GDT: Edmonton at Buffalo, 12/6/16 (7pm, MSG)

Eleven

Greater than? Well, that's an interesting way of evaluating such ... theories.

The Marfan talk about Myers was sufficiently "out there" that I actually found it fairly benign. And, IIRC, it was evident by that point in time that Myers was not going to be a franchise player.

Talking like that about Eichel is something that concerns me, and, if I am being honest, just bums me out. Maybe it just hit me at the wrong time and maybe I should just ignore it, but I saw one regular poster breezily theorize that Eichel suffers from ADHD, and then another say something like "yeah, I've thought the same thing", and I just ... despaired. It might be time for a break through the winter holidays for me.

Also, I forget what the talk was about Miller's scar. I remember the eye-orientation thing, though.

Jeepers. I thought you were just funning.

And I can't seem to watch hockey and post in forums at the same time.

I'm running into that too lately.  I used to watch while seated at my computer, and I still do sometimes, but I can't keep the banter up and pay attention to the game.  I can't multitask like I used to.

What did we used to call the old core? Fragile little children?

This board is more like broken, cynical middle-age divorcees whose spouses ran away to Italy with a 23-year-old in a hot convertible.

it is so bruised it can scarcely contemplate hope, let alone joy.

We tied the game with 23 seconds left and won it with a perfect shot in overtime!

This is why we became fans. Let yourselves have some fun. You deserve it.

Thanks for not quoting my pre-game pep talk post...  <_<

And an editorial remark about criticizing the performance instead of the win:  That Edmonton team was rested, is leading the viciously tough Pacific, and had the best road record in the league coming in.  Did anyone expect the banged up Sabres to be able to play with them for 60 minutes?  That is huge win and a quality performance.

And an editorial remark about criticizing the performance instead of the win:  That Edmonton team was rested, is leading the viciously tough Pacific, and had the best road record in the league coming in.  Did anyone expect the banged up Sabres to be able to play with them for 60 minutes?  That is huge win and a quality performance.

This. I agree with you.

The Sabres played a good first period, lost their legs in the 2nd and for a good chunk of the 3rd, but had the mental toughness to battle and get the game tying goal and then go into OT and win it. Hell of a gutsy effort for a beat up team playing tired on back to back games. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GujpLHHz48

It's called "overcoming adversity" or "finding a way to win."

Teams usually get praised for it.

This is the point in the season that a good coach starts to coach confidence more than the x's and 0's. 

Us against the world...

We went up against some of the best in the league....

Hard work.... no shifts off...

The middle grind of the season and the Holidays could play a bigger part than the injuries. Their tired and beat up. They need a good chest beating and moral boost by the coaching staff to keep this play going.

I'm liking HCDB's team at the start of games and his overall coaching philosophy change since the *try not to lose* play style was implemented when Jack was injured.

It was a good, hard fought win. They gave everything they had to get points on very tough back to back scheduled opponents. 

And once again, I really look forward to the next game. 

It's called "overcoming adversity" or "finding a way to win."

Teams usually get praised for it.

And is usually what separates good teams from middling teams. The really good teams find ways to win when they don't have their best game, where the bad teams only win when they play at their best. 

and then another say something like "yeah, I've thought the same thing", and I just ... despaired.

Why?  For the record, I was "another" that chimed in.  Do you despair because we're judgmental?  That we're armchair diagnosing?  That "our hero" may be flawed? 

To me, it was just an observation that I'd had previously but never mentioned until someone else did.  I will admit that I have no special qualification to diagnose anything like that.  I don't think I was being judgmental; to me it's a neutral- if he has ADHD, he does.  It might be part of what makes him the great player he is.  It's also entirely possible that I'm way off base and that's fine too.

Edited by Doohickie

And is usually what separates good teams from middling teams. The really good teams find ways to win when they don't have their best game, where the bad teams only win when they play at their best. 

That was hardly their best game.

So I will chalk it up as a good team fighting through adversity to get the win.

Edited by Woods-Racer

I'm running into that too lately.  I used to watch while seated at my computer, and I still do sometimes, but I can't keep the banter up and pay attention to the game.  I can't multitask like I used to.

No one can multitask that well. Your eyes cannot be on two screens at once. (Unless you're Ryan Miller.)

This. I agree with you.

The Sabres played a good first period, lost their legs in the 2nd and for a good chunk of the 3rd, but had the mental toughness to battle and get the game tying goal and then go into OT and win it. Hell of a gutsy effort for a beat up team playing tired on back to back games. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GujpLHHz48

This screen grab reminds me. Okposo made a very interesting decision to not try and deflect Risto's shot. No NHLers here (that I know of), but for those who do play, how is that decision made?

No one can multitask that well. Your eyes cannot be on two screens at once. (Unless you're Ryan Miller.)

This screen grab reminds me. Okposo made a very interesting decision to not try and deflect Risto's shot. No NHLers here (that I know of), but for those who do play, how is that decision made?

Too fast to even attempt a deflection? I don't know but it is a good observation.

not sure except that because it was a rocket... or he might have seen the gap on that side of the goalie. Could have been he glanced away to check positioning as Risto let it go. Edited by North Buffalo

Shot was kinda high...don't want to risk a high stick call

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.