Randy Sexton and Steve Greeley hired as Asst GMs

Brawndo

It's a small world, you don't wanna be that guy. Also the gm could intervene.

I know, but its also a world where winning is the only way you get a job. We're not trying to get a guy from  the Avalanche to come be our AGM.

I'm not saying this guy, or even most guys, would do anything bad or untoward, but if I'm the GM why give anyone the chance? Though I guess you're better off keeping him around and limiting his input than letting him go to the other team before the draft and telling them everything, so maybe that's it.

I know, but its also a world where winning is the only way you get a job. We're not trying to get a guy from the Avalanche to come be our AGM.

I'm not saying this guy, or even most guys, would do anything bad or untoward, but if I'm the GM why give anyone the chance? Though I guess you're better off keeping him around and limiting his input than letting him go to the other team before the draft and telling them everything, so maybe that's it.

Idk it is just unprofessional to screw your current team. I wouldn't hire a guy who was willing to do that. You owe your current team for helping you even get the opportunity with your next.

Idk it is just unprofessional to screw your current team. I wouldn't hire a guy who was willing to do that. You owe your current team for helping you even get the opportunity with your next.

Absolutely unprofessional! I'm not saying its a good idea to do it. I'm just saying that there is a measure of risk involved on the GM's part in having an employee with split loyalties. Botterill was one thing; his duties were done and he had nothing to do, really, before moving over to his new team. This guy is going to run your draft and then leave the next day for an opponent.

Heck, lets forget even PURPOSELY screwing your team. People are naturally going to be more lax their last day(s) on the job when they know they have something else lined up. He's going to be thinking about moving his family, thinking about his new duties with a new team in a new city, new bosses and employees. His mind is going to be split a bit.

I just think if I was a GM and the guy who ran my draft came in and said "Hey, sabills, I have this opportunity on X team and I think I'm going to take it" my answer would be "Sounds great Randy, best of luck, if you could stick around for a week or so to prep me and our team and leave your notes we'd appreciate it." then give myself the next month to prep.

Absolutely unprofessional! I'm not saying its a good idea to do it. I'm just saying that there is a measure of risk involved on the GM's part in having an employee with split loyalties. Botterill was one thing; his duties were done and he had nothing to do, really, before moving over to his new team. This guy is going to run your draft and then leave the next day for an opponent.

Heck, lets forget even PURPOSELY screwing your team. People are naturally going to be more lax their last day(s) on the job when they know they have something else lined up. He's going to be thinking about moving his family, thinking about his new duties with a new team in a new city, new bosses and employees. His mind is going to be split a bit.

I just think if I was a GM and the guy who ran my draft came in and said "Hey, sabills, I have this opportunity on X team and I think I'm going to take it" my answer would be "Sounds great Randy, best of luck, if you could stick around for a week or so to prep me and our team and leave your notes we'd appreciate it." then give myself the next month to prep.

Sounds way too reasonable, but this is the NHL. Depends maybe done with a hand shake and a nod to try and make good for both teams. Its a small circle, so likely both scenarios may work since the circumstances may be different and beneficial to both. Edited by North Buffalo

• 4 weeks later...

What did Steve Greeeeeeeeleeeeey do for the NYR?

Was the Assistant Director of Player Personnel for the Rags. He is 36 years old and was this Asst Coach at BU for two years. The second would have overlapped Jack's Time there.

Wonder is he will be Director of Player Personnel here?

Officially official

https://sabresdigitalpressbox.com/2017/06/26/sabres-hire-sexton-greeley-as-assistant-general-managers/

What did Steve Greeeeeeeeleeeeey do for the NYR?

Greeley comes to the Sabres after two seasons as the assistant director of player personnel with the New York Rangers. Before his tenure with the Rangers, Greeley spent two seasons as an associate coach at Boston University, where he played a vital role in the school’s recruiting process. Greeley also spent seven seasons (2006-07 to 2012-13) in the scouting department for the Los Angeles Kings and served as a regional scout for the U.S. National Team Development Program from 2009 to 2012.

Officially official

https://sabresdigitalpressbox.com/2017/06/26/sabres-hire-sexton-greeley-as-assistant-general-managers/

Greeley comes to the Sabres after two seasons as the assistant director of player personnel with the New York Rangers. Before his tenure with the Rangers, Greeley spent two seasons as an associate coach at Boston University, where he played a vital role in the school’s recruiting process. Greeley also spent seven seasons (2006-07 to 2012-13) in the scouting department for the Los Angeles Kings and served as a regional scout for the U.S. National Team Development Program from 2009 to 2012.

The Buffalo Sabres today announced that General Manager Jason Botterill has hired Randy Sexton and Steve Greeley to serve as the team’s assistant general managers. Sexton will also serve as general manager of the Rochester Americans (AHL).

“Randy and I developed a positive working relationship during our time in Pittsburgh and I think his experience and insight will be advantageous for our front office,” said Sabres General Manager Jason Botterill. “In Steve, we have hired a talented hockey executive who will offer unique insight to our organization. They both have experience at all levels of the game and we think they will be valuable assets for the Buffalo Sabres moving forward.”

Officially official

Mark Jakubowski, who has served as the Sabres’ assistant general manager since the 2014-15 season, will become the team’s vice president of hockey administration.

Sexton was on with ESPN Rochester for an interview they have interviewed one very qualified candidate for the Amerks. My bet is Chris Taylor.

He also mentioned even though he was running the Pens Draft, he kept an eye on the Sabres and likes what they did

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.