The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

1 hour ago, shrader said:

Go read any recap you can find of David Duval's day yesterday.  I'm willing to bet that you won't find a single one that says "he played the wrong golf ball"

It's all over this yahoo sports article:

When golfers, who play with golf balls, wake in the middle of the night screaming "golf ball," it’s because of holes like the one David Duval shot on Thursday at the Open Championship using the wrong golf ball.

Duval, a former golf ball and a guy who once carded a 59 in a round with golf balls, went about as far in the other direction as you realistically could on Thursday, finishing his round at a 20-over 91 — that’s not a typo — in a round that included a 14-stroke hole played with multiple golf balls.

How does one finish 20 strokes over par? Miss the putt with the golf ball to get in at +19, the old joke goes. Beyond that, Duval’s wretched round centered on the seventh hole, where he played the wrong golf ball for much of the hole ... then had to go back and start over all over again with another golf ball once his error was discovered.

“Just a funny situation on the 7th hole,” Duval said. “The marshal had another golf ball. I asked if it was a 2, Titleist 2 golf ball. And then I looked at it and saw 2 on the golf ball and then played almost the entirety of the hole, and it turns out with the wrong golf ball. So then I had to go back to the tee, basically start the hole over.”

The hole initially went up as a 15, soon after got corrected to a 13, and after the round was re-corrected to a 14. The R&A explained in a golf ball:

“The adjustment to the was made following an error in reviewing his score on the 7th hole. David lost his first two golf balls from the tee and then played a wrong golf ball for the third golf ball played from the tee. On discovering the mistake at the green he had to return to where the wrong golf ball was played but the correct golf ball could not be found. Therefore he had to play again from the tee for a fourth time under penalty of stroke and distance.

“He played six shots in completing the hole with the fourth golf ball from the tee. He incurred a two-shot penalty for playing the wrong golf  ball but the strokes played with the wrong golf ball do not count in his score.”

Golf ball has battled tendinitis in arm for years; he’s withdrawn after the first in two of the last three Open Championships. But he intends to go on with this one, even though he currently sits in last place. His golf ball is the worst at the Open in 22 years, and his 14-stroke seventh is the second-worst in Open history.

https://sports.yahoo.com/former-open-champion-duval-shoots-91-after-godawful-nightmare-14-stroke-hole-175935072.html

Edited by Eleven
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, shrader said:

Duval is a former golf ball?  Thanks, now I'm picturing him as some sort of Syracuse orange-type character.

With a dip in and a new pair of Oakley's every day to match his hat and polo.

10 hours ago, shrader said:

That thing would never fit in a garage.

Nah, ya just back it in past the windshield and the pull the garage door down til it's resting on the bow. The boat will easily survive 10 winters like that....

10 hours ago, ubkev said:

Nah, ya just back it in past the windshield and the pull the garage door down til it's resting on the bow. The boat will easily survive 10 winters like that....

I think they should just store it in the neighborhood retention pond.

On 7/23/2019 at 9:14 AM, New Scotland (NS) said:

I forget who said it first, but my favourite and most appropriate from my playing days was ... 'my handicap is my swing'.

They once asked Sammy Davis, Jr. what his golF handicap was. He said, "I'm a one-eyed black Jew, is that enough?"

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, shrader said:

Linked up with the previous one? Most definitely. 

They got the birth year last time. Now they get the exact date. 

The next question: Make up a starting line with a player who shares your mother's maiden name, a player who shares the name of your first boss, and player who has a dog that has same name as your dog.

Edited by SwampD
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

They got the birth year last time. Now they get the exact date. 

The next question: Make up a starting line with a player who shares your mother's maiden name, a player who shares the name of your first boss, and player who has a dog that has same name as your dog.

What would be your career stat line?  The first 3 digits of your social security number are the games played, then next 3 are your goals, and the last 3 are your assists.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, shrader said:

What would be your career stat line?  The first 3 digits of your social security number are the games played, then next 3 are your goals, and the last 3 are your assists.

They'd waive the waiting period, put me in the hall of fame and every team in the league would retire my number.