World Cup 2016

MODO Hockey

So, if there is a thread about this already move my post. 

Can anyone tell me the reason of this:

Team Europe 

Team North America

WTF?

NHL Network's Steve Mears sits down with several NHL stars to talk about the significance of playing for your country at the upcoming World Cup "

You have Canada, USA, Team North America ((23-and-under players), Team Europe (rest of Europe), Finland, Sweden, Czech Republic, Russia.

Nothing makes sense.

What are your thoughts ? 

I bet there is, but that is not the point i believe. 

Why call it WORLD CUP when there are teams that doesnt even represent a specific country, when other teams do, that is most retarded ever.

Can't disagree with that.

The rosters are getting released today, and so far the Sabres have:

Finland: Risto

Sweden: Nobody  :(

The other rosters are announced throughout the day, with the last at 6:45pm est

Can't disagree with that.

The rosters are getting released today, and so far the Sabres have:

Finland: Risto

Sweden: Nobody  :(

The other rosters are announced throughout the day, with the last at 6:45pm est

So, lets say Team North America wins, Canada gets the silver and USA bronce.

That means USA and Canada wins Gold, Silver and Bronce all together, no matter what team wins USA or Canda will get 2 medals each. It doesnt make any fkn sense at all, jesus.. who came up with this stupid idea. 

Edited by MODO Hockey

I think the idea of the Team North America and Team Europe is to make the tourney more competitive.  If those teams were replaced with say Slovakia and Germany then you would run into those two teams getting demolished every game.  Also, some really good young NA players and Europeans not born in Finland, Sweden, Czech or Russia would not be in the competition.  I think one of the focuses of the World Cup is to grow the game and having 2 teams get demoed and highly skilled guys miss out on the opportunity is counterproductive.

Having said all that, I'm not sure I agree with the format.

To me the World Cup should bring out a big sense of National pride.  Being Canadian, if we were to lose to say the Russians (or Swedes :flirt: ) in the finals then there is that whole 'well we really should of had McDavid on our team.'  It'll be fun watching the young guns team but then it gets conflicting with who to actually root for.  There would be more national pride if Canada were to win so I'm not sure who would actually be cheering on the young guns to win from the beginning.

Remember, this is a marketing thing for the NHL. They want those young stars in the game. Eichel and McDavid and Matthews all on the same team? Oh yeah, thats getting some views.

As a non-NA resident I get why you're not happy with it, but as someone from the states I just can't wait to see that young guns team in action.

I think the idea of the Team North America and Team Europe is to make the tourney more competitive.  If those teams were replaced with say Slovakia and Germany then you would run into those two teams getting demolished every game.  Also, some really good young NA players and Europeans not born in Finland, Sweden, Czech or Russia would not be in the competition.  I think one of the focuses of the World Cup is to grow the game and having 2 teams get demoed and highly skilled guys miss out on the opportunity is counterproductive.

To me the World Cup should bring out a big sense of National pride.  Being Canadian, if we were to lose to say the Russians (or Swedes :flirt: ) in the finals then there is that whole 'well we really should of had McDavid on our team.'  It'll be fun watching the young guns team but then it gets conflicting with who to actually root for.  There would be more national pride if Canada were to win so I'm not sure who would actually be cheering on the young guns to win from the beginning.

I think as long as the NHL stays in the Olympics I'm ok with this format for the World Cup; real national pride is on the line in the Olympics for me. World Cup is just fun.

Remember, this is a marketing thing for the NHL. They want those young stars in the game. Eichel and McDavid and Matthews all on the same team? Oh yeah, thats getting some views.

As a non-NA resident I get why you're not happy with it, but as someone from the states I just can't wait to see that young guns team in action.

I think as long as the NHL stays in the Olympics I'm ok with this format for the World Cup; real national pride is on the line in the Olympics for me. World Cup is just fun.

I agree with this but I think the writing is on the wall that NHL will be pulled from the Olympics and this will be the replacement.  Hope I'm wrong on that though.

I could not agree more, this is why you have World championships, because of national pride overall. Its fkn rediculous calling this tourney 'World Cup'.

I get ur point, but many young and good players does not get to compete in this tourney because there is no spot for them, it might have been if every country that represent hockey on elite level would

have gotten their spot in this "World Cup".

Its like the World Championship in hockey every year, nobody gives a blody sh1t about this tourney since the countrys cant even bring their best players because of NHL, winning World Championship in hockey means jacksh1t. 

You could compare that to put NHL on hold and AHL calder cup becomes Stanley Cup, aweful idea right? but that is what World Championship in hockey is basicly.

When other sports hold World championships, leagues stops so countrys can bring their best players, tobad that is not the case in hockey.

This World Cup is more of a joke to me honestly. 

I could not agree more, this is why you have World championships, because of national pride overall. Its fkn rediculous calling this tourney 'World Cup'.

I get ur point, but many young and good players does not get to compete in this tourney because there is no spot for them, it might have been if every country that represent hockey on elite level would

have gotten their spot in this "World Cup".

Its like the World Championship in hockey every year, nobody gives a blody sh1t about this tourney since the countrys cant even bring their best players because of NHL, winning World Championship in hockey means jacksh1t. 

You could compare that to put NHL on hold and AHL calder cup becomes Stanley Cup, aweful idea right? but that is what World Championship in hockey is basicly.

When other sports hold World championships, leagues stops so countrys can bring their best players, tobad that is not the case in hockey.

This World Cup is more of a joke to me honestly. 

Agreed.  As NS said, this move screams Gary Bettman.

I was getting all angry and grumpy about Bettman being a dillweed, and then read this. 

Sure. Why not.

I'm the opposite of this.  The Olympics has way too many teams and playing teams like Norway and France just bogs the whole thing down, requires a brutal schedule, and then the NHL players have to come back exhausted.  And with winter Olympics in Korea, I really want the NHL to say no thanks altogether.

Why can't they do it like they used to?  CAN, US, FIN, SWE, RUS and CZE and everyone plays everyone else once.  Top 2 teams then play best of 3.  Some of the best hockey ever played happened in those old Canada Cups under this format.  The 1987 Canada Cup Finals for me was the greatest sporting event I have ever seen, bar nothing.

Edited by BagBoy

I'm the opposite of this.  The Olympics has way too many teams and playing teams like Norway and France just bogs the whole thing down, requires a brutal schedule, and then the NHL players have to come back exhausted.  And with winter Olympics in Korea, I really want the NHL to say no thanks.

Why can't they do it like they used to?  CAN, US, FIN, SWE, RUS and CZE and everyone plays everyone else once.  Top 2 teams then play best of 3.  Some of the best hockey ever played happened in those old Canada Cups under this format.  The 1987 Finals for me were the greatest sporting event I have ever seen, bar nothing.

Because if you want to grow the game you don't tell players who were born outside of those countries "Thanks but no thanks, you don't count." You want to tell Marion Hossa and Zdeno Chara they don't belong?

Look at the Euro Roster, theres some HOFers in there for sure:

CckuRxaWAAAgGsH.jpg

Edited by sabills

and on red potatoes - yummy.

Because if you want to grow the game you don't tell players who were born outside of those countries "Thanks but no thanks, you don't count." You want to tell Marion Hossa and Zdeno Chara they don't belong?

Give them front row seats.

That Team Europe roster blows.  They are going to get eaten alive.  In fact, I'm not even sure that they'd be worth a damn as an NHL team.

Edited by BagBoy

Named to Team North America are:
John Gibson, Anaheim Ducks
Connor Hellebuyck, Manitoba Moose – Winnipeg Jets hold NHL rights
Matt Murray, Pittsburgh Penguins

Aaron Ekblad, Florida Panthers
Seth Jones, Columbus Blue Jackets
Ryan Murray, Columbus Blue Jackets
Morgan Rielly, Toronto Maple Leafs

Sean Couturier, Philadelphia Flyers
Jack Eichel, Buffalo Sabres
Johnny Gaudreau, Calgary Flames
Dylan Larkin, Detroit Red Wings
Nathan MacKinnon, Colorado Avalanche
Connor McDavid, Edmonton Oilers
J.T. Miller, New York Rangers
Sean Monahan, Calgary Flames
Brandon Saad, Columbus Blue Jackets

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/team-north-america-names-preliminary-world-cup-of-hockey-roster/

Edited by WildCard

I'm the opposite of this.  The Olympics has way too many teams and playing teams like Norway and France just bogs the whole thing down, requires a brutal schedule, and then the NHL players have to come back exhausted.  And with winter Olympics in Korea, I really want the NHL to say no thanks altogether.

Why can't they do it like they used to?  CAN, US, FIN, SWE, RUS and CZE and everyone plays everyone else once.  Top 2 teams then play best of 3.  Some of the best hockey ever played happened in those old Canada Cups under this format.  The 1987 Canada Cup Finals for me was the greatest sporting event I have ever seen, bar nothing.

The big issue is NHL, just have to much saying in this world of hockey. When it is world championship, then NHL should stop, and let players attend and play for their countrys, that would finally bring some prestige to the

world championship in hockey. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.