2017 NHL Draft -- General NHL Thread

WildCard

Love Gustav Lindstrom in the 5th, I'll add him to my board, I hadn't realized he was so unloved. Westerlund, no thanks.

He is very unloved. I might take him in the 4th because we don't have a 5th (I thought we didn't have a 4th but double check says it is the 5th we are missing). Why no Westerlund love? 

For those curious Lindstrom (no not Nick) is a 6'2" roughly 190lb RHD who currently plays in the Allsvenskan which is like the SHL version of the AHL but a step below our own AHL. Anyways... he had 9 points in 48 games as a first year pro with a mid October bday (so he's old for this draft class).  I think he goes in the 4th and at pick #99 that would be a solid pickup for Buffalo. Will he ever make the NHL? Probably not but you could do way worse than Lindstrom at #99. Wish I had access to his TOI and his primary points. 

I should profile more forwards but someone else can get on that. I have enjoyed the in depth look at the defenders this class. 

Edited by LGR4GM

That's it. If we end up with this guy, I will only refer to him as Star Lord.

yessssssssssssssssss!!!!!!

btw I know he is the gt from Boston Univ. Not sure I take him at #54 but maybe I could be convinced. I typically do not like goalies enough until round #3 because you can easily get a starter there. Just reading up on him a bit, should be gone by #54 unless he slides a bit.

Edited by LGR4GM

Didnt see a combine thread and figured this was close enough. What is the point of the NHL combine. They covered the rink at harbor center. They don't do any hockey related drills. I didn't see one stick, puck, or pad when I was walking around. If I didn't see the nhl combine signs everywhere I would have thought they were training for a triathlon

--I like GA's idea of trading down and picking up another 2d round pick.  I don't think anyone is really worth the 8th pick in this draft.

--I'm not sure I'd spend anything more than a 5th round pick on an NCAA player until the loophole is closed.  Yes, I'm aware of whence Jack Eichel came.

The thinking is, is that hockey scouts have seen Mittlestadt play hockey, what they want to do is talk to him, check his fitness levels, that sort of stuff. I would put some weight in the event if I could get the data, thus see if it matters. My guess is that it doesn't, but Liger, for instance, thinks it is important.

The thinking is, is that hockey scouts have seen Mittlestadt play hockey, what they want to do is talk to him, check his fitness levels, that sort of stuff. I would put some weight in the event if I could get the data, thus see if it matters. My guess is that it doesn't, but Liger, for instance, thinks it is important.

I think the interview and height/weight are good parts of the combine. The rest really is superfluous. The only thing the rest measures is how physically ready you are for the NHL today, which doesn't mean much.

The fact the nhl doesn't have on ice testing is a complete sham.

I think the interview and height/weight are good parts of the combine. The rest really is superfluous. The only thing the rest measures is how physically ready you are for the NHL today, which doesn't mean much.

The fact the nhl doesn't have on ice testing is a complete sham.

I dont really agree. That bike test is a measurement of cardiovascular capability. Yes, fitness is a factor, but it is also measuring capacity as well. There is more, and I am not going to expound upon it like I know much of what I am talking about, but there is definite value to those tests beyond how much time had athlete X spent in the weight room.

I dont really agree. That bike test is a measurement of cardiovascular capability. Yes, fitness is a factor, but it is also measuring capacity as well. There is more, and I am not going to expound upon it like I know much of what I am talking about, but there is definite value to those tests beyond how much time had athlete X spent in the weight room.

Do you think that test means anything 3 years after it is performed in relation to how good an NHL player that prospect could be?

Do you think that test means anything 3 years after it is performed in relation to how good an NHL player that prospect could be?

Yes. Things lime aerobic testing will show whether a player has the physical capacity to play an uptempo game for extended periods.

--I like GA's idea of trading down and picking up another 2d round pick.  I don't think anyone is really worth the 8th pick in this draft.

--I'm not sure I'd spend anything more than a 5th round pick on an NCAA player until the loophole is closed.  Yes, I'm aware of whence Jack Eichel came.

How else should the NHL handle college players?  Seriously, I asking for an alternative to the current system.  The only real option I can see is allowing the kids to sign "future" contracts, but then get returned to college.  I think the NBA should do this as well.  

The vast majority sign with the team that drafted them.  McCabe and Eichel are college kids drafted by the Sabres.  In fact, I can't think of any college kids we drafted that rejected a contract from the Sabres over the years.  Petersen might be the first.  (Vesey doesn't count since he was already in limbo when the Sabres acquired his rights).  

Edited by GASabresFan

So I looked at the weights and measures from the combine to try to make my data a bit more accurate. The first player was Filip Chytil, who I had at 72 inches, they measured at 75.5. I thought, how do you confuse a 6' player from a 6'3 1/2" player? It didn't make sense until I saw the note under the first group of players.

Please note, the 7:30 A.M. group tested with shoes on. Subtract two inches to get their height without shoes. Listed heights are with shoes and what was posted on the board. Adjust accordingly.

How else should the NHL handle college players? Seriously, I asking for an alternative to the current system. The only real option I can see is allowing the kids to sign "future" contracts, but then get returned to college. I think the NBA should do this as well.

The vast majority sign with the team that drafted them. McCabe and Eichel are college kids drafted by the Sabres. In fact, I can't think of any college kids we drafted that rejected a contract from the Sabres over the years. Petersen might be the first. (Vesey doesn't count since he was already in limbo when the Sabres acquired his rights).

Just like it's been suggested over and over on here: if the player doesn't want to sign after 3 years, they re-enter the draft and start all over again. It's really that simple. Players should have a say who they definitely won't play for, but ejecting like this should be a last resort, not end up being a reward.

I know this doesn't happen often, but we've seen it happen once already (Vesey) and it's a very real possibility with Petersen - all in the past couple years. I think the young draftees are much different than those 10-20 years ago. Heck, even players' attitudes towards the game have changed. I think we're going to see this more often now.

So I looked at the weights and measures from the combine to try to make my data a bit more accurate. The first player was Filip Chytil, who I had at 72 inches, they measured at 75.5. I thought, how do you confuse a 6' player from a 6'3 1/2" player? It didn't make sense until I saw the note under the first group of players.

Please note, the 7:30 A.M. group tested with shoes on. Subtract two inches to get their height without shoes. Listed heights are with shoes and what was posted on the board. Adjust accordingly.

Get your together NHL. This isn't hard, at all.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.