Do you read Jerry Sullivan or Bucky Gleason?

Eleven

Do you read Jerry Sullivan or Bucky Gleason?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Do you read Jerry Sullivan or Bucky Gleason?

• I read Jerry only
    • I read Bucky only
    • I read neither
    • I read both

Should they cheerlead in order to boost the teams' performance? Both franchises have been terrible, one for almost a decade, one for almost two decades. One might be coming out of it. How positive should the coverage be?

seriously ???

all they every do is find faults. I can not recall one positive article from these 2. Alwasy an ax to grind.

I don;t care if we sucked for 100 years straight. There is enough negativity in our sports woes and in the world. They should actually work on finding the positives to balance out their constant ax grinding especially in the off season when there is hope.

lets put it this way. because of the Buffalo News constant ax grinding sports writers I no longer read their paper or visit their website to read articles. I go anywhere and everywhere else because I don't need the Buffalo News pissing in my cheerios.

I believe there are lots of fed up buffalo sports fans tired of the BN sports writers and are doing the same thing.

I prefer some balance and that is where the BN Sports page fails.. lots of opinion, 99% always negative

I appreciate Jerry's candidness about the Buffalo teams mismanagement over the years. I miss his appearances on WGR. It was a mistake for the paper to take him off for their own webcasts.

no it wasn't.. Most every Buffalonian sports fan I know wants to run him over if they see him crossing the street

there is line with being candid and just being a bitch. Jerry is a bitch

Seek, and ye shall find. Just a sampling of Gleason's hockey pieces this last season. (Oops. Oh well, links didn't carry over from my copy and pasting.)

Ullmark looking like a bright future star
Marked by Buffalo, Ruff aims for the Stars
Bylsma's approach to hockey starts with the small details
New Sabres goalie Lehner can count on a fair shot here
Backyard to big time: How hard work drove Dan Bylsma to NHL success
Speculation is out of line in Patrick Kane case
Just like you, Brandon’s a fan
Jim Lorentz hooked on teaching hockey to kids
Bylsma taking Sabres season three games at a time
Patrick Kane has rediscovered his first love
Howe’s numbers were great, but his passion was greater
Stamkos’ return to Lightning was blessing to Sabres

A few are being honest, I call BS on the most. Most every fan reads everyone who writes anything about the Sabres. It's not going to be ignored. To take people at face value, they would have no honest, objective basis for criticizing everything these guys write if they never read them. Does that make sense? I think so.

For those who are being honest, what are you afraid of? Seeing something in print that you disagree with? Something negative about your beloved team? It's a little weird. Bucky is a very good writer. You're missing out. It's sports. It's supposed to be fun. But, oh heavens, something bad about the Saviour? Clutch those pearls!!! (Credit to Jo. I still chuckle at that line she used.)

Well, I don't subscribe to the news and WGR and here are really my sources. I read more PASabreFan and Inkman than I do either of those guys :)

A few are being honest, I call BS on the most. Most every fan reads everyone who writes anything about the Sabres. It's not going to be ignored. To take people at face value, they would have no honest, objective basis for criticizing everything these guys write if they never read them. Does that make sense? I think so.

For those who are being honest, what are you afraid of? Seeing something in print that you disagree with? Something negative about your beloved team? It's a little weird. Bucky is a very good writer. You're missing out. It's sports. It's supposed to be fun. But, oh heavens, something bad about the Saviour? Clutch those pearls!!! (Credit to Jo. I still chuckle at that line she used.)

I follow certain people on Twitter. If they aren't posting the story on their twitter or someone isn't coming in here telling me I need to read it, I don't. I don't read everything written about the Sabres anymore because I am busy and to be honest, what are any of these reporters going to tell me I don't know yet? Occasionally they have really good one on ones with the players but the rest of the time they report on games, or press conferences, or trades, or some other minor thing which I have already heard about or already watched for myself. Just a different era. 

I read both.

They amuse me. Isn't that what they are paid to do?

The Jim Lorentz article was a great article. Made me feel like a good person just for reading it.

If they entertain you, then you absolutely should read them.  Seems they don't entertain the vast majority here, but that doesn't mean that your taste is somehow "wrong."

Here's my 2 cents: I almost never read Bucky, although I will do so occasionally if he has an opinion piece on the Sabres. I think his writing is pedestrian and, more importantly, he adds zero value in terms of hockey analysis or behind-the-scenes knowledge of what goes on with the Sabres (and those are the areas where, for a senior columnist to be any good, he should be telling us stuff we don't know).

I read most of Jerry's opinion pieces on the Bills, and will usually read his Monday morning post mortems after the games. I think his writing is pretty good and his big-picture analysis of the franchise is pretty acute (and I have generally agreed with his criticisms over the years, since I think the Bills have been pretty much a Micky Mouse operation for a generation). I also think he has a knack for introducing a relevant stat in a clever and spot-on way to support his football analysis.

I don't think Jerry (or Bucky for the most part) has anything worthwhile to say about the Sabres).

I read most of Jerry's opinion pieces on the Bills, and will usually read his Monday morning post mortems after the games. I think his writing is pretty good

I do agree with that: Sullivan is a good writer. Knows how to string sentences together, and isn't bad with a turn of phrase either.

• 1 month later...

Saw that Bucky wrote a piece about the mess with the Bills.

I'm more than open to reading criticism of the team, management, owners (in fact, that is why I clicked through) -- but reading the piece today just re-confirms my prior takes: He offers no insight. He proffers many theories and takes that are either half-baked or just poorly conceived. He's a poor writer.

Saw that Bucky wrote a piece about the mess with the Bills.

I'm more than open to reading criticism of the team, management, owners (in fact, that is why I clicked through) -- but reading the piece today just re-confirms my prior takes: He offers no insight. He proffers many theories and takes that are either half-baked or just poorly conceived. He's a poor writer.

This seems like the old theory about how families can rip each other to shreds, but if someone outside the family does it, they are to be instinctively attacked. You offer half-baked theories and takes, Smell. And so do I. I don't hold it against Bucky. (Not even sure they are half-baked this time. The common denominator of two franchises in the toilet is the Pegulas.)

As for bad writing, this wasn't bad. It was great.

This is nothing against Murray, who has done an admirable job under the circumstances. That’s why Pat LaFontaine hired him in the first place. Just so we’re straight: LaFontaine wasn’t good enough for the Pegulas, but the NHL welcomed him back with open arms, and the Pope invited him to the Vatican.

Sharp, funny and I learned something: the Pope LaLas!

This seems like the old theory about how families can rip each other to shreds, but if someone outside the family does it, they are to be instinctively attacked. You offer half-baked theories and takes, Smell. And so do I. I don't hold it against Bucky. (Not even sure they are half-baked this time. The common denominator of two franchises in the toilet is the Pegulas.)

Talk about bad takes: I wanted to see incisive criticism. I wanted to see some Pegula entrails. But what I got was bland recycled drivel. 

As for comparing the takes here to Bucky: We lob stuff around here for funsies and as diversion during our day. It's not our job.

Anyway, the half-baked reference was prompted by Bucky's comparing Tyrod to Leino. Square peg, meet round hole. Just dumb.

As for his common denominator "take" you reference: Whoop de frickin do. Any arsehole sitting on a bar stool could have come up with that. And that's about all Bucky is, intellectually.

Sharp, funny and I learned something: the Pope LaLas!

I read that and see confirmation that Bucky is still PLF's ball washer.

Bucky isn't for the people on this site; those who have opinions on which prospect will make it or the names of players who got cut from the Bills practice squad. He's for people like my dad who watch the game on Sunday, move on, and maybe read an article about them every once in a while. I'm sure Bucky offered something new to him because he doesn't sit on a message board all day and think about this stuff.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.