Rumor: LA Kings interested in Evander Kane

LGR4GM

I have a hard time believing he can stay healthy and sustain that shooting percentage all the way to the deadline again

10.8% shooting percentage isn't sustainable? 9%?

I think it is, he changed his game last year, it was apparent. It's not like he had a Drew Stafford year. 

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Yes because he hasn't expressed an interest to extend, reports that he wants to test free agency, him having a run in with the law here and likely wanting another fresh start, the lockout photo of him arguably idolozing money etc..

There are no legit reports that he wants to test free agency unless they've come from his or his agent's mouth, so lets just call that speculation.  Wanting a fresh start because of last years' offseason is more speculation.  And the lockout photo (how many years ago?) being a sign of him wanting to go into free agency is also speculation.

Sounds like hard evidence to make a judgement about his intentions to me.

There are no legit reports that he wants to test free agency unless they've come from his or his agent's mouth, so lets just call that speculation.  Wanting a fresh start because of last years' offseason is more speculation.  And the lockout photo (how many years ago?) being a sign of him wanting to go into free agency is also speculation.

Sounds like hard evidence to make a judgement about his intentions to me.

Well the logical fact that it would most likely be in his best financial interest to test free agency is reason enough to assume he will, everything else I listed is additional. I don't see us having both Okposo and Kane on big, long term contracts. Kane will command a big contract.

Edited by Saratoga Sabres Fan

Well the logical fact that it would most likely be in his best financial interest to test free agency is reason enough to assume he will; everything else I listed is additional. I don't see us having both Okposo and Kane on big, long term contracts. Kane will command a big contract.

It is in the best interests of every player to go UFA, but so, so many don't.  It's all speculation.

I'd be perfectly happy with trading Kane for #11. People have to face it, JBott is going to install his types of players who will play his type of hockey. GMTM had been building who knows what? He drafted good players, hired Teddy (briefly), then stuck them with Bylsma. What was the system he was trying to install? I don't see this as team building behavior. I can't just see JBott picking up where GMTM left off unless your name is Jack Eichel. We've already seen this with Estephan. Good player, but not what JBott wanted. There's going to be rebuilding. JBott is going to want to draft his own players and there's no reason we shouldn't give him the patience GMTM received.

I'd be perfectly happy with trading Kane for #11. People have to face it, JBott is going to install his types of players who will play his type of hockey. GMTM had been building who knows what? He drafted good players, hired Teddy (briefly), then stuck them with Bylsma. What was the system he was trying to install? I don't see this as team building behavior. I can't just see JBott picking up where GMTM left off unless your name is Jack Eichel. We've already seen this with Estephan. Good player, but not what JBott wanted. There's going to be rebuilding. JBott is going to want to draft his own players and there's no reason we shouldn't give him the patience GMTM received.

Yes there is. Fans won't be able to take another year of being out of the playoffs. 

It'll end up being an endless loop of suckitude perfected only by the Bills. 

If he won't re-sign reasonably, I try for a deal during the season.  I do not trade him for a draft pick over the summer.  I'm not sure I even trade him for a draft pick in February--and certainly not if they're in the playoff race, which they should be.  Again, there is value to saying to the other GMs, "###### you, I won't be had."

Let's not forget that this team isn't just about 2019 and 2020.  It's also about next year.

I'm responding*only* based upon the premise that the Sabres cannot get anything better for him than a draft pick right now.  If that's the best they can do, then why not ice the team they have and see how well they do? Why settle now?

Yup, I'm in agreement.

The only way we get a definitive answer is if someone with direct knowledge comes out and says so.  Otherwise, still speculation.

If he gets traded, that means he wasn't interested in whatever JB was willing to give him or JB wasn't going to offer an extension.

If he gets traded, that means he wasn't interested in whatever JB was willing to give him or JB wasn't going to offer an extension.

Right.

One of those means Kane wanted to go to free agency.  The other could be many things that have already been talked about.  Its still speculation to assume that Kane won't sign here.

Edited by We've

Right.

One of those means Kane wanted to go to free agency.  The other could be many things that have already been talked about.  Its still speculation to assume that Kane won't sign here.

If he's not here two seasons from now, I feel comfortable in stating affirmatively without speculation that he didn't want to sign here. Affirmatively, no speculation.

Yes there is. Fans won't be able to take another year of being out of the playoffs.

It'll end up being an endless loop of suckitude perfected only by the Bills.

Yes, it'll be the worse thing ever, right up there with your dog dying, but people will survive.

If he's not here two seasons from now, I feel comfortable in stating affirmatively without speculation that he didn't want to sign here. Affirmatively, no speculation.

That word doesn't mean what you think it means.

OK, but that's a pretty big "if."

Serious question: do you think Kane is holding his teammates back from greater success?

This is fair. I suppose I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that the Sabres oughta be able to get a real player who's ready now in exchange for Kane.

Tough question, I think he plays a selfish game on the ice, but lots of shooters do. I'm not a fan of how many shots he takes from low percentage areas, too many of them are easy to block. Other then that when he's on the ice he's a good player. More skilled then a large percentage of the NHL, however I doubt he will ever reach his ceilling.

The effects of a locker room cancer are well documented. Like that guy at work whose always upset, and wants everyone to be as miserable as him. Morale drops. Not a good thing in a team environment. Not saying I know Kane is a cancer, I don't know that. It's not out of the realm of possibility though. Players don't often call out teammates to the media, dudes are bros. A veteran of 500 games, attitude doesn't for the bill IMO. Eichel has a will to win that only legends have. We have a young team oozing of potential, I don't want the guys coming into the locker room looking up to Kane.

Not a knock on him as a person, he's living the dream and props to the guy. Do whatever you want it's nobody's business. Cups are hoisted by teams,and players who want it more then anything else! Is the risk worth the 30 goals in 70 games a season?

I mean can we all agree we would rather Hall on our roster? There were whispers of him being a bad teammate too but not relevant to where I'm going with this. Kane+ for Muzzin, sign a free agent forward for short term, couple of get defenseman and we could be a bubble team or better next season

Edited by LikeEich

Hey! I don't deserve that :huh:

I said "impression." I phrased it in the form of a question.

How many weasel words do you want? :P

Seriously though, the seed for my opinion was planted in the Pegula and Murray pressers and fertilized by the locker room cleanout interviews, where Jack talked about not everyone living and breathing hockey enough and Kane spent time defending the way he trains and prepares.

You don't, of course.  I was just kidding.  Also, with PA on hiatus, I don't have anyone to give grief to.

I guess I just thought your "don't you think they've both decided to move on" question was awfully...conclusive, or something, in light of the complete lack of anything from either Kane or the Sabres on this.

And while I agree that Friedman and McK are both credible, I think the percentage of deals that actually happen and that they report on in the way they reported on this one -- i.e. "I believe a trade is likely...I don't think he fits into their long-term plan," and "if they can make a deal it will happen," and not "I'm informed that the Sabres and Team X are very close to finalizing a deal in which the Sabres would receive ABC and Team X would get Kane" -- is, while higher than Garth's percentage, still pretty low.

Having said all that, there certainly is enough smoke not to be surprised if it happens.

I don't think lack of a veteran presence in the room was the issue. I think the lack of a real coach was. Bylsma was not a leader, even if his systems on the ice worked, we know he had communication problems with his players. They need a winner and leader as a coach and it will go a long way towards fixing some of the issues in the locker room. I personally do not think Kane is a cancer in that room but the room lacks focus.

Vancouver media ( sportradio1040 ) and Dave Pratt in particular was calling Kane a locker room cancer and a bad team mate. Not sure I'd go that far but the rumours over here are that Vancouver is interested and the guys on 1040 were against bringing him onto a young impressionable team. Seems to be the direction they are going this week. Benning and Linden change their minds on the direction it seems every couple of weeks depending on who you ask. So there is that perception outside of Buffalo still. I'm not sure if that'll go away or if it'll follow him like a bad smell for the rest of his career.

Kane's value is at its height now. Samesies for any good NHL young vet with one year left on his deal.

As someone noted upthread, that's why the best options are to extend or trade him this summer.

Having him as part of your team on an expiring deal seems sub-optimal. At best, he would help make the Sabres a bubble playoff team, and then most likely be gone after the season's over.

I don't think that'd be gpod asset management.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Kane's value is at its height now. Samesies for any good NHL young vet with one year left on his deal.

As someone noted upthread, that's why the best options are to extend or trade him this summer.

Having him as part of your team on an expiring deal seems sub-optimal. At best, he would help make the Sabres a bubble playoff team, and then most likely be gone after the season's over.

I don't think that'd be gpod asset management.

Or he goes on a tear next season, potting 40 geno's by the deadline... you could cash him in for way more, or keep him for a playoff run and try to sign him mid-season or something something blah blah... i'm tired of Kane talk.

Me too. I agree with whoever said earlier that Sabres fans have gotten into this routine of wanting to dump last year players just because they'll be UFA's, ever since the tank crap that we were forced to deal with for three years. 

They're not tanking any more, sometimes you risk holding onto a good player even though they're going to be a UFA at the end of the season. Can you get something for him? Sure. Then you're stuck trying to fill another hole during the offseason. 

Or he goes on a tear next season, potting 40 geno's by the deadline... you could cash him in for way more, or keep him for a playoff run and try to sign him mid-season or something something blah blah... i'm tired of Kane talk.

Or elephants could fly out of his butt.

Which would be slightly less likely than some of what you suggested.

Weird thread to visit if you're sick of such talk.

Murray didn't hire Nolan

That word doesn't mean what you think it means.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.