October: What to expect when you're expecting HOCKEY

LGR4GM

I don't think the team can afford a slow start out of the gate, and I think everyone involved knows that. The off-season "Reset" didn't buy the team a grace period like the original Tank did: gotta make the playoffs this season.

I think Lehner is on a quick leash for this reason.

If this team has 10 points after the 1st 10 games, there is AMPLE time to pick things up to the ~96 point season long pace it'll take to make the playoffs. 4-4-2 gets them there & it's only 2 points off the 12 they need to be at 96 after 80 games (w/ 2 bonus road games they can likely afford to lose to round out the full slate of 82).

Picking up 12 points out of the 1st 20 games will sink the season. Bit I'd expect the ineviable slow start to be 8-10 points out of the 1st 10 games.

Sorry, but I see only 5 winnable games in Oct....   10 points in 12 games.   Maybe squeak out an OT point here or there to get to 11 or 12, but it's a rough start....  new system, new players, west coast road trip.

W: @NYI, NJD, @VGK, VAN, DET

L: MTL, @SJS, @LAK, @ANA, @BOS, @CBJ, SJS

Sorry, but I see only 5 winnable games in Oct....   10 points in 12 games.   Maybe squeak out an OT point here or there to get to 11 or 12, but it's a rough start....  new system, new players, west coast road trip.

W: @NYI, NJD, @VGK, VAN, DET

L: MTL, @SJS, @LAK, @ANA, @BOS, @CBJ, SJS

You seem to be forgetting that Joe Thornton's boys are the Sabres' beeotches. ;)

I expect I'll watch the team early in the season with grand hopes of entertainment and be disappointed rather early in the season and I stop looking for feeds to watch.

Really, until they show competence at building a good team that translates on the ice, I assume we ain't done sucking.

There, Ink.  There is your doom and gloom. 

Housley's defense isn't irresponsible.  Even if they struggle a bit to pick up on the system initially - we will improve from the worst team on shots against/game.  The defense contributing to an offense that was tied for 24th in goals/game should also improve right away. 

Obviously I think it's difficult to think we'll come out clicking in all areas but I expect us to immediately look improved.

I also remember Jack coming back from injury like he was shot out of a cannon and still wasn't 100% healthy.  I expect he does the same only much bigger.  I think he's motivated to start blue hot.  We won't look great as a team as the system will need time but I'm going with 7-4-1 on the back of Jack Eichel and he'll be the talk of the hockey world.

• 7 months later...

....interesting to re-read these predictions.  

I expect the disco demolition to be worth at least 20 points. Not freaking kidding. This team as assembled is a playoff team. Going forward. Something Disco had no concept of. All will be well.

I expect a very very poor start.    They'll struggle to keep the goals against down because of Housley's firewagon system.    Lehner will be exposed as they'll give up 5-6 breakaways a game.    Johnson will take over sometime late October, and they'll start winning some games.     Overall an up and down season while they adjust to the new system, missing the playoffs by a dozen points or more. 

Frustrating start, then some good play, then more frustrating play, then some good play. Miss the playoffs by 2-8 points.

I think they come out on fire, giving up a lot of goals, but scoring a ton. They're near the front of the pack but start to fall apart around Thanksgiving because they're not used to playing with such speed and just tire out. They limp into the playoffs and get beat the first round, but they're over the hump and know what it's going to take next year.

I'm gonna go out on a limb:  The Sabres will win 7 of their first 10.  Jack will lead the way in scoring, followed by Kane, ROR and Pommer.  McCabe greatly impresses Housley and is named Captain.  Pominville, even with no letters on his jersey, becomes a "big brother" leader to the young guys, inspiring them with tales of Sabres teams past.

In all seriousness, I fully expect the Sabres to get off to a better start than they ever did with DDB.  I think Housley's system will be sound and will resonate with the team.  The basic system will be simple but flexible enough to allow the starts to shine.  The league will underestimate the Sabres and they'll be significantly over .500 by the end of October.

I'd expect a sub-DeLuca but NHL 0.500 in October. & then playing overall at ~98 point pace from there on out. 2 decent (5+ game) NHL win streaks & 1 sad DeLuca 4-5 game losing streak. Perhaps a 2nd 4 game L streak.

Should be enough to make the playoffs. If they can stay in the Adams rather than WCing to the Patrick might even win a round.

October:  Start slow, under .500.  Jack feeling the pressure of $10 million and being Captain.  Tries to do too much.  Lehner is average, Chad outplays him in his only start.  Pominville leading goals scorer.  Risto leads in points.  Sabres only team to not have a fighting major in October.

November:  Team shows some hope.  Gets to .500 by end of month.  Defense better but still not scoring enough.  Jack gets in a grove.   Lehner still average.  Chad gets more games and impresses.  PP is cold.  Some games are very entertaining (best in years) followed by duds.  Fasching a pleasant surprise with 5 goals YTD.  

I expect I'll watch the team early in the season with grand hopes of entertainment and be disappointed rather early in the season and I stop looking for feeds to watch.

Really, until they show competence at building a good team that translates on the ice, I assume we ain't done sucking.

There, Ink.  There is your doom and gloom. 

I think they come out on fire, giving up a lot of goals, but scoring a ton. They're near the front of the pack but start to fall apart around Thanksgiving because they're not used to playing with such speed and just tire out. They limp into the playoffs and get beat the first round, but they're over the hump and know what it's going to take next year.

Well, I was right about giving up a lot of goals and falling apart after Thanksgiving.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.