Botterill and the Defense

LGR4GM

Why would you put BOGO on a 2nd pairing??

Because Antipin is a rookie, new to NA, a smallish player and I'm trying to create better match ups for him. Bogo is a bigger body with tons of experience who I think can be effective in a second line role with a simplified game and better coaching. I also don't think we have a choice given Antipin's lack of experience. Remember where you start a season isn't necessarily where you end it.

I think Gorges is available at a discount price to whoever wants him.

We might get a bite if someone isn't able to find what they want via free agency but I doubt it.

You may see him waived,

Could Jbot be keeping him and Delo to sub in against various teams in an enforcer type role?

There's still some work to be done:

1. Gorges needs to leave. He's old, sucks, doesn't play the style of defense that Housley wants, was supposed to bring solid veteran leadership last year but didn't, and this year costs $3.9 million that could go toward more productive areas of the roster.

2. The depth behind Risto on the right side is terrible. I'm not a fan of Bogo at all, but I've managed to convince myself that our Defenseman Whisperer head coach can salvage this 9-year vet who still is in his mid-20's and still has the raw physical talent of a 3rd overall draft choice. Antipin can supposedly shift to the right without issue. But behind these 3? No one with legitimate NHL talent. I'd like to see at least 1 RHD prospect to go with Guhle, our only real LHD prospect.

Some team would take Gorges.  It all depends on how much salary we retain.  If I'm another team, I would ask the Sabres to retain 75%.  At that price, it makes more sense to keep him in case we have to break the glass.  It's a no win situation.  I think we have to keep him as number 7 and hope he doesn't have to dress.

There's still some work to be done:

1. Gorges needs to leave. He's old, sucks, doesn't play the style of defense that Housley wants, was supposed to bring solid veteran leadership last year but didn't, and this year costs $3.9 million that could go toward more productive areas of the roster.

2. The depth behind Risto on the right side is terrible. I'm not a fan of Bogo at all, but I've managed to convince myself that our Defenseman Whisperer head coach can salvage this 9-year vet who still is in his mid-20's and still has the raw physical talent of a 3rd overall draft choice. Antipin can supposedly shift to the right without issue. But behind these 3? No one with legitimate NHL talent. I'd like to see at least 1 RHD prospect to go with Guhle, our only real LHD prospect.

This sounds like something I would have written.

Some team would take Gorges. It all depends on how much salary we retain. If I'm another team, I would ask the Sabres to retain 75%. At that price, it makes more sense to keep him in case we have to break the glass. It's a no win situation. I think we have to keep him as number 7 and hope he doesn't have to dress.

50% is the most you can retain on a contract. If we can't find a dance partner for that, I'd be fine with letting him lead the defense in Rochester and using him as an injury call up. Maybe we'll get lucky and somebody with pick him up on waivers.

50% is the most you can retain on a contract. If we can't find a dance partner for that, I'd be fine with letting him lead the defense in Rochester and using him as an injury call up. Maybe we'll get lucky and somebody with pick him up on waivers.

I also like the idea of Gorges to Rochester.

It wasn't me.

Could McCabe be on our 3rd pairing next season? Everyone seems to be matching up Baloo with Antipin. I think this is bad matchup. Antinpin is supposed to be a bit of a rover. He'll need a partner who is defensively aware. That is not Baloo's strength, but it is McCabe's.

What about?

Scandella Risto

Baloo Bogo

McCabe Antipin

I like those pairings.

I think the 2nd/3rd pairings are reasonably likely to play about the same amount of ES shifts, with fluctuations based on matchups and whoever is playing better.

I also like the idea of Gorges to Rochester.

The Sabres are at about $67 mill in cap, including Gorges once everyone is re-signed. No reason to send him down unless he gets beat out by some like Tennyson, or Wowie wants a r shot like Fedun riding the pine.

I like those pairings.

I think the 2nd/3rd pairings are reasonably likely to play about the same amount of ES shifts, with fluctuations based on matchups and whoever is playing better.

I agree. I was looking for a 24 minute pair coupled with 2 balanced 18 minute pairs. Edited by GASabresFan

Because Antipin is a rookie, new to NA, a smallish player and I'm trying to create better match ups for him. Bogo is a bigger body with tons of experience who I think can be effective in a second line role with a simplified game and better coaching. I also don't think we have a choice given Antipin's lack of experience. Remember where you start a season isn't necessarily where you end it.

Could Jbot be keeping him and Delo to sub in against various teams in an enforcer type role?

BOGO has been nothing but a disappointment.  I'd rather giev Antipin the shot there versus a guy I already know can't handle it and will be terrible at it.

You are acting like Antipin played in juniors or something...you realize most of these Russians coming over from the KHL step right in an perform prety well right?  The guy has been representing Russia in the Worlds for heaven's sake...I'm pretty sure he must be pretty good considering the amount of talent Russia has...

BOGO has been nothing but a disappointment. I'd rather giev Antipin the shot there versus a guy I already know can't handle it and will be terrible at it.

You are acting like Antipin played in juniors or something...you realize most of these Russians coming over from the KHL step right in an perform prety well right? The guy has been representing Russia in the Worlds for heaven's sake...I'm pretty sure he must be pretty good considering the amount of talent Russia has...

Kalinin played on world stage with Russia as well. Doesn't mean he can just step right in and play.

There are alot of guys on that Russian roster that teams aren't beating down the doors to get to.  It will be very interesting to see how well Antipin adapts.  Given that two GM's with very different visions were involved in his signing, I suspect there is good reason to believe that he will adapt and be an overall positive contributor.  But it isn't a given by any stretch.

There are alot of guys on that Russian roster that teams aren't beating down the doors to get to.  It will be very interesting to see how well Antipin adapts.  Given that two GM's with very different visions were involved in his signing, I suspect there is good reason to believe that he will adapt and be an overall positive contributor. But it isn't a given by any stretch.

A pertinent point.

There are alot of guys on that Russian roster that teams aren't beating down the doors to get to.  It will be very interesting to see how well Antipin adapts.  Given that two GM's with very different visions were involved in his signing, I suspect there is good reason to believe that he will adapt and be an overall positive contributor.  But it isn't a given by any stretch.

On the positive side he had Mike Keenan as his coach in Russia.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.