Sabres Jersey Number Countdown

Randall Flagg

Am I wrong to bristle a bit at the lumping together of Ray and Scott?

Scott seems like a uniquely interesting dude, and there's that whole All Star Game saga. But his time in Buffalo is something of a footnote.

Rob Ray is an icon of the franchise -- well, to me and many others he is anyway. Maybe not for totally honourable reasons. But some of my fondest memories from being at games involve sitting in the oranges at the old barn (I think that's where we were at least one such time) and chanting "WE WANT RAY!"

You've got consider the age gap here. Ray hasn't played for the Sabres since 02-03. Depending on Flagg's age he may have been around 10 years old (or even younger) the last time Ray wore blue and gold. He may only know him from youtube videos and from saying things like "acrost" and "no, you're right" while talking to Jeanneret on broadcasts.

You've got consider the age gap here. Ray hasn't played for the Sabres since 02-03. Depending on Flagg's age he may have been around 10 years old (or even younger) the last time Ray wore blue and gold. He may only know him from youtube videos and from saying things like "acrost" and "no, you're right" while talking to Jeanneret on broadcasts.

Youre right, but switch 10 with 8 :P

Though I did hear plenty of Ray stories from my dad, and don't plan on passing on any Scott stories.

Am I wrong to bristle a bit at the lumping together of Ray and Scott?

Scott seems like a uniquely interesting dude, and there's that whole All Star Game saga. But his time in Buffalo is something of a footnote.

Rob Ray is an icon of the franchise -- well, to me and many others he is anyway. Maybe not for totally honourable reasons. But some of my fondest memories from being at games involve sitting in the oranges at the old barn (I think that's where we were at least one such time) and chanting "WE WANT RAY!"

Thank you! I was scrambling to post!

Another goalie number! 

The Chad:

Johnson14.jpg

Steve Shields:

shieldstop5LB.jpg

Grant Fuhr:

fuhr-top5LB.jpg

Daren Puppa:

puppa.jpg

Al Smith:

smith.jpg

The rest:

Al Smith 1976-1977 David Fenyves 1983-1986 Joe Reekie 1986-1987 Jim Korn 1987 Daren Puppa 1988-1992 Grant Fuhr 1993-1995 Steve Shields 1996-1998 Bob Essensa 2002 Drew MacIntyre 2012 Matt Hackett 2014-2015 Chad Johnson 2016

Tom Barrasso:

bfbd_35.JPG?set_id=7

Clint Malarchuk:

malarchuk.jpg

Oh my, Ryan Miller:

7692770.jpg?278

ryan-miller-touque.jpg

82219041.jpg

Full list of 30s:

Joe Daley 1971 Dave Dryden 1972-1974 Gerry Desjardins 1975-1978 Rocky Farr 1975 Randy Ireland 1979 Val James 1982 Paul Harrison 1982 Tom Barrasso 1984-1989 Clint Malarchuk 1989-1992 Andrei Trefilov 1996-1997 Dwayne Roloson 1999-2000 Ryan Miller 2003-2014

Bob Corkum:

corkum_b_h.jpg

JASON POMINVILLE, SHORTHANDED! 

pominville.jpg

2006-05-13-sabres2-med.jpg

Hockey-Photo-by-Andy-Martin-Jr-31.jpg

Jake McCabe

McCabe2.jpg

The rest:

Gary Bromley 1974-1976 Don Edwards 1977 Richie Dunn 1978-1988 Mike Moller 1981 Val James 1982 Jacques Cloutier 1982 Dave Andreychuk 1983 Mal Davis 1985-1986 Jeff Parker 1987-1990 Mark Ferner 1987 Bob Corkum 1992-2002 Denis Tsygurov 1994 Scott Pearson 1995 Jason Holland 1999-2000 Vladimir Tsyplakov 2000-2001 Jaroslav Kristek 2003 Jason Pominville 2004-2013 Jake McCabe 2014-2016

28 - not a bad number at all.

Man - we sure could use a sniper like Audette on Jack's wing. 

I just went back and looked at Audette's stats, for fun - dude was probably 5' 7" and 175# (listed as 5' 8" and 190#, which, of course, means ...).

I seem to recall an interview where one of Audette and/or Rob Ray told a funny story about Ray advising Audette on the finer points of using his stick as a tool to buy space and respect throughout the league.

I just went back and looked at Audette's stats, for fun - dude was probably 5' 7" and 175# (listed as 5' 8" and 190#, which, of course, means ...).

I seem to recall an interview where one of Audette and/or Rob Ray told a funny story about Ray advising Audette on the finer points of using his stick as a tool to buy space and respect throughout the league.

Audette was our Marchand. It's true.

Audette admitted in an interview once that when he was along the boards, if an opponent was coming in to make a check, he would lower his top hand so about 4-5" of the top of his stick was exposed.  He was VERY sneaky with the butt end.  And he was pretty consistent about it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.