Free Agency Frenzy 2016

Brawndo

McKenzie/Lucic: Rumor out of EDM all week was seven-year deal, $42M. Unconfirmed rumor today could be as high as $6.5M per. #Oilers

Actually, on 2nd thought, that may not be that bad for them. He could thrive there

Edited by WildCard

He is a deterrent on the ice to those wishing to take liberties with Jack or Sam.  

Lucic is actually very good possession wise and overall. Will Kane outscore him? Probably. But with McDavid in the middle, all Lucic has to do is play the boards and go to the net. I don't think he's there to protect McDavid

5 years doesn't seem too bad to me. What is he? 28? He's a really good player.

He is, but is he that much better than Ryan Callahan was when he signed that monster extension turned albatross? I don't believe so. Guys around that talent level really do tend to obey the aging curve.

Lucic is actually very good possession wise and overall. Will Kane outscore him? Probably. But with McDavid in the middle, all Lucic has to do is play the boards and go to the net. I don't think he's there to protect McDavid

Hall couldn't do that? This is a protection move. And a good one. Any offensive contributions are icing.

He is, but is he that much better than Ryan Callahan was when he signed that monster extension turned albatross? I don't believe so. Guys around that talent level really do tend to obey the aging curve.

PSA: HERO Charts aren't the end-all be-all that they are often inferred to be, but here are the two compared in their contract years:

UbETmWc.jpg

PSA: HERO Charts aren't the end-all be-all that they are often inferred to be, but here are the two compared in their contract years:

UbETmWc.jpg

That's a larger difference than I remember; thought Callahan was more solidly in the 2nd line territory on those metrics.

Hall couldn't do that? This is a protection move. And a good one. Any offensive contributions are icing.

Just because they have a similar possession style doesn't mean they play the same game at all. Protection moves don't cost you $6.5M Edited by WildCard

You miss the point WC. The days of John Scott and Bob Probert and hopefully Raffi Torres are waning. The designated enforcer is done. But you still need a deterrent. That deterrent must be able to contribute offensively or defensively but still be a deterrent. That's Lucics value. The Oil have better players in their system but not as intimidating. Yes he will play a gritty game but make no mistake, Chia wants no more clavicle issues. I think he is being way overpaid for his actual value. But it makes sense if McDavid plays full seasons.