GDT: Arizona v. Buffalo, 3/2/17 at 7:05 MSG and WGR

That Aud Smell

I really don't want to lose him. Especially if the alternative is Girgs / Larsson at 3rd line center

Hey, I get it.  Sam is and will be a damn good player.

But my biggest fear right now is that we're headed towards being Edmonton- a team with a high-talent offense with no ability to possess the puck, stop an opposing offense, or hold a lead.

And from the perspective of the fans in ArizonaPhoenix, OEL has been a god.  The god.  The whole universe.  He's it.  It's only him.  So it's gonna take something special to crowbar OEL out of the desert... something like a 2nd overall selection who is developing quite nicely and is an RFA...

And I love how Risto plays.  I like how McCabe's been coming along.  But OEL is defenseman Jesus.  He would completely change the way our rear end operates.

edit: I mean PHX fans would say that OEL is untouchable until the end of time.  But the PHX front office, more than anything else and maybe more than anyone else, HATES spending money they don't have.  They could be convinced to part with OEL for literally the right difference in salary and comparable projected skill.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

Hey, I get it.  Sam is and will be a damn good player.

But my biggest fear right now is that we're headed towards being Edmonton- a team with a high-talent offense with no ability to possess the puck, stop an opposing offense, or hold a lead.

And from the perspective of the fans in ArizonaPhoenix, OEL has been a god.  The god.  The whole universe.  He's it.  It's only him.  So it's gonna take something special to crowbar OEL out of the desert... something like a 2nd overall selection who is developing quite nicely and is an RFA...

And I love how Risto plays.  I like how McCabe's been coming along.  But OEL is defenseman Jesus.  He would completely change the way our rear end operates.

No doubt I would love OEL. I'd be willing to move Kane +++ for him. But, I'm extremely hesitant to make huge, long term roster moves like that when 

a) Reinhart is clearly being misused, so we have no idea how good he actually is

b) Bylsma is a moron, who will likely just misuse OEL anyways too

You prioritize fixing the coaching flaws over the roster flaws because the you contend the coaching flaws are eclipsing the roster flaws.

I contend that the roster flaws eclipse the coaching flaws, and that the coaching flaws aren't fully known until we have a capable roster with more than 3 serviceable Dmen.

It's a bit chicken and egg.

But it's easier to make roster changes than coaching changes.  And OEL is defenseman Jesus.

You bunch of bloody heathens!  Sam's not on the trading block. 

GO STAND IN THE CORNER AND THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU JUST PROPOSED.

I just proposed the ol' #23-SWAP to make us a better team and I'd do it again.  EVEN KNOWING it took a a full season of tanking to get Reinahorn.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

You prioritize fixing the coaching flaws over the roster flaws because the you contend the coaching flaws are eclipsing the roster flaws.

I contend that the roster flaws eclipse the coaching flaws, and that the coaching flaws aren't fully known until we have a capable roster with more than 3 serviceable Dmen.

It's a bit chicken and egg.

But it's easier to make roster changes than coaching changes.  And OEL is defenseman Jesus.

Good points, but I contend a few things

It's much easier to make a coaching change than a roster change

There are numerous examples of poor rosters throughout the league, this year and in recent history, where a coach has played to the team's strengths and had an effective, modern gameplan that utilizes the team and gives them the best chance to win

I just proposed the ol' #23-SWAP to make us a better team and I'd do it again.  EVEN KNOWING it took a a full season of tanking to get Reinahorn.

You mean Finkle?

Any reason OEL has had a really down year?

Tippett points at production of the whole team, OEL cites minor injuries causing off games: http://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/coyotes/coyotes-must-not-waste-prime-of-oliver-ekman-larssons-career/

Ekman-Larsson’s point total is only 20th among NHL defensemen, but Tippett sees mitigating factors.

“Figure in the overall production of our team, too,” Tippett said. “Our overall production is down. With defensemen who get points, if your team is scoring less goals, everybody gets less points. You have to keep that all in perspective, too. It’s not just all on one guy.”

There is another thing Tippett won’t mention that warrants attention, too. Ekman-Larsson has battled injuries this season, one in particular that impacted his puck game and has only recently healed.

“I felt great in the beginning of the season,” he said. “I had a rough go for a little there, felt good again and then a couple rough ones again. That’s how it goes sometimes but I want to get to the point where I don’t have those minus-5 games or those minus-3 games.

“I’m all good now, but sometimes you’ve got to look around you a little bit, too, to realize where you’re at. I want to be a leader on this team, but I realize where we are. One guy can’t carry a team around; two guys can’t, so we have to put it together as a team.”

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.