Keep or Trade Evander Kane

WildCard

Keep or Trade   

132 members have voted

1. 1. Answer it

• Keep
    • Trade

I have never been in the trade Kane camp, atleast not during the season, but something that could add a bit fuel is Ducks lost tonight to Florida, now losers 5 of their last 7 games and offense has gone stall. If they think they want to contend for the cup they may need to trade one of their d-men and add some scoring spark to their team. I'm still not on board to trading Kane, but the offers may intensify if someone with real assets, like the Ducks, get desperate.

People need to start looking at the Kane situation rationally. Put aside the trade scenarios (including my fun time) that are pipe dreams.

Start thinking about the team.

Risto needs help, desperately. Forget the RHD for McCabe and the second pairing for a moment. Risto needs real help, and you all know it. You all watch the games, we have all watched as he gets burned out.

Kane is a real opportunity to address that. I don't know who or what that type of deal would look like, but each of you know he's the value that could seal a deal.

If a partner for Risto can be had by moving Kane, you do it and don't think twice about it. You all know, even the die hard keep Kane fans, that I speak the truth.

As good as the Ducks have been at collecting defenceman, they haven't done a great job up front.

Last year's picks notwithstanding, the only forward they've picked with any promise Recently is Ritchie. Rackell and Palmieri are the only forwards who have had any kind of success going back to Bobby Ryan.

I think guys like Bailey and Girgensons and Nylander for guys like Karlsson and MAnson and Theodore is where there is a deal to be made: strength for strength, age for age contract for contract. If you are talking Kane, you need to talk Fowler or Vatanen for the same reasons. Flavour it however you want with picks and salary dumps.

Edited by dudacek

The problem isn't that Risto doesn't have a partner the problem is depth in that there isn't a decent 5/6 pair to be had on this team. If you improved the depth there wouldn't be as much of a burden on the top pair all the time. Kane is too valuable to be used in a trade for a pair of 3-6 D-men.

The problem isn't that Risto doesn't have a partner the problem is depth in that there isn't a decent 5/6 pair to be had on this team. If you improved the depth there wouldn't be as much of a burden on the top pair all the time. Kane is too valuable to be used in a trade for a pair of 3-6 D-men.

No one is advocating that Kane be used in such a manner.

The truth is right there, for all to see. And you have seen it. Risto needs help, it's been stated repeatedly and it is correct.

The truth is right there, for all to see. And you have seen it. Risto needs help, it's been stated repeatedly and it is correct.

Of course he needs help. Not first line help, depth help. You can address depth without dealing Kane. 

I'm a huge fan of Tim Murray, I'm a huge fan of Evander Kane and wanted him long before we got him...if GMTM trades Kane, I'll lose a lot of faith in him as our GM.

We have a lot of young depth at forward, use some of that and draft picks to get a young defenseman, not our best scoring winger who does everything for this team.

Eichel, Reinhart, O'Reilly, Okposo and Kane should all be the forward core you build around...add Nylander and that's your top-6 for the next bunch of years.

Kane (25) - O'Reilly (26) - Okposo (28)
Nylander (18) - Eichel (20) - Reinhart (21)

You'd have Foligno, Girgensons, Larsson, Ennis, Bailey, Baptiste, Carrier, Fasching and Rodrigues to build a bottom-6 or deal in a trade...plus our draft picks, including an extra 2nd and extra 3rd.

And there's kids like Asplund, Pu, Estephan and Malone to use either way as well...plus 2nd round picks in Hurley, Cornel and Karabacek.***

Trading Evander Kane would be a massive mistake...he's everything we hoped we always had, and everything we hoped we got when we acquired him.

***(You never know what someone sees in one of those 2nd round kids, like GMTM saw in a 4th round pick like Hudson Fasching...someone could want one of those kids.)

Edited by Dank Dangleson

So does Jack.  As evidenced by the scoring load Kane has supplied during this last couple of months.  Without Kane this team's offense is going nowhere.

So does Jack.  As evidenced by the scoring load Kane has supplied during this last couple of months.  Without Kane this team's offense is going nowhere.

You guys nailed it. 

Jack, and every other player on the team, would also be helped by a mobile defense that can carry the puck and make the first pass going the other way.

What's the best decision to make the Sabres the better team two years from now?  Maybe it's having Kane on the team and under contract for 7 years at ~$7M/season.  Or maybe we can make a trade that rebuilds our defense so that we're actually a balanced team.

For 2018-2019, we'll have big contracts for ROR, Okposo, Risto, and substantial pay raises for Eichel and Reinhart, plus we'll still have $15M tied up in Ennis, Moulson, and Bogo.  We'd have to find a way to make it all work with our salary cap AND still have some flexibility to make other moves.

Jack, and every other player on the team, would also be helped by a mobile defense that can carry the puck and make the first pass going the other way.

What's the best decision to make the Sabres the better team two years from now?  Maybe it's having Kane on the team and under contract for 7 years at ~$7M/season.  Or maybe we can make a trade that rebuilds our defense so that we're actually a balanced team.

For 2018-2019, we'll have big contracts for ROR, Okposo, Risto, and substantial pay raises for Eichel and Reinhart, plus we'll still have $15M tied up in Ennis, Moulson, and Bogo.  We'd have to find a way to make it all work with our salary cap AND still have some flexibility to make other moves.

And this is what separates the good GM's from the bad ones.  I've supported Murray's decisions.  This is THE test though.  The one that will determine if he was a good hire.  There were and still are people that disliked Murray making a trade for Lehner.  Right now Murray is saying told ya so.  I think he'll pull it off and have a true, long standing contender.  In Murray I trust....

And this is what separates the good GM's from the bad ones. I've supported Murray's decisions. This is THE test though. The one that will determine if he was a good hire. There were and still are people that disliked Murray making a trade for Lehner. Right now Murray is saying told ya so. I think he'll pull it off and have a true, long standing contender. In Murray I trust....

Players go through stretches of good and bad. I do agree with in that defense is frustrating this team.

But as others have pointed out, 0 depth is all bad, and as I have pointed out (along with many others), not addressing the issue and letting it try to play out for self or internal improvement is most certainly taking its toll on Risto, the stud defenseman.

While Kane scores, and yes scoring was a prime issue early season, he also brings the value necessary to address this.

Edited by Lucky E

Most important - and frequently overlooked - quality in a defenceman is the ability to stay strong against top forwards for 24 minutes a night. That's why Adam Larsson is worth more than Tyson Barrie, and Duncan Keith and Drew Doughty are elite even when many can match their offence,

Edited by dudacek

Most important - and frequently overlooked - quality in a defenceman is the ability to stay strong against top forwards for 24 minutes a night. That's why Adam Larsson is worth more than Tyson Barrie, and Duncan Keith and Drew Doughty are elite even when many can match their offence,

Barrie was just placed on waivers.

Edited by Eleven

If GMTM wants to trade his leading goal scorer, fine, but that would be foolish.

Not to mention one of the only players who can score 5 on 5...

He leads the NHL since December on 5 on 5 goals...who the hell trades THAT player when the rest of the team only scores on PP's??  The dude is 25 years old...he is still young and can be a part of the team's core moving forward...

Edited by matter2003

Exactly. Trading from an area of strength for weakness definitely makes perfect sense. But you don't trade your top goal scorer.

And that's just it, it's not an area of strength yet. Just two months ago this team was dead last in scoring so trading what little you have contributing to one of your weaknesses.......... to address another weakness, makes no sense. That's what I wish some here would understand. They will get better, this will be a high scoring team. But until then you have to address the defense situation in other ways. 

And that's just it, it's not an area of strength yet. Just two months ago this team was dead last in scoring so trading what little you have contributing to one of your weaknesses.......... to address another weakness, makes no sense. That's what I wish some here would understand. They will get better, this will be a high scoring team. But until then you have to address the defense situation in other ways.

How?

You have to give to get. What other ammo do you see in the ammo locker that achieves the desired goal?

Trade the RW pipeline? Meaning Bailey, Baptiste or Fasching? Cause were empty on the left.

How?

You have to give to get. What other ammo do you see in the ammo locker that achieves the desired goal?

Trade the RW pipeline? Meaning Bailey, Baptiste or Fasching? Cause were empty on the left.

I've already told you how. And I've mentioned it in this thread. You agreed to disagree. 

You don't trade one of the few strengths you have in what is overall still a weakness, to address another weakness that's not as weak as you think it is. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.