Buffalo Sabres top 50 of all time

Hoss

Buffalo Sabres Top 50  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the tenth best player in Sabres history?

• Craig Ramsay
    • Ryan Miller
    • Jim Schoenfield
    • Rene Robert

So this might be an interesting exercise if anybody else is willing to get in on it.

The Leafs did their top 100 because this year is their centennial season. The Sabres will cross the 50-year mark in 2020. So let's do what we did for the best players in the NHL, but this will, instead, be for the Sabres best 50 players of all time.

This is ONLY players who played for the Sabres in their time with the team.

Regardless, let's kick it off a number one.

I don't believe there's any argument for a player other than Hasek or Perreault so they get the first poll. Whoever loses this poll by the end of the day will move in to the number two slot and we'll take nominations for the third-best player (you can nominate at any time. I'll add players who get multiple nominations to the next poll).

1. Dominik Hasek

2. Gilbert Perreault

3. Pat LaFontaine

4. Rick Martin

5. Alexander Mogilny

6. Phil Housley

7. Danny Gare

8. Mike Ramsey

9. Dave Andreychuk

Edited by Hoss

Sabres history is replete with a cavalcade of half-decent players, a few brilliant stars burned out (for various reasons) too fast, and then Gilbert and Dom. Gilbert occupying the level directly below Dom. Dunno how far we can stretch it...

No need to stretch. I'm sure most are aware we'll have some weak players at the back end.

But we'll have Dom, Gilbert, Housley, PLF, Ramsay, Ramsay, Martin, Robert, Mogilny, Andreychuk, Gare, Drury, Briere, Vanek, Luce, Hawerchuk and a few more that are probably slipping my mind occupying a good amount of the list.

No need to stretch. I'm sure most are aware we'll have some weak players at the back end.

But we'll have Dom, Gilbert, Housley, PLF, Ramsay, Ramsay, Martin, Robert, Mogilny, Andreychuk, Gare, Drury, Briere, Vanek, Luce, Hawerchuk and a few more that are probably slipping my mind occupying a good amount of the list.

Good thread!

What about guys like Turgeon, who was only here a few years? I'm guessing only their work as a Sabre counts, right? Like no Gilmours?

The third best player in Sabres history is LaFontaine, his point per game played is better then any other Sabres in history. After him you have Housley and Andreychuk, one HoFer and one who should be soon. No other Sabre is even in the running. The next one is Rick Martin, whose goals per game is better then any other Sabre in history.

As to Hasek vs Perreault there really isn't much of an argument for Gilbert. I grew up going to the Aud to watch the French Connection. I loved watching them and they got us close to a championship. Perreault was a great player and a deserving HOFer, but he is never in the conversation as the G.O.A.T at center in NHL history. However, Hasek is arguably the GOAT for goaltenders. Personally, I think he is the greatest goalie for all time. Better then Roy, or Brodeur.

The third best player in Sabres history is LaFontaine, his point per game played is better then any other Sabres in history. After him you have Housley and Andreychuk, one HoFer and one who should be soon. No other Sabre is even in the running. The next one is Rick Martin, whose goals per game is better then any other Sabre in history.

As to Hasek vs Perreault there really isn't much of an argument for Gilbert. I grew up going to the Aud to watch the French Connection. I loved watching them and they got us close to a championship. Perreault was a great player and a deserving HOFer, but he is never in the conversation as the G.O.A.T at center in NHL history. However, Hasek is arguably the GOAT for goaltenders. Personally, I think he is the greatest goalie for all time. Better then Roy, or Brodeur.

I don't know that it's even arguable. Hasek was the best player period in the sport for a few years running, let alone at his position. When one considers the history of goaltending in the NHL, there are none better. Ever.

LaFontaine was a team player. Sasha, not so much. If he could've finished any breakaways in '94, the Sabres would've been playing the Rags.

I always wondered what made Mogilny miss all those breakaways that year before his departure. Was it a demonstration that things weren't right with the organization or just coincidence?

I always wondered what made Mogilny miss all those breakaways that year before his departure. Was it a demonstration that things weren't right with the organization or just coincidence?

Seeing that his luck wasn't much better in Vancouver, Toronto or New Jersey I'd say coincidence.

Mogilny was an excellent player, but one season is not a career. He never scored more then 40 for the Sabres other then that one season. I don't think his Sabres career is even close to as influencial on the team as Andreychuk or Housley or Martin or Gare or even Robert. I'd put below all those guys with Hawerchuk.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.