We kicked ass this weekend.

Eleven

Buffalo is the third-poorest major city in the country

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/news/2014/01/02/buffalos-poverty-rate-tops-30.html

Wonder if any of the draft attendees or media types took a little stroll a couple of blocks down Perry Street.

that was quite dumb

I know. Murray's Rats is usually a very good poster.

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/news/2014/01/02/buffalos-poverty-rate-tops-30.html

Wonder if any of the draft attendees or media types took a little stroll a couple of blocks down Perry Street.

Really so your looking for reasons to put down Buffalo. Why even bother being a fan if this is how your going to treat positive news about the city

Buffalo is on the up swing .. Take a look around. Everytime I come back home to visit I am blown away at the progress happening

Fantastic. Get the engraver ready -- for Terry's tombstone.

HE THREW A NICE PARTY

image.jpeg

I know. Murray's Rats is usually a very good poster.

And I'm sure they all took a walk to East Philly when the draft was there. And hung out in Jersey a few years ago. Come on now.

I'm not sure what the point of this sort of thing is. 

You could start a massive OT thread about societal inequalities and the structuring/distribution of wealth, and take that sort of stuff over there. It'd be fine and well to do so.

The discrete matter of whether our resident billionaire sports owner is giving Buffalo a good name -- mostly in the world of other billionaire sports owners (in a fairly niche sport) and the media that follows them -- is all that's at issue here. And, in that regard, the Pegulas appear to have hit a home run. As much as that may pain some.

image.jpeg

And I'm sure they all took a walk to East Philly when the draft was there. And hung out in Jersey a few years ago. Come on now.

West, actually. :) East Philly is a river, and then Camden NJ (which is also turning around along the river). The area where the arenas are in Philly isn't *too* bad, although I'd be in Yellow alert walking around there all the time. within a mile or two to the west are neighborhoods that I'd avoid driving through and certainly not walk through.

I talked to some out of town people on Saturday about the draft and the general consensus was it was 10x better than Florida last year but a few mild complaints from a couple team guys who had to stay out in Amherst because there weren't enough hotels downtown. 

Interestingly everyone loved the Nashville draft because of all the cool live music acts they got to play in and around the event. 

Yes, remember the Steelers visiting that year, we made them wear the white Jersies and then kicked their butt! Jerry Butler caught a touch down reaching around Mel blounts helmet. Mel Blount, that's right I think. Talkin Proud!

I remember that one.

Pre-injury Butler is still, IMHO, the best WR I've ever seen on the Bills.

Ah, what might have been.

It was the dumbest thing we ever did.  It reeked of insecurity.

Yes indeed.  And so cheesy.

I'm not sure what the point of this sort of thing is. 

You could start a massive OT thread about societal inequalities and the structuring/distribution of wealth, and take that sort of stuff over there. It'd be fine and well to do so.

The discrete matter of whether our resident billionaire sports owner is giving Buffalo a good name -- mostly in the world of other billionaire sports owners (in a fairly niche sport) and the media that follows them -- is all that's at issue here. And, in that regard, the Pegulas appear to have hit a home run. As much as that may pain some.

If you have links from the BSOM (Billionaire Sports Owners Media) with pro-Buffalo quotes, by all means, fling them now.

Just trying to keep things in perspective. Does "that sort of stuff" offend you? Should it be tucked away in a special room where the lights are kept off?

Are you offended by the childhood poverty rate in the city? It's 50.6 percent.

Fantastic. Get the engraver ready -- for Terry's tombstone.

HE THREW A NICE PARTY

It must kill you.

If you have links from the BSOM (Billionaire Sports Owners Media) with pro-Buffalo quotes, by all means, fling them now.

Just trying to keep things in perspective. Does "that sort of stuff" offend you? Should it be tucked away in a special room where the lights are kept off?

If TP never got involved in Buffalo you'd have no idea, or cared, who he was. But because the guy is trying to do some good, he's earned your wrath. Ever hear the expression 'no good deed goes unpunished?' 

I'm not going to data mine for you. I was swamped Thursday and Friday, and then out of town over the weekend. But every time I scrolled through Twitter, I was seeing lots of verified content (Tweets, RTs) from owners, FO types, and media about how Buffalo had done a really swell job with the event. (There was some griping about limited cabs and the absence of Uber.)

Just trying to keep things in perspective. 

I don't think that adds much perspective to the matter. I think it's a gratuitous attempt to rain on a parade.

Does "that sort of stuff" offend you? 

Feck off with this. 

Should it be tucked away in a special room where the lights are kept off?

I suggested that maybe it belonged in another dedicated thread. Because it's such an enormous, awful, confounding problem that, in theory, it could be dropped like an anvil on any speck of gladness or good news.

I live in this city and devote much of my free time volunteering with kids who also live in my city, and live in poverty. 

I tend not to devote my energy to being offended (and then reveling in the sanctimony that so often follows); I get off my duff and do what I can to improve the situation.

Edited by That Aud Smell

See, Aud is a gentleman.  I might've just called PA's bile what it was -- trolling -- and moved on.

more like a fish!

an easily-caught hooked one, at that.

it's okay. i like being hooked every now and then. i enjoy that sensation of springing forth from the water's surface and shaking the hook free from my mouth.

Edited by That Aud Smell

See, Aud is a gentleman.  I might've just called PA's bile what it was -- trolling -- and moved on.

Ah, yes, the accusation of trolling, the last bastion of SabreSpace.

more like a fish!

an easily-caught hooked one, at that.

it's okay. i like being hooked every now and then. i enjoy that sensation of springing forth from the water's surface and shaking the hook free from my mouth.

Hey, pal, your mouth will be free when I say so.

If TP never got involved in Buffalo you'd have no idea, or cared, who he was. But because the guy is trying to do some good, he's earned your wrath. Ever hear the expression 'no good deed goes unpunished?' 

Everything isn't about Terry. Eleven said "Buffalo is back." The poverty rate is a fair response. The bigger issue of first world excess blocks from a third world neighborhood is an obvious and fair one. Nothing to do with Terry.

Hey, pal, your mouth will be free when I say so.

:w00t:

This is sig worthy, and oh so appropriate well beyond the context in which it was used. Ultimate mic drop.

Now, now. No need to encourage such blathering. (Thanks.)

Everything isn't about Terry. Eleven said "Buffalo is back." The poverty rate is a fair response. The bigger issue of first world excess blocks from a third world neighborhood is an obvious and fair one. Nothing to do with Terry.

Not unfair. My point was that this thread is, more or less, about the Pegulas and how things went from a PR standpoint during the draft.

And that this thread is not so much about the issues surrounding persistent and seemingly incurable poverty in Buffalo, which, as you note, can be especially difficult to accept (or look past) in the face of a revival for a select few being passed off as a city-wide revival.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.