Eichel Works with Adam Oates

That Aud Smell

Per Friedman in his 30 Things:

28. Eichel, a right-hand shot, likes to carry the puck in on the left side of the ice. He now works with Adam Oates, and Oates is trying to correct an Eichel habit of lifting his right hand on those plays, which obstructs his view. Once he gets that fixed, he will be even more dangerous, better equipped to pick up offensive-zone options.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-decision-galchenyuk-looms-canadiens/

I don't know enough about hockey. What's it look like when Eichel is lifting his right hand on those plays? Like - off of his stick? Moving it up the stick?

27. In 2013-14, a 15-year-old Auston Matthews was called up to the U.S. national under-18 team, which put him in the lineup with 16-year-old Jack Eichel. Danton Cole, who played 318 NHL games from 1989-90 to 1995-96, coached that team.

“The thing they had in common? They could both be driven,” he said last weekend. “They understood what it takes to be successful.” Eichel, asked about that, agreed. “I don’t mind being pushed. Neither did (Matthews).” Style-wise? “Similar,” Cole answered. “Eichel is more north-south, Matthews is more flamboyant. Both great players who wanted the puck and wanted to win.”

Cole added that Arizona’s Clayton Keller is another one unafraid of being pushed.

Well on friedmans 30 thoughts its said he is driven and don't minds being pushed, so I understand they would work on any flaw they can find.

Not the reaction I might expect to news that the team's franchise centre is getting extra help on becoming a better player.

And I'm sure it's one of several things they're working on.

Out of all the things he needs to be better on, where his hand is when he does that just seems like such an odd thing to focus on

Out of all the things he needs to be better on, where his hand is when he does that just seems like such an odd thing to focus on

I don't think Oates can necessarily come in and "work on," say, getting better in the d-zone. 

He's a freelance skills coach. This sort of stuff seems like exactly the sort of thing he'd be working on with a player.

Yeah, probably just one example of a myriad of things they're working on where they think he can get better.    And when are they having these clinics?   Can't be during the season?    Maybe he worked with him during the summer?   

Its a little weird, but its also a "simple" fix. "Hey, here's something you do thats a little wrong, do it this way instead." 

Is also probably not something his coaches are working on, unlike stuff like defensive awareness and faceoffs and such. This is a skiilled player to skilled player instruction.

Edited by sabills

And when are they having these clinics?   Can't be during the season?    Maybe he worked with him during the summer?   

Its a little weird, but its also a "simple" fix. "Hey, here's something you do thats a little wrong, do it this way instead." 

Is also probably not something his coaches are working on, unlike stuff like defensive awareness and faceoffs and such. This is a skiilled player to skilled player instruction.

I wonder whether Oates might also be sending video files to Eichel during the season, having a call or face-time or whatever while they review the video file together.

What an absurdly specific thing to be working on

But that's kind of the point of 1-on-1 skills coaching. At this level, tweaks to what they're doing is where improvement will come.

I'd be real interested in what sort of drills Oates is running to get Jack to make that adjustment.

Not Woods and Terry Murray so much, but I would hope it is the kind of thing Cunneyworth and the rest of the player development crew are pursuing.

Is this anything like Cony Hotdog and his infamous workouts  with Gary Roberts? Those definitely paid off.

I can't see this being comparable. Oates is playing the outside skills coach role, which is pretty normal. Roberts was all about diet and fitness, which was never going to help Corky Hamwater be a better hockey player. 

I can't see this being comparable. Oates is playing the outside skills coach role, which is pretty normal. Roberts was all about diet and fitness, which was never going to help Corky Hamwater be a better hockey player. 

Have you used Corky Hamwater before? If not its a shame you waited for it.

Have you used Corky Hamwater before? If not its a shame you waited for it.

It is glorious.

When you're elite you're elite because you've mastered every conceivable aspect of the game. That hair of peripheral vision gained here is the difference between a no-look pass going to the tape of his winger or not. 

Or maybe making the pass at all?

Edited by That Aud Smell

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.