Have Grant and Fasching made Girgensons and Foligno expendable?

GASabresIUFAN

avatar: I saw the future coming, and save Tim to my hard drive, so it was easy.

2.25: This is why I don't think Anaheim is very interested in Marcus Foligno, but I might be wrong on that one.

Grant/Fasching: As K-9 says, got to believe they're playing their best 23, and both Grant and Fasching are in their top 23

Girgensons cannot be replaced by a guy who has been mainly an AHL mainstay who is not really that much better than Cal O'Reilly.  Sorry, that one makes zero sense. As far as Foligno, he can be moved as soon as tomorrow and I'd be ready to move on.  D-Lo easily has more to offer than him at 1.5 million less. 

Why has there been so little mention of Bailey along with Fashing and Grant ? I think his overall game has shown very well thus far and he has put up points in each game he's played in, culminating with a nice short handed goal last night. 

Do you want Justin Bailey playing 7-8minutes a night on the 4th line? 

Am I the only one who thinks GMTM and El Pegaul have absolutely ZERO compunction about playing Moulson in Rachacha if a hard decision needs to be made? If Fasching and Grant earn it in their eyes I can see them keeping either in favor of MattyMo.

Nope. Frankly, I don't understand why people think his contract is going to dictate anything. It's a burden regardless of where he plays, and Pegula has shown no issue with flushing money down the toilet anyway.

Why has there been so little mention of Bailey along with Fashing and Grant ? I think his overall game has shown very well thus far and he has put up points in each game he's played in, culminating with a nice short handed goal last night.

I just don't think Bailey has shown enough in camp to warrant much discussion.

Girgensons cannot be replaced by a guy who has been mainly an AHL mainstay who is not really that much better than Cal O'Reilly. Sorry, that one makes zero sense. As far as Foligno, he can be moved as soon as tomorrow and I'd be ready to move on. D-Lo easily has more to offer than him at 1.5 million less.

On paper and by pedigree maybe not, but if DD makes Z the 4th line center, then the stats say otherwise. Z put up 18 pts last season in 71 games mostly on the 4th line. COR had 7 pts in 20 games (28 pt pace). I think Grant has the skill to do at least what Z did last year and you agree he is better then COR. Edited by GASabresIUFAN

[quote name="TheCerebral1" post="865041" timestamp="1475773727. D-Lo easily has more to offer than him at 1.5 million less.

The only thing DLo does better than Foligno is fight, and that's not by a wide margin.

Substitute Fasching for DLo and you may have an argument

Edited by dudacek

I don't know much about Grant, or even have an opinion on him yet, he is so new with the team.

Grigorenko?  Unless the coaches and management are dead set on getting rid of him, or think he will never become much, I don't see the rush to get rid of him.  Last year, he LOOKED to be a really hard working guy and pretty good in his own end and back-checking..and for the analytical types...I think his numbers backed up him being the best, or in the top 3 Defensive forwards on the entire team.  If he even scores 10-15 goals a year eventually AND remains a top tier defensive forward, I don't see why you wouldn't LOVE to have that guy on your team.

I know after 2 years ago, many of us were looking forward to him becoming a 20-25 goal, 60 point player...but if he isn't that...that doesn't mean the Sabres should be shopping him every chance they get.

This is a young team trying to develop depth. It's far too early in the process to use words like "expendable."

Sorry any youngish player signed to a one year "prove it" contract is expendable. The organization is telling that player that unless they improve dramatically they aren't going to be retained beyond this season and depending on how other prospects play, they could also easily be moved in a trade sooner then later.

Girgensons needs to establish himself as a better 3rd line center then Larsson to be here long-term. So far he hasn't done it. However his versatility and PK ability gives him an edge. However, he has been outplayed by Grant in the pre-season and if relegated to a 4th line role he could find himself in the pressbox.

Foligno's job is even more precarious. We have so many quality wingers in the organization, between Nylander, Carrier, Fasching, Baptiste and Bailey, that I have a feeling that no matter what Marcus does this is his last season here. His 2.25 mill contract is also working against him. On the positive front, Kane, Gionta and Moulson could be out the door also after this season and his experience might buy him more time here.

Regardless, i think if the right deal comes along to strengthen the D, one or both could easily be included in a deal without a serious dip in the quality of our forward group.

The organization is telling that player that unless they improve dramatically they aren't going to be retained beyond this season and depending on how other prospects play, they could also easily be moved in a trade sooner then later.

The organization told Girgensons that is what his play last season earned him.

If he plays that way this season, they would undoubtedly be happy to sign him again at the same rate.

Maybe, but at some point it's best for both parties to move on. I think we are sadly almost there with Big Z.

What?

Let me expand. He's 22 and just learned Bylsma's system. He barely had regular line mates last year and is easily a solid third liner. Why would we give up on him? Your post makes 0 sense.

Edited by LGR4GM

What?

Let me expand. He's 22 and just learned Bylsma's system. He barely had regular line mates last year and is easily a solid third liner. Why would we give up on him? Your post makes 0 sense.

Duda said if he has another year like last year the Sabres will probably re-sign him for a similar contract as they did this year and I said the Sabres would probably move on at that point. Why doesn't this make sense?

If nothing else all the players who play a similar role should serve to push a few to elevate their game a bit.  They are fighting for a job on a 3/4 line.  It's not easy to get that opportunity inside another organization because most have a plethora 3/4 line players already.  So losing out in Buffalo could mean the end of an opportunity.

Best case.. too many elevate their games and the Sabres can trade a few away.

Not yet however.  I think 1 yr contract players are definitely trade bait material if the younger players prove worthy but not at the beginning of the season.  If Murray can keep some in the AHL and take advantage of a top level team losing a few players to injury he can maximize his return.  If nothing else he waits until the trade deadline.  I think one thing is certain, choosing between Foligno, Girgensons, Bailey, Fasching, etc. is not going to the deciding factor of making the playoffs this year.

And that doesn't make sense to me. If he isn't as good as you want, you do resign him because you can trade a signed player easier. Also you can sign and expose him in the expansion draft. Trading his rights doesn't make sense to me.

I also don't think we'll cross that bridge either.

If nothing else all the players who play a similar role should serve to push a few to elevate their game a bit. They are fighting for a job on a 3/4 line. It's not easy to get that opportunity inside another organization because most have a plethora 3/4 line players already. So losing out in Buffalo could mean the end of an opportunity.

Best case.. too many elevate their games and the Sabres can trade a few away.

Not yet however. I think 1 yr contract players are definitely trade bait material if the younger players prove worthy but not at the beginning of the season. If Murray can keep some in the AHL and take advantage of a top level team losing a few players to injury he can maximize his return. If nothing else he waits until the trade deadline. I think one thing is certain, choosing between Foligno, Girgensons, Bailey, Fasching, etc. is not going to the deciding factor of making the playoffs this year.

I could see a trade deadline deal. I just don't see a scenario where he doesn't get signed and his rights are traded.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.