Steven Stamkos stays in Tampa Bay, 8.5mil x 8yrs

LGR4GM

Stamkos' show me the money poll  

110 members have voted

1. 1. How much $$$$$ will Stamkos get per year?

• $8 - 9.9million
    • $10 - 10.9million
    • $11 - 11.9million
    • $12mil or more
  2. 2. How much $$$$$ would YOU pay Stamkos per year? It is safe to assume he gets max deal of 7 years.

• $8 - 9.9million
    • $10 - 10.9million
    • $11 - 11.9million
    • $12mil or more

If you sign Stamkos, at least one of Kane, Reinhart, Ristolainen or Eichel will have to be gone come contract time.

I'd rather keep those four over a one dimensional player.

You can keep calling him a one dimensional player if you want buyout won't make it right. And nobody knows what will happen with Cap. Kane will probably be gone after his contract no matter who they add but it's also possible the cap goes crazy in two years. Do you really think the Canadien Dollar will stay were its at? What if reaches par again and Cap goes up to $90 Million?

You can keep calling him a one dimensional player if you want buyout won't make it right. And nobody knows what will happen with Cap. Kane will probably be gone after his contract no matter who they add but it's also possible the cap goes crazy in two years. Do you really think the Canadien Dollar will stay were its at? What if reaches par again and Cap goes up to $90 Million?

That's a ridiculous argument. The cap will not go up 20millon in 2 years. It's only gone up how much in the last decade? Seriously come on.

In 2007/8 the cap was 50 mill about 20mill under what it is now. So it took 8 years and included a massive tv deal for the cap to go up 20millon but the Canadian dollar is gonna magically rebound enough for that? Weak argument.

Edited by LGR4GM

The thing you seem to be missing is that we can afford Stamkos without a $90 million cap

Eichel Risto and Reino are not going to get 10 on their 2nd contracts.

Stamkos 10

ROR 7.5

Eichel 7

Reinhart 6

Risto 6

Kane 6

Bogo 5

Fowler* 5

Leaves 20-25 million for the bottom half of the roster.

That's a ridiculous argument. The cap will not go up 20millon in 2 years. It's only gone up how much in the last decade? Seriously come on.

In 2007/8 the cap was 50 mill about 20mill under what it is now. So it took 8 years and included a massive tv deal for the cap to go up 20millon but the Canadian dollar is gonna magically rebound enough for that? Weak argument.

They were projecting a $90 million cap before the dollar crashed. Murray himself was talking about the cap reaching $95M on GR the other day. The cap would have been $80M this year if not for the dollar.

They were projecting a $90 million cap before the dollar crashed. Murray himself was talking about the cap reaching $95M on GR the other day. The cap would have been $80M this year if not for the dollar.

The cap won't be 90 Million in 2 years. I don't know what to tell you. The gms and league always speculate about the cap going up a ton and it never does.

Stamkos isn't worth 11mil+ and no one who thinks that has even offered a decent argument for him making that. I've heard some stuff about him being a god and some stuff about his cap wouldn't be that bad.

Edited by LGR4GM

The cap won't be 90 Million in 2 years. I don't know what to tell you. The gms and league always speculate about the cap going up a ton and it never does.

Stamkos isn't worth 11mil+ and no one who thinks that has even offered a decent argument for him making that. I've heard some stuff about him being a god and some stuff about his cap wouldn't be that bad.

First of all, I didn't say it would just that you don't know.

Second, as I said before, I agree with Dudacek, it doesn't have to.

Third, even with a weak dollar, it might go up to $74M this year.

Fourth, I'm not sure that I would sign him and have been pretty consistent about that.

Finally, I'm still editing got someone to tell what well managed team in the last 30 years has had to lose a core player because of the cap? Tampa might lose Stamkos but if they were as well managed as I thought, they would have decided by lady off season to move him if they weren't going to sign him.

I haven't seen a decent argument for 9/yr. 

Of players to play 500+ minutes, Stamkos is 131st in the league in pts/60 minutes 5v5. 

So do we cough up $10mil/yr and just let him ride the bench until we get a power play?

Of players to play 500+ minutes, Stamkos is 131st in the league in pts/60 minutes 5v5. 

So do we cough up $10mil/yr and just let him ride the bench until we get a power play?

It's definitely a fair argument, but I always find it interesting when people leave out PP scoring. In today's NHL, special teams is often the difference in winning or losing, on the PP is often the only time skill has enough space to actually make something happen, with the way the game is played now. So obviously, PP scoring is a very important asset.

I'm pretty sure a ton of ROR's points this year are on the PP.

Not comparing Stamkos's all-around game to ROR's at all, for the record. Just pointing out that the PP is where a lot of offensive guys get their points.

Edited by Thorny

What's that saying about a little information in the wrong hands? I love how analytics has made statisticians out of people that can't balance their bank accounts.

It's definitely a fair argument, but I always find it interesting when people leave out PP scoring. In today's NHL, special teams is often the difference in winning or losing, on the PP is often the only time skill has enough space to actually make something happen, with the way the game is played now. So obviously, PP scoring is a very important asset.

Not comparing Stamkos's all-around game to ROR's at all, for the record. Just pointing out that the PP is where a lot of offensive guys get their points.

Good point. Power play performance is critical. But there is one thing you can count on, it's 5v5 play. You can't count on power plays. Especially today where penalty minutes continue to drop to the point where discipline has gotten so critical that refs need to make up calls just to get some flow into a game. 

Now if the league was still the way I prefer it, hitting, fighting, entertainment............. where there was plenty of power play opportunities I think I might change my opinion on bringing Stamkos to BFLO. 

Man, 8 vs 10 million each year for an extended period of time.... When you start throwing out that much money it's just crazy.

I know money is important.... But if I could take 8 million and play somewhere, I want, climate, near home, city, etc. Vs taking the 1 million more (which is gone in taxes), it's easy.

Stamkos won't end up in buffalo, I don't think it's in GMTM's plans either, and this is just a hunch. I'm not sure adding Stamkos next year gets us in the playoffs either.

I remember a long time ago fans would criticize Andreychuck because most of his goals were on the PP. Like that is a bad thing.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.