Sabres Showdown 2

pi2000

Who wins?

Who cares?

O'Reilly beat out Foligno in the first matchup. Foligno clocked a 100mph clapper, and O'Reilly went 4 for 4 in the accuracy contest in 8.3s. Impressive... but Foligno is still dust tho, couldn't even get a shot off in the breakaway challenge.

O'Reilly was impressive in the accuracy portion.  I seem to remember that during the NHL one, they said that only three players had gone 4-for-4 at an All-Star game.  Obviously, more have done it at team competitions, but it's still hard to do.  What was possibly more impressive was that Foligno went 3-for-3 - looked like he missed just low on the upper-right target - and finished 4-for-5.  For a guy not known for his hands, that was a nice round.

Jack should take the next matchup, but you never know.  McCabe may have the edge in the hardest shot, but Jack does use a relative long stick for a forward and has a hard shot, so I wouldn't count on it.  Jack better take the accuracy with ease.  I wish I could say that Jack is good in shootouts, but he hasn't shown it yet.  Jake is a relative unknown there.

Edited by carpandean

O'Reilly was impressive in the accuracy portion.  I seem to remember that during the NHL one, they said that only three players had gone 4-for-4 at an All-Star game.  Obviously, more have done it at team competitions, but it's still hard to do.  What was possibly more impressive was that Foligno went 3-for-3 - looked like he missed just low on the upper-right target - and finished 4-for-5.  For a guy not known for his hands, that was a nice round.

Jack should take the next matchup, but you never know.  McCabe may have the edge in the hardest shot, but Jack does use a relative long stick for a forward and has a hard shot, so I wouldn't count on it.  Jack better take the accuracy with ease.  I wish I could say that Jack is good in shootouts, but he hasn't shown it yet.  Jake is a relative unknown there.

Really doubt that's true as the reason given for timing the competition was too many guys were going 4 for 4.

Jack is hysterical in these things. All of the chirping is gold.

"Is that Reesto's stick?"

"Do it in a game, 90!"

I wish Jack would stop mailing it in, though. A clapper in the accuracy contest? 

It's just a big joke to him.   I question his competitiveness at times... he mails it in some shifts too and it's noticeable, always the first off the ice on a line change it seems too.   

It's just a big joke to him.   I question his competitiveness at times... he mails it in some shifts too and it's noticeable, always the first off the ice on a line change it seems too.   

I think his on-ice competitiveness has improved recently, especially off the puck. He'll get there.

I'm definitely not going to hold taking this competition lightly against him.

I think his on-ice competitiveness has improved recently, especially off the puck. He'll get there.

I'm definitely not going to hold taking this competition lightly against him.

I won't hold it against him either, but this showdown thing is for the fans to showcase players talents.     They try on the accuracy and hardest shot contest, but the breakaway challenge is just dumb... Biron?  really?   They could score everytime if they really wanted to.    Maybe do a timed stickhandling drill or passing into the mini-nets maybe?

Anyway, back to Eichel, yes, I see his an improvement in his effort level away from the puck, but he has lapses where he just doesn't look interested, or frustrated, or completely lost in his own end... he'll be out there for 20-30s then casually skate to the bench for a line change with body language that says "I give up, this is just too much" while the rest of his linemates are finishing the shift.

Edited by pi2000

Eichel is very competitive, he's just immature.

I don't mean that as an insult, just in its most basic definition: not yet mature.

He's barely 20 and approaches life like a lot of people his age.

23, still approach it like that. Why not? We're all just kids faking adulting anyways

I agree that Eichel is a bit immature. Nothing wrong with that.

In fact, I'll posit that it's better that he's like that -- he's real -- not some carefully managed brand (*cough*McDavid*cough*).

Loved Jack's chirp tonight- "Here comes Gionta in his size 5.5 skate."

Jack wearing the Bills helmet :lol:

He's also a super enjoyable personality.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.