Sabres @ Senators 7:30 PM MSG 2/14/17

Mustache of God

Few things I didn't see in the thread.

The Sabres were a mess to finish the second, but for the first dozen minutes or so we saw them shut the Sens down, through a combination of boxing them out well in our zone and cycling well in theirs. It wasn't exciting but it was effective. I believe we held them to three shots.

There's a reason the Sens fans were booing in their team late. They got shots but they didn't really threaten. They couldn't keep us pinned. If we were in Alamo mode, it was good Alamo mode.

Neither of these things should be big deals, but they aren't things we've seen much from this team.

The players sure didn't seem like they had anything but warm feelings for Lehner in the end-game celebrations. Nothing but positive body language there, especially with Jack, even with his bloody nose. Yesterday's drama, at first blush, looks more like a clearing of the air than the beginning of a collapse.

Edited by dudacek

The Sabres were a mess to finish the second, but for the first dozen minutes or so we saw them shut the Sens down, through a combination of boxing them out well in our zone and cycling well in theirs. It wasn't exciting but it was effective. I believe we held them to three shots.

There's a reason the Sens fans were booing in their team late. They got shots but they didn't really threaten. They couldn't keep us pinned. If we were in Alamo mode, it was good Alamo mode.

Neither of these things should be big deals, but they aren't things we've seen much from this team.

The players sure didn't seem like they had anything but warm feelings for Lehner in the end-game celebrations. Nothing but positive body language there, especially with Jack, even with his bloody nose. Yesterday's drama, at first blush, looks more like a clearing of the air than the beginning of a collapse.

All of this is great but I love the last part.

From hfboards, not only were we out-shot-attempted 84-48, but we were leading that category 34 minutes into the game.

We certainly go into shells, but when we're tired and go into shells, man.

Winning like this isn't sustainable. I'm amazed it's even successful 50% of the time

Expanding on a couple things that were in the thread.

When the Sabres drafted Justin Bailey the word was he had great tools, but was very raw. The scouts said he was going to take a while.

And every year he got better. He'd move up a level and struggle and then find himself, and then start to have an impact. And then he'd move up and repeat the process.

The kid just keeps plugging away. And he does have tools. I think he's going to be good one.

When I saw Justin Falk in training camp, I said I never wanted to see him in blue and gold for an NHL game.

I was wrong. The guy is what we wanted Mike Weber to be and what Josh Gorges should have been had he been used properly - a tough, honest, depth defenceman who understands his limitations and plays as well as he can within them.

We could do a lot worse as a 6/7.

Edited by dudacek

Don't read too much into it.  It was the Senators.  The Senators are our .

I'll say it again:  Picking up Falk and Fedun was a great depth move by GMTM.  As much as we complain about the D, think about how much worse this team would be without those two signings.

Expanding on a couple things that were in the threat.

When the Sabres drafted Justin Bailey the word was he had great tools, but was very raw. The scouts said he was going to take a while.

And every year he got better. He'd move up a level and struggle and then find himself, and then start to have an impact. And then he'd move up and repeat the process.

The kid just keeps plugging away. And he does have tools. I think he's going to be good one.

When I saw Justin Falk in training camp, I said I never wanted to see him in blue and gold for an NHL game.

I was wrong. The guy is what we wanted Mike Weber to be and what Josh Gorges should have been had he been used properly - a tough, honest, depth defenceman who understands his limitations and plays as well as he can within them.

I think I like Bailey better than Fasching now

I like Falk

I will say this about tonight's game against Ottawa:  Eichel played perhaps the most responsible game I've seen in a long time.  He made smart plays defensively.  He didn't try to do it all, every rush.  He passed up the ice when it was the smart thing to do.  You could tell on the Moulson goal he wanted to cut in front of the net and shoot himself, but when he realized that wasn't happening he chipped it into a spot where Reinhart could pick it up and do something with it.  There was less of the Eichel flash, but he was a more effective player because there were also fewer -ups.

Fasching is just behind Bailey on learning curve... I want both guys up with Rodriguez next year and Carrier - goodbye Molson, Enis, and put DLo as a sub when needed. Fasching can wait and who knows what deadline reveals. Feeling better about O, now just need some better D at 3-4 spot.

Edited by North Buffalo

Watch the Reinhart-switched-to-Moulson goal again.. didn't Sam roof that? Looks to me like it hit the roof of the net (which is over the line obviously) and then down. Give Sam his goal!!

https://twitter.com/buffalosabres/status/831693740955824130

looked like that to me that night. Moulsons last two goals have traveled 2 inches total.

Watch the Reinhart-switched-to-Moulson goal again.. didn't Sam roof that? Looks to me like it hit the roof of the net (which is over the line obviously) and then down. Give Sam his goal!!

https://twitter.com/buffalosabres/status/831693740955824130

In the overhead view, it was an inch or two in front of the net.  In fact I don't think it goes in unless Moulson gets it.

Check out the video, starting at about 50 seconds:

https://www.nhl.com/video/moulson-jabs-home-loose-puck/t-283344302/c-49434603

Out of those last two goals, one (Gionta's shot) would have gone in anyway (and I think it was in before Moulson got it, but whatever), but the second one looks like it was not going in before Moulson got to it.  He's got skill, and if he can get himself to the right locations he should be able to chip in.  Gionta's managed to resurrect himself up to a useful state; maybe Moulson can too.

In the overhead view, it was an inch or two in front of the net. In fact I don't think it goes in unless Moulson gets it.

Check out the video, starting at about 50 seconds:

https://www.nhl.com/video/moulson-jabs-home-loose-puck/t-283344302/c-49434603

Crazy, I stand corrected! From the gif angle, I could have sworn the puck disappears behind the crossbar. But it clearly was on the outside of the bar. Have a goal, Matt, have a goal.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.