think he's a good fit off the ice either, I'll be surprised if he's still around come the trade deadline. 

I'm basing it more off the 21 games he played for us under Nolan after the trade in 2015. If Housley can get Bogosian back to that level, I'll be happy.

Bogo is what he is. He was the same WPG as he was the last 2 seasons in BUF. A liability in his own end, a fast skater who lacks quickness to escape with the puck, and legally brain dead. Dr. Phil can't just waive a magic wand and turn him into an All-Star. I don't think he's a good fit off the ice either, I'll be surprised if he's still around come the trade deadline.

Maybe Eichel and Kane could've been... EVEN BETTER???!!!

Seeiously though, when every single player on the roster suffers a hit to their average production, you can't not blame the coach. Add in the hundred gazillion hours of the eye test, and you can really stop defending Bylsma now.

Maybe Eichel and Kane could've been... EVEN BETTER???!!!

Seeiously though, when every single player on the roster suffers a hit to their average production, you can't not blame the coach. Add in the hundred gazillion hours of the eye test, and you can really stop defending Bylsma now.

He may not have been the right coach for this team, but to blame him for Bogosian's (and others) shortcomings as a player is being quite presumptuous IMO. 

I will gladly eat crow if guys like Bogo and Girgensons suddenly resurrect their careers under Housley, but I find that highly unlikely.     

He may not have been the right coach for this team, but to blame him for Bogosian's (and others) shortcomings as a player is being quite presumptuous IMO. 

I will gladly eat crow if guys like Bogo and Girgensons suddenly resurrect their careers under Housley, but I find that highly unlikely.     

I think Zemgus has a much better shot of resurrection when compared to Bogo. If Bogo is better it will be because he is in a better situation. 

I won't speak to Kane, but it seemed pretty apparent that Eichel has much more leeway to play outside of the system and do his own thing.

Scandalous! ;)

That doesn't sound even slightly EYEtalian.

I won't speak to Kane, but it seemed pretty apparent that Eichel has much more leeway to play outside of the system and do his own thing.

That doesn't sound even slightly EYEtalian.

Can he talk without using his hands? That's the best test I'm aware of. Tie his hands behind his back and see if he becomes a mute.

Bogo isn't good, but he's at his best skating down the ice and shooting the shoots. Instead we were a crap possession team and Bogo had to spend the whole season in his own end or injured.

Bogo isn't good, but he's at his best skating down the ice and shooting the shoots. Instead we were a crap possession team and Bogo had to spend the whole season in his own end or injured.

Except that one time when he raced in a scored that beaut in OT, if I recall correctly.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.