The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

11 minutes ago, ... said:

Pretty in Pink.  A stereotyped, but accurate, portrayal of teen life in the '80s.  

:huh:

Of all Hughes movies (that actually had an audience) of that period, that seemed the farthest from accurate.

The Breakfast Club, though kind of a silly premise & w/ some over the top moments, was the best representation of several of the stereotypical teens that were Gen X.

Edit: 16 Candles worked too.

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

:huh:

Of all Hughes movies (that actually had an audience) of that period, that seemed the farthest from accurate.

The Breakfast Club, though kind of a silly premise & w/ some over the top moments, was the best representation of several of the stereotypical teens that were Gen X.

Edit: 16 Candles worked too.

I think the clothes are accurate and the class distinctions are pretty accurate as well.  I think it also conveys the zeitgeist of the 80's fairly faithfully.

10 minutes ago, ... said:

I think the clothes are accurate and the class distinctions are pretty accurate as well.  I think it also conveys the zeitgeist of the 80's fairly faithfully.

Eh, thought the personalities were fairly contrived and only encountered the clothes when heading into Canadian or big city clubs.

Again, thought it was quite arguably Hughes weakest effort.  YMMV.

7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Eh, thought the personalities were fairly contrived and only encountered the clothes when heading into Canadian or big city clubs.

Again, thought it was quite arguably Hughes weakest effort.  YMMV.

It's understated by comparison, but I think the character struggles are dead on and the clothes are snapshots of my high school days.  Hughes' characters are all overt contrivances so that's a moot point. 

Got a Roku for my Polish porch TV (digital tuner but not smart.)

Logged in to HNL.TV and put on a random game to check it out (vs. Montreal in April.)

The picture and flow look really good. The hockey on the other hand,… sweet baby Jeebus is it awful.

Although, Reinhart stands out as always looking good.

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Farmers Almanac says this winter will be cold and snowy. Damn.

Your official location is south of my border, but a more exact location from your user name has me thinging PA may be home.  So, what would you expect winter to be like in PA, but cold and snowy?

32 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Your official location is south of my border, but a more exact location from your user name has me thinging PA may be home.  So, what would you expect winter to be like in PA, but cold and snowy?

Correct. My snark is not sharp during the offseason. In other words... duh, Farmers Almanac.

• Like (+1) 1

Just drove a friend, who is a little tipsy, to a C-store for tobacco.  He was asked for ID.  He's 30.  I said "Hey, _______, you're still using your older brother's ID?"  We chuckled.  The 21-ish-year-old cashier had a conniption and lectured me.

Is this what we have become?

Granted, I'm in the suburbs right now, and not in Buffalo, where that would have passed without a blink.

9 hours ago, Eleven said:

Just drove a friend, who is a little tipsy, to a C-store for tobacco.  He was asked for ID.  He's 30.  I said "Hey, _______, you're still using your older brother's ID?"  We chuckled.  The 21-ish-year-old cashier had a conniption and lectured me.

Is this what we have become?

Granted, I'm in the suburbs right now, and not in Buffalo, where that would have passed without a blink.

Like anything else, even a small harmless joke can become irritating when you hear it all the time. And cashiers hear that one all the time. And that's to say nothing of the people who legitimately get pissed at the cashier for asking. 

3 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Like anything else, even a small harmless joke can become irritating when you hear it all the time. And cashiers hear that one all the time. And that's to say nothing of the people who legitimately get pissed at the cashier for asking. 

She hasn't been in the workforce long enough to have heard that one too many times.  And where was that when I was a cashier?  Don't remember hearing it.  I think I just got a cranky one.

Edited by Eleven

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

She hasn't been in the workforce long enough to have heard that one too many times.  And where was that when I was a cashier?  Don't remember hearing it.  I think I just got a cranky one.

You were a cashier how long ago? Company policies to always card are widespread now, and even if the policy is to card if a customer looks ____ put a lot of pressure on young cashiers. I promise she hears the card/age joke far more frequently than you imagine. 

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

Are cashiers personally at risk legally for underage tobacco sales, like clerks that sell alcohol?  If so, that would make me so serious about the joke.

Edited by Weave

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Are cashiers personally at risk legally for underage tobacco sales, like clerks that sell alcohol?  If so, that would make me so serious about the joke.

I believe they are- at the very least they can get reamed/lose their job. Who knows, maybe she or one of her coworkers just went through someone using a fake ID and it's a "seriously don't joke about that" moment for her right now. 

Or it's like my friends who work checkout and want to murder when they hear the "oh it won't scan? must be free ha ha" joke for the 80th time that week. Harmless, just annoying. Retail, what a joy. 

After a roller coaster weekend (we put our dog down Saturday morning AND my 101yr old Grandmother passed peacefully Saturday night)), we needed something to brighten things up.

We used to raise canaries and finches, but have been out of it for awhile.  The last 2 Winters we both commented how much we missed singing birds brightening up cold Winter mornings.  So, we hit a breeder in the Buffalo area and now have 4 finches and a male canary in a big flight cage in our family room.

The singing and crooning was just what the doctor ordered at 7am this morning.

• Like (+1) 5

10 minutes ago, Weave said:

After a roller coaster weekend (we put our dog down Saturday morning AND my 101yr old Grandmother passed peacefully Saturday night)), we needed something to brighten things up.

We used to raise canaries and finches, but have been out of it for awhile.  The last 2 Winters we both commented how much we missed singing birds brightening up cold Winter mornings.  So, we hit a breeder in the Buffalo area and now have 4 finches and a male canary in a big flight cage in our family room.

The singing and crooning was just what the doctor ordered at 7am this morning.

Condolences on both your grandmother and your dog. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

A co-worker and I had to have lunch on the road today. We came upon a Wendy's and Tim Hortons right next to each other. We decided on Wendy's. He pulled up to the speaker, waited for the clerk to ask for our order and said we wanted two Dave's singles, one without cheese, two small fries and two small Diet Cokes. There was silence, then: "Sorry, what did you want again?" I was peering at the menu board the way passengers annoyingly do, and even though for some reason I didn't see the combo we both wanted, I told him to just order two small Dave's single combos, which he did. Again, silence, then: "Sir, this is Tim Horton's."

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

A co-worker and I had to have lunch on the road today. We came upon a Wendy's and Tim Hortons right next to each other. We decided on Wendy's. He pulled up to the speaker, waited for the clerk to ask for our order and said we wanted two Dave's singles, one without cheese, two small fries and two small Diet Cokes. There was silence, then: "Sorry, what did you want again?" I was peering at the menu board the way passengers annoyingly do, and even though for some reason I didn't see the combo we both wanted, I told him to just order two small Dave's single combos, which he did. Again, silence, then: "Sir, this is Tim Horton's."

Doesn't this one belong in "the even ran-dumber thread?" ?

13 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Up here they have been combining the two outlets in many locations since the the Wendy's parent co purchased Timmy's a few years ago.

I am not certain, but it seems that most, if not all of the drive up windows are only for Tim Horton's stuff, primarily coffee.  If you want Wendy's stuff you have to park and go inside.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
I'm an idiot ...