GDT: Toronto at Buffalo, 7:00 PM ET, 11/03/2016

Doohickie

We just lost a game where the Sabres were clearly the better team while missing 5 regulars. This game should provide confidence not panic, especially coming after 3 tough wins.

If Eichel and Kane had both been healthy this year - what games do the lose? Montreal and the first Minny game? Any others?

And the new additions have made one of those regulars (Des) hopefully not a regular, anymore (13th man, sure). Let's hope we can somehow get Humpty Dumpty replaced, too. You are right - add Eichel, Kane, and Fasching and there'd be a big difference.

And the new additions have made one of those regulars (Des) hopefully not a regular, anymore (13th man, sure). Let's hope we can somehow get Humpty Dumpty replaced, too. You are right - add Eichel, Kane, and Fasching and there'd be a big difference.

Forward grouping looks very promising later this year & in the next couple of years.

Though lack of depth on D is scary now, TM has a nice core that needs 1 more top 4 piece & 1-2 depth pieces. Risto, Kuli, & McCabe belong in top 4. If Guhle & Nelson can be legit bottom pairing guys, just need 1 FA signing or a trade of a F for a 3-4 & a couple of Franson type depth signings & that's ok. But Gorges will suffice as 5th-6th D while Guhle gets up to speed.

Can't wait to see what TM's next coach'll get these guys to.

Forward grouping looks very promising later this year & in the next couple of years.

Though lack of depth on D is scary now, TM has a nice core that needs 1 more top 4 piece & 1-2 depth pieces. Risto, Kuli, & McCabe belong in top 4. If Guhle & Nelson can be legit bottom pairing guys, just need 1 FA signing or a trade of a F for a 3-4 & a couple of Franson type depth signings & that's ok. But Gorges will suffice as 5th-6th D while Guhle gets up to speed.

See it the same way. RHD for second pairing is my high priority. It's the only glaring hole, in my view. I'd think it would only be tweaking after that, and development.

I always liked what the Sabres did back in the day in keeping a veteran 7th defenseman who was at the tail end of his career. Numminen and Patrick come to mind. We're stuck playing Rochester guys if one of the top-6 goes down. That isn't ideal. Nelson and Guhle aren't ready.

See it the same way. RHD for second pairing is my high priority. It's the only glaring hole, in my view. I'd think it would only be tweaking after that, and development.

Funny how that works. LD was the glaring need back there & now RD looks to be where the hole is.

Once that's filled, they can actually get back to grabbing the bpa & letting him get up to speed over ~3 years to get ready for the NHL. Been a loooooong painful ride getting there.

I always liked what the Sabres did back in the day in keeping a veteran 7th defenseman who was at the tail end of his career. Numminen and Patrick come to mind. We're stuck playing Rochester guys if one of the top-6 goes down. That isn't ideal. Nelson and Guhle aren't ready.

That's true today. Hopefully it isn't next year for at least 1 of them. If that's the case, he can be Gorges partner next year.

Yes. 

I love SwampD, but Pi is the only thing that saves him from "Franson is better than McCabe" being the worst idea of the new season. McCabe is phenomenal. 

05, so correct. 

Very nice.

Good call.

My game notes:

- Nelson started off pretty well but got a bit shakier as the game went on.  Still a big improvement over his first game, though.

- Like others have said, the Sabres played pretty well.  There's just not enough finish.  Someone from the ROR line or the Reino line needed to step up tonight.

- Ennis made a number of bonehead plays (which Marty B. and Rayzor pointed out pretty well), but he created a number of chances in the 2nd half of the game.

- Reino still pretty uneven, although he made a number of nice feeds that Zemgus and Ennis were unable to convert.

- Pretty solid games from McCabe, Risto and Franson on D.

- It looked like DDB was playing the Larsson line against the Matthews-Nylander line -- and it was effective.  The Larsson line also probably created the most offense for the Sabres tonight.

- Marty mentioned that Lehner should've played the puck coming acrost the crease on the 1st Toronto goal, which I agree with.

- Marner was the most dangerous player on the ice.  What a nifty player he is.

- Disappointing power plays, and the refs didn't call enough penalties.

Overall, it was a disappointing loss -- but if they play like that again on Sat., they'll probably win and then they'll have another shot at DeLuca .500.

Funny how that works. LD was the glaring need back there & now RD looks to be where the hole is.

Once that's filled, they can actually get back to grabbing the bpa & letting him get up to speed over ~3 years to get ready for the NHL. Been a loooooong painful ride getting there.

That's true today. Hopefully it isn't next year for at least 1 of them. If that's the case, he can be Gorges partner next year.

It'll be great being able to enjoy the draft in that frame of mind. The key is Bogosian. We probably don't have the $ for a suitable RHD addition without finding a suitor for Bogosian.

I've really done quite a quick 180 on him, and I do think he's still adequate on the ice. But he's just not on the ice enough, that is abundantly clear now. Having him penciled in the top 4 is too much of a liability.

Edited by Thorny

It's great to have you around :)

So I know he's done so before, but is Marty Biron on the MSG broadcast going to be a more regular thing now, or was that just a special occasion?

He works at the Harbor Center doesn't he? Can he be on all the home game broadcasts at least? I know he does commentating for TSN (and maybe a few others?) too..but I loved having him on last night.

I initially missed that he was on the broadcast though, so at first I kept going "who the hell is that talking to RJ and Rayzor?"

So I know he's done so before, but is Marty Biron on the MSG broadcast going to be a more regular thing now, or was that just a special occasion?

He works at the Harbor Center doesn't he? Can he be on all the home game broadcasts at least? I know he does commentating for TSN (and maybe a few others?) too..but I loved having him on last night.

I initially missed that he was on the broadcast though, so at first I kept going "who the hell is that talking to RJ and Rayzor?"

I like Marty. To the extent I caught the game, it was on the radio. His delivery and the trio's cohesion were both a bit off -- but I'd welcome him as part of the broadcast team going forward. 

They didn't do it much until the end, really. Toronto didn't touch the puck from when they scored in the second until the end of the game.

Based on what I saw and heard (listened to most of the third), it sounded as though the Sabres controlled play for the most part. Good effort - unlucky outcome. I wonder what the shot attempts were (as opposed to SOG). I'd bet the Sabres had at least 65.

I like Marty. To the extent I caught the game, it was on the radio. His delivery and the trio's cohesion were both a bit off -- but I'd welcome him as part of the broadcast team going forward.

Based on what I saw and heard (listened to most of the third), it sounded as though the Sabres controlled play for the most part. Good effort - unlucky outcome. I wonder what the shot attempts were (as opposed to SOG). I'd bet the Sabres had at least 65.

Shots on goal were 43-29, and I read the blocked shots last night. I can't remember exactly what they were but Toronto was approaching twenty, we had less than ten. Not sure about missed shots. But I haven't seen the Sabres control the play so consistently in a long time.

Shots on goal were 43-29, and I read the blocked shots last night. I can't remember exactly what they were but Toronto was approaching twenty, we had less than ten. Not sure about missed shots. But I haven't seen the Sabres control the play so consistently in a long time.

Thanks. So - maybe they were as high as 70? It seemed that way to me too.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.