Ten years ago today...

sodbuster

... the slug first reared its ugly head.

You thought you could eventually forget about it, but I won't let it slip into the past. There isn't enough salt in the world to kill the memory of that abomination.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/father-buffaslug-meet-man-designed-buffalo-sabres-most-132535273.html

... the slug first reared its ugly head.

You thought you could eventually forget about it, but I won't let it slip into the past. There isn't enough salt in the world to kill the memory of that abomination.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/father-buffaslug-meet-man-designed-buffalo-sabres-most-132535273.html

The ONLY thing I liked about that uniform was the return to a type of blue and gold. 

Edited by GoPre

Wow, what an interesting article. 

I have always said that I understand the buffaslug. I didn't say like. I get why it came into existence. Finding out that the designer was 25 at the time... well, that makes even more sense. From his fairly recently graduated designers perspective, it hits all the points it *technically* should- simplification, correct colors, minimal angles, smooth, aggressive tilt. But it doesn't stand well on its own, and has lost the entire feel of the franchise. 

Biggest reason being, the original Sabres logo is one of the best logos out there. Asking this kid to redesign the wheel, he went outside the box, and ended up with a gelatinous toupee. 

I feel for the guy. One of my profs in college designed logos for pro sports teams- he spoke once about how hard it is to have thick skin over backlash on that sort of thing. 

Next article... the designer(s) of the turd jersey..... 

My mother, bless her, got me a messenger bag last christmas with the sluggalo on it. As she has zero knowledge of sports let alone Buffalo Sabres culture, I didn't have the heart to tell her. I still have it, tags attached... 

I'm ashamed to admit that my home is not totally slug free to this day. A misguided family member once bought me a large slug car door magnet and it still adorns the side of the small beer refrigerator in my man cave.

Don't be ashamed. As bad as it was, it was once our team's crest. Also, it was pretty much the only option if you wanted something Sabres for quite a while.

Owner of 2 slug t-shirts, one reebok fitted slug hat that is so worn the the colors are bleeding. And one slug zip up hoodie, that is my favorite piece of clothing and once the temperature drops below 50 I wear it around the house all day every day. #sluglife

I roundly refused to acknowledge the Slug at the time. I don't regret my choice. The Slug turned out to define a really disappointing era of Sabres hockey that I wish I could forget.

Same here. I never purchased a single thing with the slug on it and told my family and friends not to purchase anything for me with the logo either. I just bought goathead and/or throwback items off ebay with the original logo.

I actually like the design with legs :P

The standing version with legs wasn't terrible.  The other 100 versions all were though.

When that thing leaked, I was one of the PO'ed people who said he'd never buy anything with the slug on it.  And I don't think I ever did.

Can we fix our current logo?  Some maniac put a silver outline around *literally every element*: the buffalo, the motion line above the buffalo, the motion line below the buffalo, both swords and their hilts, the inside of the gold border, and the outside of the gold border.  There are so many silver outlines that they literally collide with one another at the tips of the swords and their hilts, the top motion line and the buffalo, the buffalo and the sword blade on the right. 

nhl-buffalo-sabres-logo-on-the-gogo_1290

The standing version with legs wasn't terrible.  The other 100 versions all were though.

When that thing leaked, I was one of the PO'ed people who said he'd never buy anything with the slug on it.  And I don't think I ever did.

Can we fix our current logo?  Some maniac put a silver outline around *literally every element*: the buffalo, the motion line above the buffalo, the motion line below the buffalo, both swords and their hilts, the inside of the gold border, and the outside of the gold border.  There are so many silver outlines that they literally collide with one another at the tips of the swords and their hilts, the top motion line and the buffalo, the buffalo and the sword blade on the right. 

nhl-buffalo-sabres-logo-on-the-gogo_1290

They had to do that in order to keep gray as one of the colors they are allowed to use. Otherwise we wouldn't get to keep those awesome gray armpit stains. Hence the extra gray piping.

Brother in law bless his heart bought me a slug hat. I still haven't worn it to this day. If there was an ounce of something redeeming in that design the hat might be worth something one day. As it is now I'm thinking of giving it to someone down at the homeless shelter. I also recieved a slug shirt on that same birthday from someone else turning the screw. I did try that one on.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.