OT: Memorial Day 2016

Neo

Eat a bag of moose knuckles?

If Louie CK has taught me anything (and he has), I believe you meant "suck a bag of d1cks."

Actually, scrap both of those in this setting. We generally *do* (or should) give a funk if people disagree with us on this board - that's why we choose to engage in discourse and debate here.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Eat a bag of moose knuckles?

If Louie CK has taught me anything (and he has), I believe you meant "suck a bag of d1cks."

Actually, scrap both of those in this setting. We generally *do* (or should) give a funk if people disagree with us on this board - that's why we choose to engage in discourse and debate here.

Who doesn't like moose knuckles?

Fair enough that the NFL isn't the only brand to wrap itself in the flag. And, as I said above, I have no issue with DoD advertising with whomever it likes.

Brands wrap themselves in lots of things. How do you make your generational draft pick look like a good guy? Sorry, couldn't resist.

I'm just wondering what the average politically correct Memorial Day parade would like. Can't have Legion or VFW floats, can't have walking and riding veterans, can't show off the Disabled Vets vehicle that the community paid for... the vets get rounds of applause in appreciation of their service, and that should be in November.

Another mini controversy surrounding this day is the practice of tossing candy to the kids from various vehicles in the parade. How dare they! The children should be sobbing into Kleenexes. Cliche alert: it's what these men and women died for. What better way to honor them. I say the ladies of the auxiliaries should be throwing beads! (Or catching them. Whatever. You get the point (s).)

Edited by PASabreFan

Brands wrap themselves in lots of things. How do you make your generational draft pick look like a good guy? Sorry, couldn't resist.

You had to know I thought of that in connection with this.

Query: How would people feel if they came to find out that Roswell Park paid the Sabres for those touching visits by Jack Eichel?

Roswell Park is, of course, free to advertise with whomever it chooses. And it has good reason to advertise its excellence and available services.

I'm just wondering what the average politically correct Memorial Day parade would like. Can't have Legion or VFW floats, can't have walking and riding veterans, can't show off the Disabled Vets vehicle that the community paid for... the vets get rounds of applause in appreciation of their service, and that should be in November.

My take has always been that everyone who marches or watches is there to honour and remember those who died serving their country.

Another mini controversy surrounding this day is the practice of tossing candy to the kids from various vehicles in the parade. How dare they! The children should be sobbing into Kleenexes. Cliche alert: it's what these men and women died for. What better way to honor them. I say the ladies of the auxiliaries should be throwing beads! (Or catching them. Whatever. You get the point (s).)

I've heard that the candy thing is becoming an issue. As a parent who's had young kids at those parades, I would not mind seeing that practice retired. 

Edited by That Aud Smell

You had to know I thought of that in connection with this.

Query: How would people feel if they came to find out that Roswell Park paid the Sabres for those touching visits by Jack Eichel?

Didn't they? Don't they pay to be an official sponsor of the Buffalo Sabres?

Didn't they? Don't they pay to be an official sponsor of the Buffalo Sabres?

Hmm. They definitely have a "partnership."

What makes you think that Roswell Park pays the Sabres in order to receive the treatment it does from the franchise?

Fwiw, Roswell Park was a contributing sponsor of the Buffalo Sabres Foundation's golf tournament.

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=773023

In general, though, a place like RPCI is usually looking to an outfit like the Sabres for in-kind donations like Hockey Fights Cancer night, player visits, etc.

The fact that RPCI will turn around and throw $1000, $10,000 (or whatever) to sponsor a tee box is small potatoes when compared to the other stuff it receives from the Sabres -- presumably at no cost.

You know, the way the Buffalo Bills were presumably honouring our service men and women without looking for money in return.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Memorial Day parades?

Parades?

Really?

Yeah, my niece was in one.  Mortifying.  

On the other hand, the memorial service at the National Mall is beautiful, solemn, and touching.  If anyone is ever in DC on Memorial Day, I highly recommend it.  And bring kleenex.

Yeah, my niece was in one. Mortifying.

On the other hand, the memorial service at the National Mall is beautiful, solemn, and touching. If anyone is ever in DC on Memorial Day, I highly recommend it. And bring kleenex.

It is also a must to see the changing of the guard ceremony at the tomb of the unknown soldier in Arlington. Any day of the year, rain or shine. I cry every time.

Parades on Memorial Day are downright disrespectful, IMO, and couldn't miss the mark by a wider margin. Then again, these types of ceremonies are about us, the living, far more than they are about the departed.

Edited by K-9

It is also a must to see the changing of the guard ceremony at the tomb of the unknown soldier in Arlington. Any day of the year, rain or shine. I cry every time.

I've been to the Tomb of the Unknown five times, and could not agree more: Tears every time.

Parades on Memorial Day are downright disrespectful, IMO, and couldn't miss the mark by a wider margin. Then again, these types of ceremonies are about us, the living, far more than they are about the departed.

I hadn't really stopped to consider this until now.

A parade could be done respectfully, but most of them seem not to be done respectfully.

If the only music heard during the procession were 'Taps' played on a bugle, I might condone the idea of a "parade" on Memorial Day. That might even be powerful. How soon before the spectators grow tired of it though?

If the only music heard during the procession were 'Taps' played on a bugle, I might condone the idea of a "parade" on Memorial Day. That might even be powerful. How soon before the spectators grow tired of it though?

That's exactly what I was envisioning.  Some veterans, actives, and maybe people who lost someone important to them in the service could march to a war memorial, Taps is played while the flag is lowered, a wreath is laid, flag is raised back up, people disperse.  I'd go to something like that.  That's what some countries do on Remembrance Day.

That's exactly what I was envisioning.  Some veterans, actives, and maybe people who lost someone important to them in the service could march to a war memorial, Taps is played while the flag is lowered, a wreath is laid, flag is raised back up, people disperse.  I'd go to something like that.  That's what some countries do on Remembrance Day.

To me, that has more of the funereal feel I think the solemnity of the occasion demands. Perhaps I'm too fixated on the word "parade" and the hoopla I attach to it. You know, marching bands, etc. That just ain't right. 

Two points. I'm sure there are Veterans Day parades, but the weather in November makes them very iffy in most of the country. People won't show up, and you can't expect the older vets to be out there in the cold. So the Memorial Day parade understandably serves double duty. Also, for better or for worse, the thing that draws kids to these things is the candy and the fire trucks and the motorcycles and the soldiers. If that gives the community at large the chance to impress upon them the meaning of the day, then mission accomplished. Most parades are followed by solemn ceremonies. K-9's and Eleven's vision of a Memorial Day parade is downright maudlin and very few of the men and women who died in service to this country would smile down upon it like George Carlin in that famous bit.

Again, I like the distinction between Memorial Day and Veterans Day. I want the formal part of the day to remember it. I want more folks to understand the difference between the days. But in the end common sense should prevail. You can honor the war dead by honoring the living veterans and servicemen and women. You can honor them by having an enjoyable and patriotic parade. I sure as heck am not going to tell people not to applaud the last living Jewish World War II vet in my town when he lays a wreath and proudly salutes.

Two points. I'm sure there are Veterans Day parades, but the weather in November makes them very iffy in most of the country. People won't show up, and you can't expect the older vets to be out there in the cold. So the Memorial Day parade understandably serves double duty. Also, for better or for worse, the thing that draws kids to these things is the candy and the fire trucks and the motorcycles and the soldiers. If that gives the community at large the chance to impress upon them the meaning of the day, then mission accomplished. Most parades are followed by solemn ceremonies. K-9's and Eleven's vision of a Memorial Day parade is downright maudlin and very few of the men and women who died in service to this country would smile down upon it like George Carlin in that famous bit.

Again, I like the distinction between Memorial Day and Veterans Day. I want the formal part of the day to remember it. I want more folks to understand the difference between the days. But in the end common sense should prevail. You can honor the war dead by honoring the living veterans and servicemen and women. You can honor them by having an enjoyable and patriotic parade. I sure as heck am not going to tell people not to applaud the last living Jewish World War II vet in my town when he lays a wreath and proudly salutes.

It's not maudlin, it's solemn. As befits the occasion. Maudlin is what sad people crying in their beer are. 

People cheering for an old Jewish veteran laying a wreath and saluting are out of line. They would probably cheer at the changing of the guard ceremony I mentioned earlier. There's a time and a place for that. Solemn occasions such as remembering our war dead is not that time or place. 

It's not maudlin, it's solemn. As befits the occasion. Maudlin is what sad people crying in their beer are. 

People cheering for an old Jewish veteran laying a wreath and saluting are out of line. They would probably cheer at the changing of the guard ceremony I mentioned earlier. There's a time and a place for that. Solemn occasions such as remembering our war dead is not that time or place. 

Tough crowd, tough crowd. No one cheered. It was a spontaneous moment of respectful applause. (I did start the wave, but it petered out when it came around to the vets in wheelchairs. Slackers.)

Tough crowd, tough crowd. No one cheered. It was a spontaneous moment of respectful applause. (I did start the wave, but it petered out when it came around to the vets in wheelchairs. Slackers.)

No one cheered, just applauded. I see. Spontaneous or not, it was out of line for the occasion. I'm not saying they are evil people; I get they felt great affection for the man and wanted to show it. But that wasn't the time or place. Nothing more to say than that. 

He's laying a wreath for the people who already died.  You're using Memorial Day to be a trolling jerk.

And if you think you're not, even for a second, refer to your Labatt Blue fishing commercial.

PA, this is you at your absolute worst.

Edited by Eleven

He's laying a wreath for the people who already died.  You're using Memorial Day to be a trolling jerk.

And it you think you're not, even for a second, refer to your Labatt Blue fishing commercial.

PA, this is you at your absolute worst.

And you're a pompous ass. The fishing commercial was clearly in your response to your trolling. You can't possibly believe most of the things you've written in this thread, the most bizarre of which was that it's inappropriate on Memorial Day to honor our currently serving military members.

I was there. The applause was for the veteran. He's about 300 years old, can barely walk, struggled over the grass, laid the wreath and straightened up ramrod to smartly salute.

Someone needs to play taps on this thread.

And you're a pompous ass. The fishing commercial was clearly in your response to your trolling. You can't possibly believe most of the things you've written in this thread, the most bizarre of which was that it's inappropriate on Memorial Day to honor our currently serving military members.

I was there. The applause was for the veteran. He's about 300 years old, can barely walk, struggled over the grass, laid the wreath and straightened up ramrod to smartly salute.

Someone needs to play taps on this thread.

He saluted to the dead, you dumb ######.

I've already said that I have stated what I will state regarding military who are living.

Someone needs to play taps on your participation on this board...again.

Edited by Eleven

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.