Steven Stamkos stays in Tampa Bay, 8.5mil x 8yrs

LGR4GM

Stamkos' show me the money poll  

110 members have voted

1. 1. How much $$$$$ will Stamkos get per year?

• $8 - 9.9million
    • $10 - 10.9million
    • $11 - 11.9million
    • $12mil or more
  2. 2. How much $$$$$ would YOU pay Stamkos per year? It is safe to assume he gets max deal of 7 years.

• $8 - 9.9million
    • $10 - 10.9million
    • $11 - 11.9million
    • $12mil or more

O'Reilly brings much more to the table than Stamkos.

Tough to compare Crosby and Ovechkin to Stamkos because outside of Crosby's early Cup win, both him and Ovechkin are widely considered to be playoff chokers as well. And their team's success in the postseason reflects that.

O'Reilly brings much more to the table than Stamkos.

Tough to compare Crosby and Ovechkin to Stamkos because outside of Crosby's early Cup win, both him and Ovechkin are widely considered to be playoff chokers as well. And their team's success in the postseason reflects that.

I would hardly pin playoff woes of the Caps and Pens on Ovechkin and Crosby. Ovechkin was amazing in last year's playoffs

I would hardly pin playoff woes of the Caps and Pens on Ovechkin and Crosby. Ovechkin was amazing in last year's playoffs

Neither have picked up their team and carried them on their shoulders. That is what I expect out of a player seeking $10mil/yr. I'm not saying Stamkos isn't a great player. I'm saying he's not elite and he's not worthy of the demands and the money he wants.

We'll see how inspired I get tomorrow evening. The wife's going out with some friends, and you know what they say: when the cat's away, the mouse will use that time to record and interpret advanced statistics to argue with strangers on the internet!

Yes they do say that

Stamkos is a hockey god.   Give him how ever much he wants to play a position of his choosing with whoever he wants and whatever letter he wants on his jersey he can have.

For those comparing him to O'Reilly... that's terrible.   Stamkos is a pure goal scorer, I'd put him second in the league only to Ovi.    Buffalo has no pure goal scorer on their roster.   Buffalo's problem is goal scoring, Stamkos addition would be monumental and immediately put Buffalo in the mix for the playoffs next year.    You don't pass up opportunities to get players like him, only happens once every decade or so.

O'Reilly is an all around guy who plays all ends of the rink and can score some.    He's valuable.  Stamkos is just as valuable for the amount of pucks he can put in the net.    He's not gonna play the same role as O'Reilly so I'd say a better comparison on the Sabres roster would be Matt Moulson.   End of discussion.

Edited by pi2000

Neither have picked up their team and carried them on their shoulders. That is what I expect out of a player seeking $10mil/yr. I'm not saying Stamkos isn't a great player. I'm saying he's not elite and he's not worthy of the demands and the money he wants.

Oh come on now. 

Stamkos is a hockey god.   Give him how ever much he wants to play a position of his choosing with whoever he wants and whatever letter he wants on his jersey he can have.

For those comparing him to O'Reilly... that's terrible.   Stamkos is a pure goal scorer, I'd put him second in the league only to Ovi.    Buffalo has no pure goal scorer on their roster.   Buffalo's problem is goal scoring, Stamkos addition would be monumental and immediately put Buffalo in the mix for the playoffs next year.    You don't pass up opportunities to get players like him, only happens once every decade or so.

O'Reilly is an all around guy who plays all ends of the rink and can score some.    He's valuable.  Stamkos is just as valuable for the amount of pucks he can put in the net.    He's not gonna play the same role as O'Reilly so I'd say a better comparison on the Sabres roster would be Matt Moulson.   End of discussion.

Jack. Eichel.

Not even close. 

Buffalo has 2 rookies leading the team in scoring. They're only going to get better. Their problem this year may be not enough goals, but I do not think that is in any way a reflection of the promising future of our forward group. And that's exactly what you get with Stamkos, a supposed remedy for future issues, issues that don't exist IMO. A giant suture for the wrong ailment

What? Stamkos is a hockey god so you compare him to Matty Mou?

Jack. Eichel.

Winner-winner

A lack of Cups(s) isn't directly related to a single player's performance in the playoffs. Ovechkin carried his team in the playoffs last year, in every zone on the ice. He was an absolute animal

Edited by WildCard

Not even close. 

Buffalo has 2 rookies leading the team in scoring. They're only going to get better. Their problem this year may be not enough goals, but I do not think that is in any way a reflection of the promising future of our forward group. And that's exactly what you get with Stamkos, a supposed remedy for future issues, issues that don't exist IMO. A giant suture for the wrong ailment

Winner-winner

A lack of Cups(s) isn't directly related to a single player's performance in the playoffs. Ovechkin carried his team in the playoffs last year, in every zone on the ice. He was an absolute animal

How much would you offer Stamkos?  I'd offer him max deal.    There's only 1 better goal scorer in the league.  

Edited by pi2000

Number of 40+ goal scorers per Cup champion since the last lockout:

Carolina: 1 (Staal)

Anaheim: 1 (Selanne)

Detroit: 1 (Zetterberg)

Pittsburgh: 0

Chicago: 0

Boston: 0

LA: 0

Chicago: 0 *(48 game season, Kane & Toews *on pace* for 40 even each,which they may or may not have maintained)

This, of course, should not be misconstrued to mean a pure goal scorer like Stamkos somehow prevents winning championships--such an argument would be nonsense. What I think this does lend itself to is how much of a luxury item a Stamkos-type is. Know what's not luxury? The blue lines employed by those teams. I dare anyone to tell me we're a Cam Fowler away from matching any of those teams' back ends.

If anyone is wondering, yes, I think a better analysis would include the number of 40 goal scorers not just by Cup winner, but probably conference finalist. I'm just not putting in that much time at the moment :)

How much would you offer Stamkos?  I'd offer him max deal.    There's only 1 better goal scorer in the league.  

I'd take Stamkos at $10mil/yr, than two 20 goal guys at $5mil/yr each.     Let's assume Stamkos scores on averge 35/yr for the next 7 years.    Are you going to get that same production from anybody else?

The max deal would be something like 14million for 7 years which is ridiculous for anyone.

A 20g scorer signing a contract this off season is probably making more than 5mil.

I believe that you will get 35goals per year from Eichel probably starting next year. He'll be close.

Chicago: 0 *(48 game season, Kane & Toews *on pace* for 40 even each,which they may or may not have maintained)

This, of course, should not be misconstrued to mean a pure goal scorer like Stamkos somehow prevents winning championships--such an argument would be nonsense. What I think this does lend itself to is how much of a luxury item a Stamkos-type is. Know what's not luxury? The blue lines employed by those teams. I dare anyone to tell me we're a Cam Fowler away from matching any of those teams' back ends.

If anyone is wondering, yes, I think a better analysis would include the number of 40 goal scorers not just by Cup winner, but probably conference finalist. I'm just not putting in that much time at the moment :)

Each and every one of those teams had absolutely filthy blue lines too. At least I think Carolina did

Edited by WildCard

This is why if I have 10-12mil to toss around I want to find two really solid 2nd pairing defenders for 5-6mil a piece and lock them down.  I think Murray needs to look very hard at the top couple of college UFA defenders and see if he can get at least 1 of them (not for 5-6mil, but get them to sign with Buffalo)

Edited by LGR4GM

The max deal would be something like 14million for 7 years which is ridiculous for anyone.

A 20g scorer signing a contract this off season is probably making more than 5mil.

I believe that you will get 35goals per year from Eichel probably starting next year. He'll be close.

I take 2 players for 20 goals each every single time over Stamkos, depending of course on their effectiveness elsewhere 

I agree--I'm penciling Eichel in for 30. I also think you might be able to get a guy like Hoffman to give you another 30 goals for half the price of Stamkos' 40.

I think what will happen is that on July 1st or whenever he can sign, Stamkos will get something like 12mil per year for 7 years from Toronto, be named captain and then the Leafs will be all like "we are making the playoffs now" but they won't.

Isn't this the point of ROR, Samson, and Eichel anyways? To throw otherwise average wingers on their line and watch them flourish as Neal and Kunitz have done?

I think what will happen is that on July 1st or whenever he can sign, Stamkos will get something like 12mil per year for 7 years from Toronto, be named captain and then the Leafs will be all like "we are making the playoffs now" but they won't.

Reilly, Nylander, Marner, and Stamkos? Plus whoever they get this year? I don't think they'll ever win the Cup if they sign on Stamkos, the age gap between the bulk of their talent on Stamkos prime is just too large IMO. Still, they'll be annoying as hell

I take 2 players for 20 goals each every single time over Stamkos, depending of course on their effectiveness elsewhere 

You need to stop with this nonsense or he's not gonna want to come here :)

Yeah I get it.   Eichel will prolly score 30 next year, but who else on this roster will even get close to that?   Kane maybe?   Ennis if he's back to his old self?  This team still sorely lacks scoring, 4th worst in goals scored this year.    Their goals against is right in the middle of the league and with a young defense and injured goalie.   Their goals against will improve next year without adding any big $$$ UFA's on the back-end.   

I'd look at a Stamkos signing similar to the Pat LaFontaine deal in the early 90's.     It's not just the goals he scores, but the intagibles, the leadership, etc... that make everybody around him better.    I'd rather have guys like Eichel and Reinhart follow in the footsteps of Stamkos than a Matt Moulson, BRian Gionta or Evander Kane.    O'Reilly is great too, but he's young as well.

Not even close.

Winner-winner

One year does not make his entire postseason career.

Crosby has a higher ppg than Patrick Kane, yet Crosby's terrible in the postseason?

I said his team is known as chokers.

Stamkos doesn't even step up in the playoffs, much less carries them.

And I was referring to Ovechkin because the quote of yours that I used specifically referred to Ovechkin.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

You need to stop with this nonsense or he's not gonna want to come here :)

Yeah I get it.   Eichel will prolly score 30 next year, but who else on this roster will even get close to that?   Kane maybe?   Ennis if he's back to his old self?  This team still sorely lacks scoring, 4th worst in goals scored this year.    Their goals against is right in the middle of the league and with a young defense and injured goalie.   Their goals against will improve next year without adding any big $$$ UFA's on the back-end.   

I'd look at a Stamkos signing similar to the Pat LaFontaine deal in the early 90's.     It's not just the goals he scores, but the intagibles, the leadership, etc... that make everybody around him better.    I'd rather have guys like Eichel and Reinhart follow in the footsteps of Stamkos than a Matt Moulson, BRian Gionta or Evander Kane.    O'Reilly is great too, but he's young as well.

ROR is older than Evander Kane :huh:     I also don't think this team lacks leadership in anyway.  

Reinhart has a good shot at scoring 30 next year. Kane might do it. Really depends on the changes the league makes and if Refs are going to call all the holding and grabbing.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.