Sabres: Playoffs or Bust

LGR4GM

I concur

Many teams make the playoffs with average goaltending

Haven't seen enough to make that call yet. I'm not a fan of his demeanor. I like goalies with ice water in their veins not those easily agitated.

Today I heard a caller on wgr say this "How can't we be better than last year? Name me one player that will be worse than they were last year? Ennis will be better, molson has to be better, there is no one on this team who should have a worse year"... I agree 100%, if the guys who were injured or even didnt play well, at least play a little better thats 11 points right there. Also Okposo had 5 Shootout goals last season and the Sabres as a team only scored 4?? Thats crazy

Edited by EICH15

At this stage, I refuse to go with an "or bust" attitude because, well, things can happen. We're still just a blueline injury away from being super sketchy back there, not to mention the questions remaining about Lehner. However, we should absolutely be in contention for a playoff spot--I think our realistic floor (see: not the Murphy's Law floor) is a bubble playoff team. I think we can be better than that--3rd best team in the division is a realistic ceiling, barring more changes. 

Washington, Pittsburgh, Florida and Tampa Bay are the only teams I view as playoff locks next season (barring major injuries). That's two from each division, so there's one more division spot in each and two wild card spots to fight for.

I have a feeling the Rangers blueline will bounce back next season. Marc Staal, Ryan McDonagh and Dan Girardi are all better than they played last season as long as they're healthy. Their forward depth is pitiful, though, and the additions of Nathan Gerbe and Michael Grabner aren't going to change that. They are a likely playoff team, but it's not a certainty.

The Islanders had a great year and still have one of the league's best players in John Tavares, but they'll feel the losses of Kyle Okposo, Frans Nielsen and Matt Martin. They'll especially feel the loss of Okposo if they find themselves fighting with us for a playoff spot. And their goaltending situation is volatile with Halak sounding very unhappy with being supplanted by Thomas Greiss as the starter. They'll be relying on some big minutes from young guys. Shane Prince impressed after the deadline. Ryan Strome and Brock Nelson look like they're ready to be very good NHLers. Mathew Barzal could crack the lineup. Michael Dal Colle, despite looking like a total flop since being drafted fifth overall, could still surprise at the professional level. A lot of question marks there.

Philadelphia took a wild ride to get to the playoffs last year, but I imagine they'll be a little more consistent from the start. Still, they're not going to blow you away with talent. Blueline is one of the worst in the league so they'll need great seasons from Mason and Neuvirth (which will be a good battle to watch). Gostisbehere was probably the main reason for the mid-to-late-season run. Will he be a superstar again?

One of the three teams above will likely slot into the third Metro playoff spot that the Sabres can't touch, so they only need to overcome one or two of them.

Detroit will be interesting. They lost Datsyuk and replaced him with Frans Nielsen, Thomas Vanek and a jar of tears they filled after Stamkos signed back in Tampa without even meeting with them. I think Vanek is a very good addition for them because they've got a lot of playmakers on their team. Dylan Larkin looks like he's going to be a star in this league, but they don't have much top-end ability in the forward ranks beyond that. Mantha is a question mark to even make the team, Nyquist took a step back, Tatar seemed to be up and down their lineup all year and may have fallen out of favor a bit despite good numbers. Their goaltending is probably on par with Buffalo. They have a young guy they really like in Mrazek but he's no lock to step up. Their biggest need beyond replacing Pavel was to find defense and they haven't done that yet.

Looking at some non-playoff teams we'll have to keep an eye on:

Boston added David Backes and everybody laughed, but it's a great signing in the short term (long term it's laughable). He is a player with a ton of heart and experience, so I would guess he has a huge impact there. Looking at their roster I think they're a playoff team if Chara isn't a totally useless slab of meat again (decent chance he is). Their forward ranks look good but they've got zero depth on defense. Rask will need to be better for them to make the playoffs. Is Marchand really the offensive powerhouse that he seemed to be last year, though? They'll be a tough team to pass.

Carolina was in the cellar all year then just took off. They were never a threat for a playoff spot but ended up only missing by eight points. Their defense is unreal and young, but their goaltending is pitiful and they just seemed to stand pat there. They'd be a team that makes a ton of sense for Ben Bishop (and I'd fear them if they did), but I just don't see enough scoring to offset the bad goaltending. Probably the worst group of forwards among teams actually trying to be good in the league.

Montreal, regardless of perceptions on the Subban trade, will be a contender again if Carey Price returns to the top of the league. His health is a question mark, but he masks every issue that was exposed last season. The addition of Radulov is confusing considering, but he's a mystery. He could give them serious punch and Galchenyuk's continued improvement could give them a legitimate top-line center. If that's the case I think they'll be tough to pass, as well. Andrew Shaw could give them some heart and Shea Weber is still elite.

I'm not worried about Ottawa, Toronto, New Jersey or Columbus. Columbus should be way better, but they weren't able to add much to the roster. New Jersey should be better offensively with Hall, but they didn't do nearly enough to scare me.

My Eastern Conference Power Rankings after day one of free agency (aka way too early):

1. Tampa Bay

2. Washington

3. Florida

4. Pittsburgh

5. Montreal

6. New York Rangers

7. New York Islanders

8. Boston Bruins

9. Buffalo Sabres

10. Detroit Red Wings

11. Carolina Hurricanes

12. Philadelphia Flyers

13. Columbus Blue Jackets

14. New Jersey Devils

15. Ottawa Senators

16. Toronto Maple Leafs

Can't ever predict injuries or things of that sort with any degree of certainty but as others alluded health will be a major concern. We are starting to put together a legitimate NHL lineup rather than a collection of AHLers on call-ups. But, depth is going to be an issue as the system is sculpted in its entirety.

With our reliance on the progression of our young pieces and the work yet to do on depth, playoffs may or may not be in the cards. For me, it's all about the eyeball test as far as whether we are putting legit NHL talent on the ice. Last year was night and day from the last many years, and I think we have legitimate reason to be unabashedly optimistic.

Hahahahaha montreal rnaked 5th lol.

Montreal finished second in the entire NHL two seasons ago. Last season the only difference was Carey Price suffered a major injury.

Players who played more than half their regular season games in 2014-15 that aren't on today's squad: Dale Weise, PK Subban, Lars Eller, PA Parenteau, Brandon Prust, Jiri Sekac, Tom Gilbert, Sergei Gonchar

They've added Shea Weber, Alex Radulov, Jeff Petry, Andrew Shaw, Daniel Carr, Brian Flynn, Philip Danault, Torrey Mitchell and Zach Redmond.

Alex Galchenyuk is significantly better now than he was then. I don't think it's crazy to think that the second-best team in the NHL regular season two years ago returns to top-five in their conference if their goaltender is healthy (which is assumed in my power rankings).

Thanks for your useful input.

None of the moves up front matter without consistent goaltending. Murray is putting all his eggs into one basket with Robin Lehner.

Pahleese. The sabres went through 6 goalies two seasons ago and they all held their own. Whether or not its Lehner, Ullmark, Kasdorf or some UFA not signed yet, goaltending will not be an issue.

Pahleese. The sabres went through 6 goalies two seasons ago and they all held their own. Whether or not its Lehner, Ullmark, Kasdorf or some UFA not signed yet, goaltending will not be an issue.

Exactly. There's a handful of great goalies and a handful of crappy ones. The other 50 are pretty much interchangible if you look at a big enough sample size.

Lehner is our ten years here goalie. Full faith in GMTM. I am playoffs or bust. Way too much talent on this team now not to make the playoffs. So playoffs.

If bust, DD is fired after this season. This isn't a slow rebuild. We're ready to win now. If he spends months dickering to figure things out I might even fire him in January. Please DD, figure it out.

Seriously, if he tries that dump-and-chase ###### again in October, I will send WIldCard to cut him.

I'm already training him to do my bidding.

You give me a 12  6 pack and I'll hunt anyone down 

Montreal finished second in the entire NHL two seasons ago. Last season the only difference was Carey Price suffered a major injury.

Players who played more than half their regular season games in 2014-15 that aren't on today's squad: Dale Weise, PK Subban, Lars Eller, PA Parenteau, Brandon Prust, Jiri Sekac, Tom Gilbert, Sergei Gonchar

They've added Shea Weber, Alex Radulov, Jeff Petry, Andrew Shaw, Daniel Carr, Brian Flynn, Philip Danault, Torrey Mitchell and Zach Redmond.

Alex Galchenyuk is significantly better now than he was then. I don't think it's crazy to think that the second-best team in the NHL regular season two years ago returns to top-five in their conference if their goaltender is healthy (which is assumed in my power rankings).

Thanks for your useful input.

I agree they should contend, but they're so volatile it's embarrassing. A lot of those guys you named are pretty much JAGS, hell even Shaw could easily end up one, or a McGinn more likely. If Price is healthy, Weber is Weber, Galchenyuck is used correctly, and Pac has a bounce back year, they should take a playoff spot

And Toronto below CBJ? 

Edited by WildCard

You give me a 12 6 pack and I'll hunt anyone down

I agree they should contend, but they're so volatile it's embarrassing. A lot of those guys you named are pretty much JAGS, hell even Shaw could easily end up one, or a McGinn more likely. If Price is healthy, Weber is Weber, Galchenyuck is used correctly, and Pac has a bounce back year, they should take a playoff spot

And Toronto below CBJ?

The fact that the players they have lost and added are JAGs is essentially my point. The key pieces are still in place aside from the Subban-Weber swap.

And it's a thread about the Sabres playoff chances - I don't have many thoughts about Columbus vs Toronto aside from knowing that Toronto doesn't have enough veteran talent in place to matter.

It's a volatile situation, but I think they're in a better spot than people think they are (no credit goes to Bergevin, tho, he's an idiot).

The fact that the players they have lost and added are JAGs is essentially my point. The key pieces are still in place aside from the Subban-Weber swap.

And it's a thread about the Sabres playoff chances - I don't have many thoughts about Columbus vs Toronto aside from knowing that Toronto doesn't have enough veteran talent in place to matter.

It's a volatile situation, but I think they're in a better spot than people think they are (no credit goes to Bergevin, tho, he's an idiot).

I certainly don't discount them. In the end, I think you have the Sabres right where I would pin them, somewhere from 7th-9th. 

But still, come on Hoss, you put out a full list, I'm going to give you for it somewhere  ;)

Sure, but 68 of those games were with goaltenders with significant (150+ games played) experience. The team won 2 of the 14 games with the other goaltenders that had little to no experience. 

Today I heard a caller on wgr say this "How can't we be better than last year? Name me one player that will be worse than they were last year? Ennis will be better, molson has to be better, there is no one on this team who should have a worse year"... I agree 100%, if the guys who were injured or even didnt play well, at least play a little better thats 11 points right there. Also Okposo had 5 Shootout goals last season and the Sabres as a team only scored 4?? Thats crazy

Ennis had a serious concussion so there's no way you can count on him......Moulson can absolutely be worse,,,,

We're basically talking about an 11 point jump from last year. Supremely doable. A lot will hinge on Lehner and whoever is the backup.

The goaltending last season went beyond my expectations even with Lehner injury. If it can repeat that then I think k we have chance for sure otherwise a near miss. Still could use another defenseman and sign Vessey.

Not at all. They finished 10 points higher than they should have last year. And they're not any better.

Sorry. They may indeed not be a playoff team but to say on paper they are not better? Ridiculous.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.