Ultimate Rick Jeanneret Trivia

PASabreFan

Here we go!

1. After the last game at the Aud, in 1996, during his on-ice speech to the crowd, how many pounds did Rick say he had gained since his first broadcast in that building?

2. After the Sabres defeated the Minnesota North Stars in Game 4 of a playoff series in 1981 to avoid being swept, who did Rick assure that there would be another game in the series?

Virginia

3. What was the name of the Niagara Falls, NY, bar owned by Rick, Don Lever and Rick Ley?

Clancy's, USeh

4. Why did Rick say he was particularly relieved that Dave Hannan finally scored in the fourth overtime against the Devils in the 1994 playoffs?

He really had to take a leak.

5. What famous hockey announcer does Rick vividly remember seeing holding a pencil like a microphone while doing play by play, after "stick mics" had been replaced by headsets?

Danny Gallivan

6. Why did Rick start wearing suspenders?

He had had a hernia operation and a belt was too uncomfortable.

7. What were the call letters of the Niagara Falls, Ontario radio station where Rick was a morning DJ from the mid 80s until the early 90s?

CJRN

8. Who did the Sabres beat the first time Rick Jeanneret exclaimed "May Day! May Day!" after an overtime goal by Brad May?

St. Louis

9. What ailment forced Rick to miss a few games in the early 1990s?

Laryngitis

10. What three players touching the puck in succession comprised Rick's fantasy call, one he never got to use, and what was the call?

Malarchuk, Andreychuk, Hawerchuk ("Here a chuk, there a chuk, everywhere a chuk chuk.")

How do you do?

10 At this moment, Rick's attorney is preparing a restraining order against you

7-9 You may or may not know the exact whereabouts of Jeanneret's pillow

4–6 You're not quite scary good, but you're Dawesome enough

1–3 You are only somewhat worthy

0 You are truly bottom shelf

And we are going to ooooooooovertime! Bonus question. Who can get to the magical score of 11?

11. What NHL franchise tried to poach Rick from the Sabres in the early 1990s?

Tampa Bay

Edited by PASabreFan

I bet a lot of people could do their own 10 (or 11) and I might get two. Anybody want to chip in? We've known this man for decades! What a treasure trove of memories and tidbits.

Anyone who got 2. has my undying appreciation. It's a very personal memory for me. I thought after their run in 1980 in Bowman's first year that 1981 would surely be the year. When they won Game 4 in OT (Craig Ramsay), I truly believed they would come back and win the series.

2, 4, & 9.

Should've had 5 & 11. Shouldn't have taken the quiz after plowing the driveway at 2AM. :doh:

Was thinking you were going a different way on 10, but after seeing the answer, that was another even bigger :doh: as he's mentioned that a few times through the years.

Had no chance on 3, 7, or 8. Was in the building for 1, so probably should've remembered that one as well. But wasn't driving that night, which is probably why that one wasn't remembered.

Good quiz.

Another q for the quiz:

12. What 2 habits did RJ have when calling the games on radio back in the 70's?

A beer a period & nervously rolling his tie up & unrolling it during play while he was talking.

2, 4, & 9.

Should've had 5 & 11. Shouldn't have taken the quiz after plowing the driveway at 2AM. :doh:

Was thinking you were going a different way on 10, but after seeing the answer, that was another even bigger :doh: as he's mentioned that a few times through the years.

Had no chance on 3, 7, or 8. Was in the building for 1, so probably should've remembered that one as well. But wasn't driving that night, which is probably why that one wasn't remembered.

Good quiz.

Another q for the quiz:

12. What 2 habits did RJ have when calling the games on radio back in the 70's?

A beer a period & nervously rolling his tie up & unrolling it during play while he was talking.

Hey - I had 4, 5, and 9. Right on.

I got half of #12. Partial credit?  

Quick aside: I think others have noted it (PA among them), but, am I right in thinking that RJ sounds good? Like, not just good for his age, but, like, good like he sounded 10 years ago good.

Maybe the modified schedule is helping him to extend a robust winter of his career.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Great question, Taro. I got the obvious first alf and went with another obvious habit for the other half. Should I be adding questions to the original quiz?

I think I know who you guessed for 5. An even older legend?

Hey - I had 4, 5, and 9. Right on.

I got half of #12. Partial credit?  

Quick aside: I think others have noted it (PA among them), but, am I right in thinking that RJ sounds good? Like, not just good for his age, but, like, good like he sounded 10 years ago good.

Maybe the modified schedule is helping him to extend a robust winter of his career.

The ticker, too. Not to be cute, but the old coconut is probably getting more oxygen than it used to.

Great question, Taro. I got the obvious first alf and went with another obvious habit for the other half. Should I be adding questions to the original quiz?

I think I know who you guessed for 5. An even older legend?

The ticker, too. Not to be cute, but the old coconut is probably getting more oxygen than it used to.

Yep. But should've known better. Watched many a game called by Danny & Dick Irvin Jr. Which, IMHO, was the best announcing tandem ever. Even better than Ted & Pat.

Or Van, Stan, & Fan for that matter, too. ;)

Rick once said his style was so unique, he couldn't have copied it from anyone. You could argue whether he copied Gallivan's style, but some of the language? Absolutely.

Here are some Gallivanisms courtesy of Wikipedia: Nowhere near the net. Right out in front. An enormous save. Paraphernalia. Glorious scoring opportunity.

---

I was going to include this in the quiz, but I can't be 100% sure about my memory. Maybe someone can confirm this: Rick did an NHL game on the radio in the mid 1980s not involving the Sabres. Did this happen and if so, why?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.