OT: Memorial Day 2016

Neo

Allow me to express heartfelt appreciation to the men, women and families who've served our country, especially to those who've passed. My deepest gratitude goes to those who gave their lives while serving. I am forever in their debt.

Edited by N'eo

Especially, because it's Memorial Day. Every day should be Veterans Day. I like that today is a day set aside to honor those who died in service to their country. Still, there's a lot of mixing between the two days, which is fine. It's also appropriate today to honor the men and women currently serving.

My brother in law served two tours - one in Iraq and the other in Afghanistan. He came home from both.

He's pretty resolute: Don't thank me for my service today. Remember those who died serving.

The holiday used to be called Decoration Day. A day to festoon the graves of the dead with flowers, etc.

Allow me to express heartfelt appreciation to the men, women and families who've served our country, especially to those who've passed. My deepest gratitude goes to those who gave their lives while serving. I am forever in their debt.

Silly Neo, didn't you get the memo? Appreciation towards those who've served is so 2010. It's not like they're obscure 4th line journeymen, of course if they were we'd have three pages filled. But we're not talking about obscure 4th line journeymen, just those who've served their country, and the sad truth is we're too far removed from 9/11 for most people to give a sh!t.

As a retired Soldier, thank you for your sincere appreciation.

Especially, because it's Memorial Day. Every day should be Veterans Day. I like that today is a day set aside to honor those who died in service to their country. Still, there's a lot of mixing between the two days, which is fine. It's also appropriate today to honor the men and women currently serving.

Absolutely.

Respect & thanks to all those that have served & are serving. Condolences, respect, & thanks to those that gave the ultimate sacrifice & to their kin.

Absolutely.

Respect & thanks to all those that have served & are serving. Condolences, respect, & thanks to those that gave the ultimate sacrifice & to their kin.

No, it isn't.  Today is for the fallen.  We have another day in November for that.  This is a very, very important distinction.  Today is to remember our war dead and that is IT.

No, it isn't.  Today is for the fallen.  We have another day in November for that.  This is a very, very important distinction.  Today is to remember our war dead and that is IT.

So you feel it important enough to drop in and clarify for everyone that this day is ONLY for those who have fallen, in a thread created to show appreciation for those who have fallen, yet fail to show appreciation for those who have fallen.

If this thread was for a 4th line winger from the 80's I'm sure your warmest condolences would have went out to his friends and family.

I knew I could count on Aud and you to prove my point, stay classy gentlemen...

First, please: Call me Smell.

Second, I fail to see how Eleven or I are failing to exhibit class. Perhaps you have an expansive understanding of that concept.

Third, this sort of reaction illustrates the point I made above about how difficult it can be to address matters like this.

I couldn't disagree with you more, Hank. This is a hockey board, so it makes sense that hockey is discussed. Both Eleven and *Smell are correct that Memorial Day is for the fallen. I don't understand why the snark is needed. My unit lost plenty of men, as has my family, and I would never feel the need to comment as you just did, especially in response to two people trying to make sure the day is honoring who it is supposed to honor. All you have done is bring negativity to a thread that honors the fallen.

Edited by IrwinNelson

So you feel it important enough to drop in and clarify for everyone that this day is ONLY for those who have fallen, in a thread created to show appreciation for those who have fallen, yet fail to show appreciation for those who have fallen.

If this thread was for a 4th line winger from the 80's I'm sure your warmest condolences would have went out to his friends and family.

I knew I could count on Aud and you to prove my point, stay classy gentlemen...

This is a hockey forum. It's function is to talk about the fourth line journeymen. This is where you do it. It's the best venue for that.

Some people feel it is more effective to memorialize those who gave their last by going to functions IRL in their community, and you have no idea what Eleven and Mr Smell did yesterday away from the glow of their monitors. Sure, I didn't come rushing over here to type thanks to our war dead, but what I did do yesterday was attend the dedication of a veteran's memorial that I helped build and fund. But you don't see me busting in here to take a self righteous stand.

This is all ignoring the fact that those two are, in fact, correct. Veterans Day is for those who have served, Armed Forces Day is for those currently serving, and Memorial Day is for those who made the ultimate sacrifice. To mix any of those could make us lose focus and forget the men and women that the day is for.

what I did do yesterday was attend the dedication of a veteran's memorial that I helped build and fund. But you don't see me busting in here to take a self righteous stand.

Good on you.

This is all ignoring the fact that those two are, in fact, correct. Veterans Day is for those who have served, Armed Forces Day is for those currently serving, and Memorial Day is for those who made the ultimate sacrifice. To mix any of those could make us lose focus and forget the men and women that the day is for.

I appreciate you articulating it that way - it captures better what I was trying to say.

I couldn't disagree with you more, Hank. This is a hockey board, so it makes sense that hockey is discussed. Both Eleven and *Smell are correct that Memorial Day is for the fallen. I don't understand why the snark is needed. My unit lost plenty of men, as has my family, and I would never feel the need to comment as you just did, especially in response to two people trying to make sure the day is honoring who it is supposed to honor. All you have done is bring negativity to a thread that honors the fallen.

Sorry to hear that, sir.

First: Point of my first post was that the further we get from 9/11 the less people care. Feel free to search Memorial Day threads of years past and prove me wrong.

Second: this place may have started out as a hockey forum, but so much more is discussed. Many of the more popular threads have nothing to do with hockey. Referring to this place as a hockey forum is an insult to the message board community this place has evolved into.

Third: I re-read my second post. I stand by it. Snark justified. Disagree if you wish, zero given.

First: Point of my first post was that the further we get from 9/11 the less people care. Feel free to search Memorial Day threads of years past and prove me wrong.

Second: this place may have started out as a hockey forum, but so much more is discussed. Many of the more popular threads have nothing to do with hockey. Referring to this place as a hockey forum is an insult to the message board community this place has evolved into.

Third: I re-read my second post. I stand by it. Snark justified. Disagree if you wish, zero ###### given.

First: Here ya go! The only thread for Memorial Day that shows up in the search. 

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/23391-ot-fitting-movie-for-memorial-day-weekend/?hl=memorial

Second: Just because many threads don't have to do with hockey, doesn't mean this isn't a hockey forum. Myself, and I'm sure many others, don't participate in non-hockey threads. Saying SabreSpace is a hockey forum is an insult to no one. The fact that the members don't always speak about hockey says more about the posters and the community than the board. There is a reason threads not hockey related are marked [off-topic].

Third: Would you prefer people act disingenuous and march up and down the street singing "Yankee Doodle?" You yourself made no mention of respecting the fallen, you merely complained others were not.

There is a growing divide both within the veteran community and between the veteran community and civilians. People like you further the divide of both groups.  

Thank you.....

You can't possibly be saying that it was inappropriate yesterday to honor those currently serving. I want the distinction to be clear and the proper focus to be applied, but there's no way Memorial Day will ever ignore our living veterans and those currently serving. Nor will Veterans Day ever ignore the fallen, or, for that matter, those who will one day be veterans.

Apologies for derailing the thread.

You didn't. I did, I guess. Eleven really took it off the tracks.

By the way, May 21 was Armed Forces Day. I'm a little embarrassed to say I didn't know it. Hank probably has a point, but it's just the nature of the beast. Firefighters and cops feel unappreciated too. I remember how flag sales went crazy right after 9/11. Now you probably couldn't give one away.

I want the distinction to be clear and the proper focus to be applied, but there's no way Memorial Day will ever ignore our living veterans and those currently serving. Nor will Veterans Day ever ignore the fallen, or, for that matter, those who will one day be veterans.

For me, the first part of that doesn't square with the rest.

I want to tread lightly here, but I think there's good reason for people to resist having Memorial Day pull "double" or "triple duty," if you will, and to insist that it be focused solely on remembering and honoring those who paid the ultimate sacrifice. That is not in any way intended to disrespect those who serve or who have served.

Debbie Lee, whose son Marc was a Navy SEAL killed in Iraq ten years ago and who founded the Mighty Warriors foundation (I may have the name wrong), was quoted in my Twitter feed over the weekend as follows: "Often times [on Memorial Day] people mistakenly recognize and thank all of those who have served. Veterans Day is the National Holiday when we do that. I’ve dedicated my life to honoring and thanking our troops 24/7, 364 days of the year, but Memorial Day is for those who died in war."

I think it tends to diminish or dilute the gravity of the day if we allow it to become more of an all-purpose armed services day. And I think that's what's happening out there, in a lot of places and with a lot of people.

By the way, May 21 was Armed Forces Day. I'm a little embarrassed to say I didn't know it. Hank probably has a point, but it's just the nature of the beast. Firefighters and cops feel unappreciated too. I remember how flag sales went crazy right after 9/11. Now you probably couldn't give one away.

I had a moving conversation with my kids yesterday about how, in my view, the first responders who died that day should properly be remembered in connection with Memorial Day. I'm not sure that's the right (or commonly held) view of it, but it seems right to me.

You can't possibly be saying that it was inappropriate yesterday to honor those currently serving. I want the distinction to be clear and the proper focus to be applied, but there's no way Memorial Day will ever ignore our living veterans and those currently serving. Nor will Veterans Day ever ignore the fallen, or, for that matter, those who will one day be veterans.

You didn't. I did, I guess. Eleven really took it off the tracks.

First, get off the high horse.

Second, yes, I can be saying that, and this is why:

I want to tread lightly here, but I think there's good reason for people to resist having Memorial Day pull "double" or "triple duty," if you will, and to insist that it be focused solely on remembering and honoring those who paid the ultimate sacrifice. That is not in any way intended to disrespect those who serve or who have served.

Debbie Lee, whose son Marc was a Navy SEAL killed in Iraq ten years ago and who founded the Mighty Warriors foundation (I may have the name wrong), was quoted in my Twitter feed over the weekend as follows: "Often times [on Memorial Day] people mistakenly recognize and thank all of those who have served. Veterans Day is the National Holiday when we do that. I’ve dedicated my life to honoring and thanking our troops 24/7, 364 days of the year, but Memorial Day is for those who died in war."

I think it tends to diminish or dilute the gravity of the day if we allow it to become more of an all-purpose armed services day. And I think that's what's happening out there, in a lot of places and with a lot of people.

I had a moving conversation with my kids yesterday about how, in my view, the first responders who died that day should properly be remembered in connection with Memorial Day. I'm not sure that's the right (or commonly held) view of it, but it seems right to me.

It is a day for remembering that mothers lost sons.  Husbands lost wives.  Sisters lost brothers.  Children lost parents.  All in the service of their country.

It is not a day for "thank you for your service" across the board.  Again, we have a day for that, and I'm glad we do, but I am not diluting Memorial Day.

I've said all I will on this topic.  

For me personally it has to do with the seemingly never ending stream of BS "support our troops" moments that pervade daily life now. Every sporting event now is some opportunity for a big corporation to ask us to thank a soldier for their service. It's embarrassing for me as a civilian, because I know that our vets aren't getting the support they actually need in terms of medical care, financial assistance, etc. Thank a vet, let them know you care! What a sham. This country doesn't really care about its vets.

I like Memorial Day as a break from this non-stop stream of lip-service and uncomfortable praise for people who have served. I want the people who have died in service to have their own day. I don't want them lumped in with everyone else. I wouldn't be thanking my grandfather or any of my friends on Memorial Day. I don't think they'd be comfortable with that. 

I'm a little worn out on all the fake patriotic BS. I want this stuff to mean something again. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.