WildCard

Captain  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one

• Eichel
    • O'Reilly
    • Okposo
    • Someone Else

I really think Matthews is in the same boat. Maybe not to the extent as Eichel is, but he is by far and away the face of the franchise in Toronto. Eichel is just by by far far and away away 

They'll tell you its Mitch Marner, too. Mostly because he's Canadian. Matthews should be, but...

I'll one-up you. If Jack isn't the captain when the season opens I will take to the internet, purchase a jar of enzo sauce, and eat a sandwich with extra enzo sauce.

Deal. I'll do the same.*

*only contractually obliged to perform the "take to the internet" portion.

I know it's a message board, and chattering and spit balling ideas are what get done around here, but the idea of anyone other than Eichel as the team's next captain is ludacrisp. It's over-thinking the matter, and being too cute by more than half.

I'm not even 100% convinced it will work. Point of the matter is: It has to be him, and now. For good or for ill, it's gotta be him. This is his team. And I think it's evident that he wants it.

Is that like an apple crisp but with some other crazy fruit used instead? Like "Mango crisp and kiwi crisp are both forms of ludacrisp". 

Either way first we have to wait for the extension to be signed before they name him captain I'd imagine. Otherwise it would give his agent additional leverage lol.

Sounds like they're on track to extending though ☺

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/eichel-won-t-make-mcdavid-money-but-what-will-a-long-term-extension-cost-sabres

I know it's a message board, and chattering and spit balling ideas are what get done around here, but the idea of anyone other than Eichel as the team's next captain is ludacrisp. It's over-thinking the matter, and being too cute by more than half.

I'm not even 100% convinced it will work. Point of the matter is: It has to be him, and now. For good or for ill, it's gotta be him. This is his team. And I think it's evident that he wants it.

That's just it. It's a matter of principle as much as anything. What are we if Eichel isn't the captain? SGMs 2.0?

The Sabres identity as a team flows through Eichel and he needs to be the captain. That's all there is to it.

I'm not even 100% convinced it will work. Point of the matter is: It has to be him, and now. For good or for ill, it's gotta be him. This is his team. And I think it's evident that he wants it.

Respectfully disagree. Key word team. This is a team. EICHEL is not the team.

I want to see Jack finish a season without regretting quitting on it before naming him captain of anything.

See I view his rebellion as being a leader. Leaders shouldn't follow a system that clearly isn't working it. What Bylsma was doing was garbage. How Jack rebelled was immature, but the act of doing it was not. I think we need to recognize that if Jack is named captain, he'll need to grow into it. I believe that growing into it means Jack maturing. Others can help him on that path but he's the guy to walk it.

SGM?

Sex, guns, and mackerel

I think you give it to the guy who you want the team to look up to.... giving the C to somebody can change the way they play, their mannerisms, how much they lead.     

That said, give it Eichel now and I think we'll see some positive results in his consistency, play away from the puck, interviews, etc...

I think you give it to the guy who you want the team to look up to.... giving the C to somebody can change the way they play, their mannerisms, how much they lead.

That said, give it Eichel now and I think we'll see some positive results in his consistency, play away from the puck, interviews, etc...

That's what I'm thinking.

...and ROR is hard enough on himself without shouldering the added responsibility of Captain... he might need professional mental help if he has a bad game.

Edited by pi2000

...and ROR is hard enough on himself without shouldering the added responsibility of Captain... he might need professional mental help if he has a bad game.

I want to stress that this is through seven different grapevines, and is very vague, and should be taken as such - with the smallest grain of salt in the world. But I've heard through seven grapevines that someone who knows ROR said to someone to someone etc. that our perception of his obsessive drive to better himself to the point where it's too far is true, using the words "like, he's messed up" to describe it. 

We love you just the way you are, ROR.

I want to stress that this is through seven different grapevines, and is very vague, and should be taken as such - with the smallest grain of salt in the world. But I've heard through seven grapevines that someone who knows ROR said to someone to someone etc. that our perception of his obsessive drive to better himself to the point where it's too far is true, using the words "like, he's messed up" to describe it.

We love you just the way you are, ROR.

Damn.

Maybe his father's serial adoption of multiple foster sons took a toll on ol' Snook's self-esteem.

(That might be the worst thing I've ever thought, let alone typed here. It is intended as a joke - a rough one in the vein of Louis CK.)

I've been on the fence. Leaning towards ROR simply because I feel he has the room to grow into the role. I could also see it as a plus for Jack. I could also see ROR at C bring good for Jack as well.

Again, I don't want anyone coming to conclusions about the state of ROR's mental health, for his own personal privacy and to avoid the libel stuff yaddah yaddah. Not saying anyone has done that or said anything out of line here. I probably just shouldn't have said anything at all.

ROR is fine. Everyone has baggage. We overcome it by acknowledging it. We move on. We win Cups. Right?

Again, I don't want anyone coming to conclusions about the state of ROR's mental health, for his own personal privacy and to avoid the libel stuff yaddah yaddah. Not saying anyone has done that or said anything out of line here. I probably just shouldn't have said anything at all.

It's interesting to hear that he's obsessive about improving himself, but I'm not concerned about his mental stability..... maybe if he becomes Caption tho, haha.     

I'm going to share some of my personal experience....   I too had a similar mental state when I played competitively... it certainly had it's benefits but looking back I feel like I alienated some teammates because I was overly focused on my own play and less about how others were handling things... especially as a returning player in my junior/senior years.   Sleepless nights thinking about what I did wrong on the ice, visualizing how to improve things in my head pretty much all day long, blaming myself for losses to the nth degree.  

My parents taught me that anything is possible if you just worked hard enough at it, so I felt like I could always be better if I just worked more, spent more and more time on it to the point of it becoming an obsession.    Shouldering the blame for a loss because I didn't work hard enough at something that might have resulted in a difference making goal or preventing a goal.  Then spend days on end obsessing about how to fix it.   I'm sure a lot of players are that way to a degree.     When it's your job and you're at the rink every single day for seasons on end, it's pretty much all you think about all the time and it defines who you are.., it's what you do, what you're there for... your sense of self worth revolves around it entirely so you better work at it as hard as you can, or quit the game and do something else.  

It's interesting to hear that he's obsessive about improving himself, but I'm not concerned about his mental stability..... maybe if he becomes Caption tho, haha.

I'm going to share some of my personal experience.... I too had a similar mental state when I played competitively... it certainly had it's benefits but looking back I feel like I alienated some teammates because I was overly focused on my own play and less about how others were handling things... especially as a returning player in my junior/senior years. Sleepless nights thinking about what I did wrong on the ice, visualizing how to improve things in my head pretty much all day long, blaming myself for losses to the nth degree.

My parents taught me that anything is possible if you just worked hard enough at it, so I felt like I could always be better if I just worked more, spent more and more time on it to the point of it becoming an obsession. Shouldering the blame for a loss because I didn't work hard enough at something that might have resulted in a difference making goal or preventing a goal. Then spend days on end obsessing about how to fix it. I'm sure a lot of players are that way to a degree. When it's your job and you're at the rink every single day for seasons on end, it's pretty much all you think about all the time and it defines who you are.., it's what you do, what you're there for... your sense of self worth revolves around it entirely so you better work at it as hard as you can, or quit the game and do something else.

I just shuddered at the thought of you recording a negative +/- one game... :P

I kid, of course. Thanks for sharing this experience and others. You and others often make me wish I had played.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.