GDT: Buffalo at Winnipeg, 3:00 PM ET, 10/30/2016

Doohickie

Franson has been a lot worse than McCabe. McCabe has been a pleasant surprise this season. Franson has been burned on probably half of the goals scored against us this season.

No. Just, no.

Did you watch the Wild game? Two of those goals were directly because of his poor positioning and inability to fix it with slow skating.

Franson is what he is, and is getting the fewest minutes of any defenseman because of it. I accept that and am not disappointed by him because I know what he is.

But he is clearly our worst defenseman.

Franson has been a lot worse than McCabe. McCabe has been a pleasant surprise this season. Franson has been burned on probably half of the goals scored against us this season.

Did you watch the Wild game? Two of those goals were directly because of his poor positioning and inability to fix it with slow skating.

Franson is what he is, and is getting the fewest minutes of any defenseman because of it. I accept that and am not disappointed by him because I know what he is.

But he is clearly our worst defenseman.

I've also seen him cover for some pretty glaring mistakes by McCabe, turning what could have been a disaster into completely mundane play, but, ya know, those plays don't make the headlines.

Big time. Franson's not the worst 3rd pairing D in the league, but he's probably pretty close.

And what more do you expect? We're one of the worst teams in the league, so naturally our bottom pair would probably have one of the worst defensemen. I don't even think he's been that bad, and I'm fine with him there for the time being, though I wish we had a guy that could keep him on the bench.

But I don't think it's close between him and McCabe. Not even a little bit. 

Also, how much did McCabe play with Franson yesterday anyway? I missed half the game, but McCabe's partner has been Bogosian mostly. I've seen Kulikov with Franson most often.

I'm even revising my opinion that he's been one of the worst third pairing D - there are some terrible players getting that time on legitimate contenders. He's probably an average third pairing defenseman.

This is silly.

I bet if he just looked prettier when he skates backwards ya'll would have a different opinion of him (cuz I'll admit, it's pretty ugly). But he still gets to where he's going, clears the front of the net better than any other D on the team. He's decent in the O zone. And once those bombs on the PP stop hitting the post and going in, I'm guessing all this noise will get a lot quieter.

I bet if he just looked prettier when he skates backwards ya'll would have a different opinion of him (cuz I'll admit, it's pretty ugly). But he still gets to where he's going, clears the front of the net better than any other D on the team. He's decent in the O zone. And once those bombs on the PP stop hitting the post and going in, I'm guessing all this noise will get a lot quieter.

Perhaps, because if he was skating backwards better we only lose 2-0 to the wild :P

I'm stunned by how shallow you think this board is sometimes.

I bet if he was good at hockey I would have a different opinion of him.

Right now he isn't. Doesn't mean he doesn't have more skill, though, and will become better.

I'm definitely going to watch these two - I hadn't much thought about comparing them closely, but this opinion goes clearly against what I thought I was seeing. 

Without paying close attention, I've seen McCabe make more high level defensive plays than Franson (one odd man rush really sticks out, he broke something up and then also saved a goal a split second later) and be responsible for fewer goals against, but again that could be wrong.

I could very well be seeing it that way because of my assumption to start the season that McCabe is better.

We shall see.

(And I was one of the guys that was heavily against all of the McCabe optimism in the offseason - he's been outperforming my expectations to this point)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.