Buffalo Bills 2017-18

WildCard

Undisciplined is the most overused explanation when discussing penalties. Teams become good when they don't have to think. Teams make mistakes when they are learning a new system or being put into situations they are unfamiliar with. That's a much more likely explanation unless your only agenda is to dismiss coach and GM cause you didn't like the hiring process.

Penalties as a whole are terribly overrated anyway. The best teams in the league usually lead the league in them.

There are different types of penalties. New England and Seattle are masters at being aggressive and only getting a call against them now and then but otherwise changing the complexion of the game. Now not lining up correctly or jumping offsides are absolutely a sign of a bad team. Bad teams beat themselves.

It happens all the time. When the Bills were good people would scream about how bad they were in preseason and how it would effect them when the season started. Marv Levy had the best September record in spite of that.

I really don't have the time or desire to go and find recent examples but you can look up teams that have killer pre-season records that translate into nothing and vice versa.

It means absolutely nothing.

The Levy era was almost 30 years ago. For the last 20 years the Bills have looked bad in preseason and played poorly when the season started.

For the post-Levy Bills, preseason has proven to be an excellent indicator on how the season will go.

Brandon had a hand in the last two coaches hired before McDermott. I don't have any information on the McD situation but it is evident that the Pegulas were listening to someone for advice because McD's name "jumped out at them" before they ever met him! Brandon was also involved in the GM "search" this year.

First that's an incredible leap and incorrect.

Second, his only role with respect to Beane was to give his opinion after he was on a short list.

I know it won't matter but I'm going to say this. The Pegulla's very much wanted these two hires to be right and consulted several owners before having a list put together. There is no way of knowing how it will turn out but history shows us there is little to know correlation between past success ir experience and future success. You got guys like Mike Tomlin coming out of nowhere, Bill Belichek coming off of a first time failure and you have Andy Reid seemingly reliving his past success. As someone who has had to interview and hire people I can tell you that you usually know the minute you talk to the right person.

One thing that looks encouraging to me is the incredible front office staff that they put together.

Time will tell but the only certainty is that the past three games have nothing to do with predicting future results.

The Levy era was almost 30 years ago. For the last 20 years the Bills have looked bad in preseason and played poorly when the season started.

For the post-Levy Bills, preseason has proven to be an excellent indicator on how the season will go.

Actually, the Bills have started several of the past 20 seasons very well. The finish, not do much.

In 2009 under coach Dick Jauron Turk Schonert was the offensive coordinator. And his pre-season offense was so bad he got fired before the year started.

Through first 3 games, Schonert's Bills averaged 22 points a game.

Through the first 3 games, Dennison's Bills have averaged 11.66 points a game.

:w00t:

There are different types of penalties. New England and Seattle are masters at being aggressive and only getting a call against them now and then but otherwise changing the complexion of the game. Now not lining up correctly or jumping offsides are absolutely a sign of a bad team. Bad teams beat themselves.

Can't argue with any of that except that there are several levels of bad. Some are bad and learning, others over their head but I stll maintain that none are undisciplined.

In 2009 under coach Dick Jauron Turk Schonert was the offensive coordinator. And his pre-season offense was so bad he got fired before the year started.

Through first 3 games, Schonert's Bills averaged 22 points a game.

Through the first 3 games, Dennison's Bills have averaged 11.66 points a game.

:w00t:

Check how and when all those points were scored before hanging your hat on that stat.

Also, the team did score 57 points in their first two regular season games despite the first team offense doing nothin in preseason.

It happens all the time. When the Bills were good people would scream about how bad they were in preseason and how it would effect them when the season started. Marv Levy had the best September record in spite of that.

I really don't have the time or desire to go and find recent examples but you can look up teams that have killer pre-season records that translate into nothing and vice versa.

It means absolutely nothing.

Can't recall it being like that (people bitching about the preseaon except '90 they definitely were coming off the "bickering Bills" & Marchibroda not showing the K-Gun until week 1 vs Indy), but wasn't in WNY during most of the Levy era so maybe they did.

My memory was that the 1's would usually be winning when they were pulled and they were usually pulled early (training camp / preseason was "Club Marv") & then the 2's, 3's, & 4's got fairly well thumped by the other guys' 1's - 4's.

Agree that typically preseason means nothing. Also, recall reading that the 0-16 Lions ran the table in preseason that year.

I'm not even considering win loss record in preseason - that is immaterial.  Teams that go 4-0 in preseason have sucked in regular season, and vice versa.

However, the Bills demonstrate a continued, chronic inability to put points on the board.   

Look at the top ten teams in average points per game in the pre-season - they're mostly the top teams from the 2016 season.  

And down in the sewer with the Bills... the Browns... the Jets....    

Just not seeing any glimmers of hope in this pre-season that there's been any tangible improvement.    

I'm not even considering win loss record in preseason - that is immaterial. Teams that go 4-0 in preseason have sucked in regular season, and vice versa.

However, the Bills demonstrate a continued, chronic inability to put points on the board.

Look at the top ten teams in average points per game in the pre-season - they're mostly the top teams from the 2016 season.

And down in the sewer with the Bills... the Browns... the Jets....

Just not seeing any glimmers of hope in this pre-season that there's been any tangible improvement.

The Bills were 10th in the league on scoring last year, but yeah, chronic inability works.

Sean McDermott's football philosophy reminds me of Dick Jauron. Bend then break D paired with a group of offensive coaches who don't belong in the NFL.

He's got a lot to prove and I don't think anything good will come of this year minus the probability of drafting a QB high.

Bills trade Ragaland to the Chiefs for a 4th

Would've hoped to get a conditional 3rd for him, but at least they get something for a guy that doesn't fit the scheme. So tired of them switching schemes every 2-3 years as they have to punt guys that had been useful & draft for newly created needs. Whether McDermott sticks or not, stick w/ the friggin' 4-3.

Note: not saying Ragland was useful, but had he been healthy he should've been last year.

Would've hoped to get a conditional 3rd for him, but at least they get something for a guy that doesn't fit the scheme. So tired of them switching schemes every 2-3 years as they have to punt guys that had been useful & draft for newly created needs. Whether McDermott sticks or not, stick w/ the friggin' 4-3.

Note: not saying Ragland was useful, but had he been healthy he should've been last year.

Really disappointed with the return, but it's better than nothing I guess

I guess you can either see this as "cleaning out players that don't fit of don't want to be there regardless of the impact this season" if you generous. If not, it's almost looking like "get rid of assets now with an eye towards drafts in the future"; you may recognize this from the Sabres, 2013-15.

@fieldyates

Source: with Tyrod Taylor and T.J. Yates dealing with concussions, the Bills are signing QB Keith Wenning. Familiar with OC Rick Dennison.

@mikerodak

The Bills are signing QB Keith Wenning, source tells ESPN NFL Insider Field Yates. Wenning, 26, was most recently with the Giants this spring. He was coached in 2014 by then-Ravens QBs coach Rick Dennison, now the Bills' offensive coordinator. He becomes the fourth quarterback on the Bills' depth chart but could see significant playing time in Thursday's preseason finale with Tyrod Taylor and T.J. Yates both out with concussions.