Captain  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one

• Eichel
    • O'Reilly
    • Okposo
    • Someone Else

It's not the same.

Eichel is THE guy. He needs to be wearing the C. I'm not going to have this undefined roles garbage that coaches use on teams to try to see who floats to the top of the garbage heap. Loser teams do that.

As soon as he signs his new deal he's the franchise #1 center. You give that guy the C. He's the face.

And I don't buy for a second all that rhetoric from players about not caring about the C. You bet your ass they care.

Eichel is still putting his game together? Nahhhh. He's the best player on this team. Give him the C.

I'm not going to complain if Jack gets the C this summer, for the record, just throwing other ideas out there.

I think Jack still has a lot to work on. He still hasn't shown the ability to elevate teammates that the other 2 centers on this team have, much less the way the truly elite guys do. He gets shelled when he's out there. He CAN top out at a Malkin level, and I want to create the environment that gives him the best possible chance to do that, and that may or may not include waiting on giving him the C for a few years.

It's not the same.

Eichel is THE guy. He needs to be wearing the C. I'm not going to have this undefined roles garbage that coaches use on teams to try to see who floats to the top of the garbage heap. Loser teams do that.

As soon as he signs his new deal he's the franchise #1 center. You give that guy the C. He's the face.

How is that any different than Matthews? 

Trepidation. The only reason for saying any one other than Eichel.

"I don't think he's ready" "what if he doesn't have the room" all bullsh!t.

He's the best player on the team. He's the captain and y'all can get with the program or not. Doesn't matter cause this is how it's going to be. ROR, take your Lady Byng and your not quite Selke trophy and get . It's Jack's team. The only guy with a shot at an Art Ross or a Richard gets the C.

(Full disclosure, I do not hate Ryan O'Reilly, I love him and do not wish him any ill will. I just think if he or anyone else is named captain then we are making a bullsh!t, half assed, loser decision that loser franchises make and that we will continue to be a garbage, loser franchise forever.)

Edited by ubkev

Matthews isn't the face of the Leafs. He's one of several. 

Whether Eichel likes it or not, he's always going to be placed a tier above everyone around him. 

I really think Matthews is in the same boat. Maybe not to the extent as Eichel is, but he is by far and away the face of the franchise in Toronto. Eichel is just by by far far and away away 

This. After all, it's about communicating to the players a clear message.

It will combine with the contract extension to make an unquestioned statement of how JBot and Housley view this team moving forward. ROR and KO assistants.

ROR and McCabe for A's.  Okposo may be a leader but I don't think he needs a letter. 

Well the situation is the same. Matthews and the core are deemed to young / not ready to take the C. So they go without one for a year, and give it to him next year

Matthews will surely get it going into his 3rd season, though. This is Jack's 3rd year.

There is only one correct answer here, and that's Jack getting the C.

He's the best player on the team. He's the captain and y'all can get with the program or not. Doesn't matter cause this is how it's going to be. ROR, take your Lady Byng and your not quite Selke trophy and get ######. It's Jack's team. The only guy with a shot at an Art Ross or a Richard gets the C.

(Full disclosure, I do not hate Ryan O'Reilly, I love him and do not wish him any ill will. I just think if he or anyone else is named captain then we are making a bullsh!t, half assed, loser decision that loser franchises make and that we will continue to be a garbage, loser franchise forever.)

Jack's not ready to be captain. He can't be rolling his eyes and looking all angst durring interviews if he's the captain. Nor can his elite natural abilities rub off on anyone else.

He's the best player on the team. He's the captain and y'all can get with the program or not. Doesn't matter cause this is how it's going to be. ROR, take your Lady Byng and your not quite Selke trophy and get ######. It's Jack's team. The only guy with a shot at an Art Ross or a Richard gets the C.

This.

Down a goal or needing one to win the entire team looks to Jack as the guy.  And so does the opposition.  Another player may step up, but the team never loses hope if Jack is on the ice in those situations. The opposition doesn't game plan for anyone else but Jack.  He is the guy. 

I can't believe there's so much debate about this. Eichel is the face of the franchise. This is his team and he will be named the captain. If I am wrong I will eat a sandwich.

ROR will have an A and I'm guessing a veteran with a fair amount of playoff experience will have the other A, which in my mind is Pominsteen.

Edited by mustacheofgod

I always assumed that a Captain in hockey is about having leadership, maturity, and basically setting the tempo for how the team plays. Not who is the best skater or scorer or face of the franchise. I'd be surprised if they named him Captain this soon that's all I'm saying.

Ovi is both the face of the Caps and their Captain. Is he a great Captain?

Edited by Saratoga Sabres Fan

Eichel is THE guy. He needs to be wearing the C. 

I know it's a message board, and chattering and spit balling ideas are what get done around here, but the idea of anyone other than Eichel as the team's next captain is ludacrisp. It's over-thinking the matter, and being too cute by more than half.

I'm not even 100% convinced it will work. Point of the matter is: It has to be him, and now. For good or for ill, it's gotta be him. This is his team. And I think it's evident that he wants it.

I always assumed that a Captain in hockey is about having leadership, maturity, and basically setting the tempo for how the team plays. Not who is the best skater or scorer or face of the franchise. I'd be surprised if they named him Captain this soon that's all I'm saying.

There's no one formula for naming the captain, every team is going to do it differently. Not every team has a McDavid, Crosby or Eichel or Matthews on it where you bestow the captaincy on a young star before he's "ready" but it's the right choice because you know damn well he's going to be the face of franchise for the next decade +.

We are lucky enough have suffered enough to be a team that has elite talent and the captaincy is going to go to Jack.

There's no one formula for naming the captain, every team is going to do it differently. Not every team has a McDavid, Crosby or Eichel or Matthews on it where you bestow the captaincy on a young star before he's "ready" but it's the right choice because you know damn well he's going to be the face of franchise for the next decade +.

We are lucky enough have suffered enough to be a team that has elite talent and the captaincy is going to go to Jack.

I'm not knocking him he's by far and away my favorite NHL player. In fact I'm normally online defending his elite abilities to non Sabres fans. He will be C eventually, no one disputes that. Just don't think he is mature enough yet for it that's all. 

I'm not knocking him he's by far and away my favorite NHL player. In fact I'm normally online defending his elite abilities to non Sabres fans. He will be C eventually, no one disputes that. Just don't think he is mature enough yet for it that's all.

Eventually? Yeah, no. It's now or never.

Pretty much. You can't give it to RoR and then just take it from him when Jack's ready. Give it to him now, he deserves and is ready for it

Exactly. There's definitely some locker room politics in play with the decision. Does he 100% deserve it this season? Of course not. But in time he will so you let him grow into the position. I also think it will push Jack to be even better. I think spiderman once said, "With great responsibilities come great snipes" or something. Maybe it was his uncle.

Keep in mind that Bobby Orr was never captain.

Gordie Howe was captain for only 5 of his 25 years with the Red Wings.

Guy Lafleur was never a captain.

I'm not opposed to Jack as captain, I just don't see it as automatically earned and whether he has the "soft skills".

I hope if Jack is named captain that he gets solid assistants. Gretzky was captain of the Oilers even though Messier has a leadership award named in his honour.

I can't believe there's so much debate about this. Eichel is the face of the franchise. This is his team and he will be named the captain. If I am wrong I will eat a sandwich.

ROR will have an A and I'm guessing a veteran with a fair amount of playoff experience will have the other A, which in my mind is Pominsteen.

It better be over-mayo'd, in that case.

I know it's a message board, and chattering and spit balling ideas are what get done around here, but the idea of anyone other than Eichel as the team's next captain is ludacrisp. It's over-thinking the matter, and being too cute by more than half.

I'm not even 100% convinced it will work. Point of the matter is: It has to be him, and now. For good or for ill, it's gotta be him. This is his team. And I think it's evident that he wants it.

Agreed. Even more so when reading the bolded in Gandalf's voice.

Eventually? Yeah, no. It's now or never.

Yup.

I'm probably in the minority but let ROR be an away captain and Jack at home. Or vice versa. Frankly leadership is most important but recognition is also a consideration. In my opinion ROR is in general most "qualified" at this point but Jack is the franchise guy.

Exactly. There's definitely some locker room politics in play with the decision. Does he 100% deserve it this season? Of course not. But in time he will so you let him grow into the position. I also think it will push Jack to be even better. I think spiderman once said, "With great responsibilities come great snipes" or something. Maybe it was his uncle.

It better be over-mayo'd, in that case.

Agreed. Even more so when reading the bolded in Gandalf's voice.

Yup.

I'll one-up you. If Jack isn't the captain when the season opens I will take to the internet, purchase a jar of enzo sauce, and eat a sandwich with extra enzo sauce.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.