Gord Downie has terminal brain cancer

darksabre

Awful, awful news.

For the vast majority of Americans, this news won't register much. Not so in and around Buffalo. When it comes to music, this town has often been an extension of southern Ontario.

I'd recently fiddled with my location on my profile. I'm switching back.

Confession: I have only passing familiarity with the Hip. Love them just the same (the limited amount that I know about them). But it was folks around here who told me that my choice of this town's name was the name of a Hip song. A most excellent Hip song.

2016 is fairly littered with the lives of beloved musical luminaries.

Edited by That Aud Smell

I'm the product of a border town so I am as familiar with Canadian as I am with American. T. Hip have been a huge part of my life. One of the dozen times I've seen them was at the Aud in Roch. Someone threw a bra on stage. He hunches like an ape goes over to pick it up and give it a sniff. I loved every minute of every show. I will feel lost in a world with no Gord Downey.

Spent my lunch break listening to Hip hockey songs..

Fifty Mission Cap: Bill Barilko disappeared that summer...the last goal he ever scored won the Leafs the cup....

Fireworks: You were loosening my grip on Bobby Orr..

Heaven is a Better Place Today: Here's a glue guy....(for Atlanta Thrasher Dan Snyder)

Lonely End Of The Rink: oh to join the rush, as the season builds..

Nautical Disaster: a song with no hockey references, but I'll always think of it as the song played at Marine Midland Arena during a break when a trainer tended to an injured player.

So many life and concert memories with the Hip....this sucks.

Sad news, indeed.

Not a big fan and don't know much of their stuff, but I do like the following and of course Bobcaygeon ... I spent parts of the summers of my youth there and in the surrounding Kawartha Lakes area of Ontario ... very nice.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

Gord and the Hip are to me the quintessential Canadian band. A unique blend of rock, folk, blues and country, they have a particular essence that is like nothing else. Gord's knowledge of history, his ability to craft lyrics and visuals, put the entirety of Canada at the front of your senses. From the Maritimes to St. Katharine's, the Canadian plains, across the Rockies to the forests of BC. There will never be another musician like Gord, or another band like the Hip. I hope his last tour is his best tour.

I am a huge latecomer to the Hip. D4rk and others tried to introduce me to them in highschool but it never stuck. Never, until I saw them in concert for the first time, and stood in awe of Gord. I'll never hear the song "Scared" without picturing standing out at the Outer Harbor in the pouring rain, with a soaked Gord willing the elements to do their worst.

Probably the best thing Jerry Sullivan has ever written: http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/despite-rain-tragically-hip-delivers-warm-energetic-performance-20130720

I am a huge latecomer to the Hip. D4rk and others tried to introduce me to them in highschool but it never stuck. Never, until I saw them in concert for the first time, and stood in awe of Gord. I'll never hear the song "Scared" without picturing standing out at the Outer Harbor in the pouring rain, with a soaked Gord willing the elements to do their worst.

Probably the best thing Jerry Sullivan has ever written: http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/despite-rain-tragically-hip-delivers-warm-energetic-performance-20130720

Great review by Sully, I went to the makeup date of this show. I'm pulling out all the stops to make at least one of the farewell concerts this summer.

Definitely came as a shock to read this in the paper this morning. They are one of the few bands left that I have not seen live but wanted to. I was supposed to go when they did the huge show a few years ago on Canada Day in Niagara on the Lake but everyone who was supposed to go with me bailed leaving me to lose a bunch on tickets. I wasn't as big of a fan of their new stuff but they were definitely one of the most recent iconic Canadian bands. And they loved hockey. Gord IIRC is a Bruins fan even wore a home made Bruins sweater in the courage video. But IIRC I believe he did a show in Buffalo and had a Sabres Jersey on one time

Definitely came as a shock to read this in the paper this morning. They are one of the few bands left that I have not seen live but wanted to. I was supposed to go when they did the huge show a few years ago on Canada Day in Niagara on the Lake but everyone who was supposed to go with me bailed leaving me to lose a bunch on tickets. I wasn't as big of a fan of their new stuff but they were definitely one of the most recent iconic Canadian bands. And they loved hockey. Gord IIRC is a Bruins fan even wore a home made Bruins sweater in the courage video. But IIRC I believe he did a show in Buffalo and had a Sabres Jersey on one time

John Vogl wrote about it today.

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2016/05/24/night-gord-downie-swapped-bobby-orr-derek-roy/

Sad news indeed. One of my favorite bands. Much like hockey itself, felt like a secret gem that we in WNY enjoyed while most of the rest of the US was oblivious to its greatness.

Last saw them live in April 2007 in Cleveland. Sabres-Rangers playoff series was going on, and At least half the crowd was in blue and gold. Great night.

Grew up with the Hip like many others and I suppose its a cliche but their music was the soundtrack to our lives. Only saw The Hip once and was in awe of Gordie and how in the midst of a song he could morph into an encyclopedia and veer off onto some sidestreet and sing about the undulating blubber of a blue whale while the band jammed on around him then back into the song without missing a beat. So entertaining and tight from years on the road. Hopefully I'll get an opportunity to see them again. As to the Bruins sweater I'd heard Harry Sinden was his uncle or godfather. Not sure its true but it makes sense. Stay strong Gordie.

Grew up with the Hip like many others and I suppose its a cliche but their music was the soundtrack to our lives. Only saw The Hip once and was in awe of Gordie and how in the midst of a song he could morph into an encyclopedia and veer off onto some sidestreet and sing about the undulating blubber of a blue whale while the band jammed on around him then back into the song without missing a beat. So entertaining and tight from years on the road. Hopefully I'll get an opportunity to see them again. As to the Bruins sweater I'd heard Harry Sinden was his uncle or godfather. Not sure its true but it makes sense. Stay strong Gordie.

Yes, Harry Sinden is Gord's godfather.  NOIS "Killerwhaletank" is my favorite live bootleg song of all time, and like you said the band is right in sync with his ranting tangents wherever they may come in a song. IMO Gord is among the greatest frontmen in the history of rock music.

"GREED!! 100 year old eye jealousy!"

Here are the farewell tour dates.  Canada only so no Buffalo date unfortunately, will have to try for Hamilton or Toronto.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/tragically-hip-tour-dates-1.3598795

• Victoria, Jul 22. Save-on-Foods Memorial Centre.
  • Vancouver, Jul 24. Rogers Arena​.
  • Edmonton, Jul 28. Rexall Place.
  • Calgary, Aug 1. Scotiabank Saddledome.
  • Winnipeg, Aug 5. MTS Centre.
  • London, Ont., Aug. 8. Budweiser Gardens.
  • Toronto,  Aug 10 and Aug. 12. Air Canada Centre.
  • Hamilton , Aug. 16. Firstontario Centre.
  • Ottawa, Aug. 18. Canadian Tire Centre.
  • Kingston, Aug. 20. Rogers K-Rock Centre​.

Yes, Harry Sinden is Gord's godfather. NOIS "Killerwhaletank" is my favorite live bootleg song of all time, and like you said the band is right in sync with his ranting tangents wherever they may come in a song. IMO Gord is among the greatest frontmen in the history of rock music.

Here are the farewell tour dates. Canada only so no Buffalo date unfortunately, will have to try for Hamilton or Toronto.

I have heard rumors of a potential Niagara date (possibly St Catharine's or maybe NOTL again at Butlers Barracks?)

And the 'killer whale tank' version had been a staple in 97.7 for years in Niagara. The rant makes no dementia the song but is hilarious that in the middle of the song Gord would just go into that tangent for a few minutes and tell this story, then right back into the song.....

Always wanted to catch them live, but they rarely made it anywhere near me when on tour (NC or FL).  Oddly enough, I was alerted to this via text as I was sitting in a friend's living room yesterday, consoling his wife, as he just passed early Tuesday AM after a two year battle with terminal brain cancer.  Kind of surreal.

Always wanted to catch them live, but they rarely made it anywhere near me when on tour (NC or FL).  Oddly enough, I was alerted to this via text as I was sitting in a friend's living room yesterday, consoling his wife, as he just passed early Tuesday AM after a two year battle with terminal brain cancer.  Kind of surreal.

:o

Yes, Harry Sinden is Gord's godfather.  NOIS "Killerwhaletank" is my favorite live bootleg song of all time, and like you said the band is right in sync with his ranting tangents wherever they may come in a song. IMO Gord is among the greatest frontmen in the history of rock music.

Here are the farewell tour dates.  Canada only so no Buffalo date unfortunately, will have to try for Hamilton or Toronto.

Dang, that sucks. I'd almost feel bad taking a ticket from a Canadian in that case, he means so much more to them.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.