OT - Alternatives to WGR 3-7 PM

inkman

For my Rochester bretheren or anyone who can stream:

95.7fm/950am - for the next 3 weeks its Pat Duffy and Gene Battaglia. Duffy has spent the last decade floating around Rochester morning radio. He's the everyman kinda guy with a Rochester Westside background and a sort of child like naivity about his sport teams. Battaglia is a pretty straight forward knowledgeable guy who can crack a joke.

1280 WHTK - Carl Falk is doing 3-6. He's probably my favorite sports talk show host. Very knowledgeable, reasonable and will listen to callers. Not afraid to espouse an opinion.

For my Rochester bretheren or anyone who can stream:

95.7fm/950am - for the next 3 weeks its Pat Duffy and Gene Battaglia. Duffy has spent the last decade floating around Rochester morning radio. He's the everyman kinda guy with a Rochester Westside background and a sort of child like naivity about his sport teams. Battaglia is a pretty straight forward knowledgeable guy who can crack a joke.

1280 WHTK - Carl Falk is doing 3-6. He's probably my favorite sports talk show host. Very knowledgeable, reasonable and will listen to callers. Not afraid to espouse an opinion.

He's Bulldog without the inappropriate emotional outbursts.

I really, really like WGR. I feel very alone in that sentiment on this board, but I stand by it. I also  understand people who dislike some of their guys, but I think they are much higher quality than most other local hosts, and many national hosts, I've experienced in my 20ish years of listening to sports talk stations. Sports talk can be bland and repetitive. Maybe its just that I've become jaded at the same rate and at the same time as the hosts.

I really, really like WGR. I feel very alone in that sentiment on this board, but I stand by it. I also  understand people who dislike some of their guys, but I think they are much higher quality than most other local hosts, and many national hosts, I've experienced in my 20ish years of listening to sports talk stations. Sports talk can be bland and repetitive. Maybe its just that I've become jaded at the same rate and at the same time as the hosts.

You're not alone.

I really, really like WGR. I feel very alone in that sentiment on this board, but I stand by it. I also understand people who dislike some of their guys, but I think they are much higher quality than most other local hosts, and many national hosts, I've experienced in my 20ish years of listening to sports talk stations. Sports talk can be bland and repetitive. Maybe its just that I've become jaded at the same rate and at the same time as the hosts.

I don't have a big problem with what they do, I just feel it could be so much better. Moving Murph to the 12-3 slot vastly improves their football knowledge platform during the daytime. I don't mind the occasional off topic stuff you hear on Schopp and Bulldog. Its just the overall lack of team knowledge during that slot that kills me. When I'm yearning to hear Paul Hamilton come on because thats the only source of credible hockey info, your station has a problem.

I'm also leery of the "experts" they have on in Sal, Coller, and formerly Busgcalia.

I totally agree. I think a lot of people here greatly over-estimate the quality of sports talk radio across the country.

100%.  I only look for alternatives when they start talking Bills/NFL. 

I don't have a big problem with what they do, I just feel it could be so much better. Moving Murph to the 12-3 slot vastly improves their football knowledge platform during the daytime. I don't mind the occasional off topic stuff you hear on Schopp and Bulldog. Its just the overall lack of team knowledge during that slot that kills me. When I'm yearning to hear Paul Hamilton come on because thats the only source of credible hockey info, your station has a problem.

I'm also leery of the "experts" they have on in Sal, Coller, and formerly Busgcalia.

I'm OK with Sal and Coller.  The morning show I can listen to, and I like Hamiltons segments.  But as many others on this board, Shopp and the Bulldog I have a problem with, I hardly listen to them anymore.  Too many times I tune in at 3pm on the ride home, and I hear stories about ANYTHING except for sports for the entire first segment.  I understand shows these days want to mix things up...but that afternoon show has taken "off topic" too far.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.