Buffalo vs Edmonton: Who Has the Better Season?

WildCard

PICK  

41 members have voted

1. 1. God dammit are these mandatory boxes annoying

• Buffalo
    • Edmonton

So, who has the better season? Does Larsson become some sort of Hedman out in that barren wasteland they call home? Does Lucic provide the muscle and confidence to a locker room that plays like despondent children? Or do the Sabres climb back into April hockey, with Okposo and a healthy Ennis adding some much needed depth scoring, along with Kulikov providing a nice partner for Risto and Lehner staying healthy?

Personally, and this might shock some of you, but I'm going with the Sabres on this one

Or if he's any good.  We still don't even know that yet.

True, but I think our team is good enough that even with consistent average-to-good goaltending we'll finish well ahead of the Oilers. And I have no doubt Lehner can provide average goaltending at the bare minimum. The issue with him is the ability to do so consistently (Health).

True, but I think our team is good enough that even with consistent average-to-good goaltending we'll finish well ahead of the Oilers. And I have no doubt Lehner can provide average goaltending at the bare minimum. The issue with him is the ability to do so consistently (Health).

I do.

I'm not saying he can't, and I'm not saying he can.  But I have not seen enough to tell one way or the other.

I do.

I'm not saying he can't, and I'm not saying he can.  But I have not seen enough to tell one way or the other.

He only had a couple bad games - the others were average to very good, IMO.  I think he's shown the ability to be average for sure and flashes of being very good.

IMHO, he has the ability to be at a minimum serviceable. The question for me is can he play 60 to 65 games?

I never totally understood the injury concern.  He had a concussion - so that's really not a concern in terms of reoccurring.  The obvious ankle injury is a concern but if we understand it better - he came back too soon and the ankle never fully healed.  After surgery and plenty of time to heal, it should be fine.  I guess I'm just not ready to say he's injury prone (not that you did) because of an injury he suffered and fought through.  If anything I'm more inclined to say the Sabres should have let it fully heal before allowing him to come back.

Edited by 7+6=13

I never totally understood the injury concern.  He had a concussion - so that's really not a concern in terms of reoccurring.  The obvious ankle injury is a concern but if we understand it better - he came back too soon and the ankle never fully healed.  After surgery and plenty of time to heal, it should be fine.  I guess I'm just not ready to say he's injury prone (not that you did) because of an injury he suffered and fought through.  If anything I'm more inclined to say the Sabres should have let it fully heal before allowing him to come back.

I am not saying he is injury prone but that fact is he has missed considerable time for various reasons over the past 2 seasons. Bad run of luck? I hope so, but I hope it ends. And once you have a serious concussion you are more susceptible to increased symptomology in the event you suffer another. It takes longer to recover. It is the same concern I have with Ennis, who by the nature of his play and size could take a big hit at anytime.

I worry about high ankle sprains. I've had two ACL surgeries, been scoped once, and wore an external fixator. Google image that!

A high ankle sprain was the hardest injury to come back from. I never did, entirely. Sample size of one.

I'd be interested in the views of physicians.

Edited by N'eo

I think the oilers will be within 5 points of the Sabres come season end.

As for the ankle sprain, the syndosmodic ligament in the upper ankle is the main culprit and plays a huge part in stability, the blood flow to the sprain is not the same as the rest of the joint (bone, etc) it also depends on what grade sprain it was. Healing time for that particular ligament is usually 6 months on average, but is easily compromised in the next year or so after the initial injury. It's not a career ender, but for a goaltender it does raise some questions going forward. In this case a break would have been better.

I think the oilers will be within 5 points of the Sabres come season end.

As for the ankle sprain, the syndosmodic ligament in the upper ankle is the main culprit and plays a huge part in stability, the blood flow to the sprain is not the same as the rest of the joint (bone, etc) it also depends on what grade sprain it was. Healing time for that particular ligament is usually 6 months on average, but is easily compromised in the next year or so after the initial injury. It's not a career ender, but for a goaltender it does raise some questions going forward. In this case a break would have been better.

Good information.  I'd imagine having the best doctors/surgeons in the world available at the very least helps.

The ankle high strain really fukced me up :wacko:

Had one too delayed for 4 months skating, but skating, swimming and biking got me over it pretty well. Best advice is get to pt took a while to get my confidence back but not been a problem in years. Edited by North Buffalo

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.