2017-18 lineup prediction (the Original Lineup Thread)

GASabresIUFAN

Plus Larsson is downright BAD at wing, whereas Zemgus probably plays better there.

Johan is a bottom six NHL center. Some may lean heavily towards #4, and that's fine, but he belongs. He is not an NHL winger.

I agree that he's terrible at wing. That's true for both leagues I've seen him play in. You may generous labeling him a bottom 6 NHL center though.

I agree that he's terrible at wing. That's true for both leagues I've seen him play in. You may generous labeling him a bottom 6 NHL center though.

I don't have a lot of numbers backing me up because of the team he played on and his injury, but for the vast majority of 15-16 he was a downright solid center of a 2-way line that could score at even strength. They handled heavy minutes well. 

He's a poor man's Hecht who actually plays center naturally. 

He's a poor man's Hecht who actually plays center naturally. 

With so little real game time on lousy teams, I'd say he's a homeless man's Hecht for now.

Remember, we all thought Girgensons was going to be special when he was getting #1 ice time on the worst team in the league.

It was Larson who was playing 2nd line centre minutes when Jack was out to start last year, was he not?

Sure he was weak offensively against most teams second lines, but he wasn't easy to play against and he survived.

He'll be all right at three and great four.

Given the amount of anger in this fan base, I'm kind of surprised so few identify with grumpy Larry.

What is the downside to spreading our six "best" forwards over three balanced lines — Jack/Pommers, ROR/KO, Sam/Evander?

Have Girgensons, Pouliot, Moulson and the Rochester four battle it out for the other three spots, with Grumpy Larry as the tenth forward.

What is the downside to spreading our six "best" forwards over three balanced lines — Jack/Pommers, ROR/KO, Sam/Evander?

Have Girgensons, Pouliot, Moulson and the Rochester four battle it out for the other three spots, with Grumpy Larry as the tenth forward.

I really like the idea of Sam centering Evander, even though I think the analytics say Eichel centering Evander was the most productive for both. I'd be curious to see the former, though.

I really like the idea of Sam centering Evander, even though I think the analytics say Eichel centering Evander was the most productive for both. I'd be curious to see the former, though.

Jack and Evander had a great scoring rate together but a ludicrously high GA/60, much higher than their GF/60, so I don't know that they're a good pair unless you have a good defensive winger on the other side and use them appropriately.

Interesting stats-based lineup prediction/analysis over at The Buffalo Star today, including links to supplemental reading for those who want to dig deeper. 

https://www.thebuffalostar.com/2017/09/what-the-numbers-say-about-buffalos-revised-roster/

That was a really good read. If that's the type of quality we get from The Buffalo Star, consider me on board.

Interesting that the style analysis say give Zemgus a shot on Eichel's wing. That and the placement of Reinhart as 3rd line center with Pouliot and Larrson (not sure about Larry at RW, but interesting nonetheless)

And if GIrgs wins, trade the latter!

Maybe, maybe not.  DDB slotted the players they way he thought best.  We have known for a while, his thinking isn't always the most insightful.  Let the new regime slot their players in the way they think best, then figure out how to best to allocate the leavings.

Maybe one silver lining coming out of the DDB era is that a lot of the players won't take their positions for granted under Housley.  DDB messed with the natural order of things enough that the players have seen how bad it can be, so hopefully they will be open to Housley's version of the lineup.

That was a really good read. If that's the type of quality we get from The Buffalo Star, consider me on board.

Interesting that the style analysis say give Zemgus a shot on Eichel's wing. That and the placement of Reinhart as 3rd line center with Pouliot and Larrson (not sure about Larry at RW, but interesting nonetheless)

Zemgus with Eichel is something I think a lot of us want to see tried out.

I think Reinhart and Larsson might switch off center duty on that third line. It could work.

I think this board underestimates the contributions that Johan Larsson made to this team last year before being injured.

Yup.

Dilution of scoring on the two lines that get the most ice time.